YORK AWAY

myview

42 minutes ago, Crown Flatter said:

Today’s match is another tough one; York look the better outfit and I am sure will be much stronger and quicker than Dewsbury who need to show a massive change in commitment and skill after last week’s shocker. 

Will the team be changed, or will LG give those players another chance, simply to redeem themselves? I think not, but too many changes might affect the squad too much, so I just wonder if this might be our line up:

1 Turner

2 Gabriel 

3 Tomlinson 

4 Graham

5 Carr 

6 Sweeting 

7 Beharrell 

8 Kidd

9 Speakman

10 Beckett

11 Walton

12 Knowles 

13 Schofield 

14 Annakin

15 Sykes

16 Ferguson

17 Peltier 

Even so, sadly it will make no difference whether my choice is any different to our coach’s, the result will be the same. 

York 42-12 Dewsbury 

FTS: Walton

MoM: Beharrell 

Att: 1244

I can't see Ryder being left out and including Sykes would, in my opinion, be a mistake.

Your forecast is probably about right unless our defence improves markedly.

I will not be there so will watch it on the radio.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the halfback pair could create a try in 80 minutes

Wrong combination??? 

Fans rumblings grow louder in some quarters regarding up the middle stuff & poor selections

Yet to hear on today's performance🤔 

But our next 2 games are against teams on fire both Sheffield & Widnes winning today🤔

Early days yet... But close of play on the 1st of May is a line in the sand regarding where we are as a team

Fall short of 3-4 wins by then

Some arkward questions might need some even more arkward answers regarding coaches & players

I feel we've got the best squad that's been assembled for a fair few years🤔

We got over the line (or close to it) four or five times, yet only one touchdown, but Knowles was deemed offside. Peltier held up and Gabriel lost the ball touching down. 
Didn’t go, but listened to Radio York and the brief commentary from Radio Leeds. 
We seemed to do okay for sixty minutes or so and then disappeared. 
i would like to know what those supporters who went, saw of our performance. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

Game first half performance today but again lacking the wit and wisdom to pierce the line effectively and the weather conditions also probably contributed to the close first half - second half we still didn’t do anything to convince we had the guile to be able to score and defence again suspect. However even Knights fans thought the final score didn’t reflect our efforts on the pitch but it will be yet another long hard season scraping against relegation I’m afraid. My first visit to the LNER stadium - not the best architectural gem in that fair city, exposed ends in the first half made for a very cold experience and conversely the bright sunlight in the second half was blinding. Potty mouthed youths from York didn’t help but at least one of their elderly supporters was game enough to challenge them though waving a walking stick in menacing fashion is a help. 

On 04/02/2022 at 15:15, coolie said:

Unfortunately my second eldest child in her wisdom has organised my grandchildren's birthday party at a play gym on Sunday 1pm till 3pm 

Destroying any hope of rugby league on sunday

And the fascist dictator she is I cannot fail to turn up.. Or else

Why the fluff she couldn't have organised it for Saturday is beyond comprehension 

SUNDAY IS RUGBY LEAGUE DAY

🏉👊🏉👊🏉👊🏉👊🏉👊🏉👊🏉👊🏉👊🏉

I reckon you'll have had a better time in a warm play gym with the ankle-biters than watching your lot this afternoon. With a bit of luck you'll have come away with a slice of cake and a party bag... which is more than your fellow-sufferers who made the trip to York managed.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

1 hour ago, Crown Flatter said:

We got over the line (or close to it) four or five times, yet only one touchdown, but Knowles was deemed offside. Peltier held up and Gabriel lost the ball touching down. 
Didn’t go, but listened to Radio York and the brief commentary from Radio Leeds. 
We seemed to do okay for sixty minutes or so and then disappeared. 
i would like to know what those supporters who went, saw of our performance. 

Thanks for listening CF. Yep, good 60 minutes from your lads. If they had got tries a couple of times before the break and Beharrell had reached his kick before Knowles, it would have been close. Thought 30-2 was a bit harsh on Rams.

Impressed with Peltier's first spell, young Butterworth, one fabulous run from Ryder and Turner will grow into it. Your props worked hard to gain metres

41 minutes ago, andyacko said:

Thanks for listening CF. Yep, good 60 minutes from your lads. If they had got tries a couple of times before the break and Beharrell had reached his kick before Knowles, it would have been close. Thought 30-2 was a bit harsh on Rams.

Impressed with Peltier's first spell, young Butterworth, one fabulous run from Ryder and Turner will grow into it. Your props worked hard to gain metres

I enjoyed your commentary (as I did on Monday when I was in London). I expected a fair amount of York bias, but was pleasantly surprised that it was not so, especially when you commented on the fellow in front of you who could be clearly heard shouting “offside”. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

Compliments to the commentry team pn BBC radio York. Very fair and good knowledge of the players. l thought with the wind behind us in the first half we should have made more use of the kicking game. l hate to say it but on a dry calm day l think we would have conceded more. l was concerned at the commentators comment that Beharrell was ineffective in the second half. Any news on Becketts injury? we seriously dont need that...he must be gutted poor lad

44 minutes ago, Crown Flatter said:

I enjoyed your commentary (as I did on Monday when I was in London). I expected a fair amount of York bias, but was pleasantly surprised that it was not so, especially when you commented on the fellow in front of you who could be clearly heard shouting “offside”. 

I'm a Knights fan, CF but I'm a rugby league fan and particularly a fan of rugby league below Super League. I remember going to the old Crown Flatt, loved the place.                                                                                                                          Dewsbury are always spot on as a club whenever I come over - nice folks.

I'm not saying I don't get a little one-eyed occasionally but if a team or individual players put a good shift in, I hope I can appreciate that otherwise it's time to stay at home.   Many thanks. See you at yours.

39 minutes ago, LeagueConvert said:

Compliments to the commentry team pn BBC radio York. Very fair and good knowledge of the players. l thought with the wind behind us in the first half we should have made more use of the kicking game. l hate to say it but on a dry calm day l think we would have conceded more. l was concerned at the commentators comment that Beharrell was ineffective in the second half. Any news on Becketts injury? we seriously dont need that...he must be gutted poor lad

Ineffective mainly cos he didn't see much ball, LC. Gutted for the lad when he fashioned a try and Knowlsey got there first from an offside position.

It was definitely an ankle and he couldn't walk on it. Shame for him cos the lad had a good, strong game.

14 minutes ago, LeagueConvert said:

Has there been a postmatch interview with LG posted anywhere yet? 

Didnt happen on BBC RL but they did broadcast interview with Matty Beharrell.

2 hours ago, Sir Jekyll Stocking said:

I reckon you'll have had a better time in a warm play gym with the ankle-biters than watching your lot this afternoon. With a bit of luck you'll have come away with a slice of cake and a party bag... which is more than your fellow-sufferers who made the trip to York managed.

No I didn't get a party bag😠😠😠😠

Or a bounce on the trampolines

Juice contained 99% water

Staff were horrible little fluffers

Ignorant, arrogant, and lots of chips on their shoulders... And all under 18

Felt like I was spending the afternoon with Sheffield Eagles fans👊👊👊👊👊👊👊

But the little kids had a good time🤔

Even If the big kids didn't 🤔

47 minutes ago, LeagueConvert said:

Has there been a postmatch interview with LG posted anywhere yet? 

Radio Leeds said he could not be found. Perhaps the LNER Stadium, new as it is, still might have a little cubby hole in which to hide!

Legs, Dews, Legs.

For the first 30 mins we dominated possession and field position but didn’t have the creativity to break down York. I watched them live on Monday v Fev and don’t think they are that much better than we are, they are fitter and played the conditions better today. 

Beharrell was running things in the first half and as Andy alludes to above, he rarely got the ball in the second half. What’s concerning is a real clear lack of match fitness for some who faded from 55mins onwards. We were in the contest up to the hour mark.

Also concerning is what appears to be our lack of attacking structure; no plan, no shape, no direction to the way we look to create space and break a defence down. Our first receivers immediately go sideways rather than attack a shoulder and fix defenders. I can only assume this is deliberate as it was a handful of lads doing it. When we do look to open up our dummy runners drift rather than fix defenders and it’s too easy to just slide across as a defence and use the touch line.

There is potential and I’ve no doubt more game time will help with the cohesion but worry about the fitness levels. 

Beharrell, Butterworth and Peltier played well and deserve recognising for that. I’d move Ryder inside too, wasted out wide. 

Roll on the next one! 

I went to this game as a neutral. Been brutally honest the scoreline didn’t reflect the game at all. Whilst York did in the end just edge it I’d say a margin of between 10/14 points would have been a truer reflection.

dewsbury could have and should have gone in at half time in front on the back of a good kicking game. They were in the arm wrestle for 60 minutes however York’s 2nd try clearly deflated them. Even then at 24-2 with less than a couple of minutes on the clock dewsbury scored what looked a perfect try to me and the players at the side of the posts which would have given the score line a fairer reflection imo.

York are a quality side at this level and have a wealth of super league experience has opposed to dewsbury that is littered with young inexperienced players and championship players past there best. Obviously the two clubs are working from totally different budgets! Looking from the outside I’d be judging dewsbury when they come up against the teams around them in the meantime so long has the commitment is there and it was yesterday I wouldn’t be too unhappy. 

Archived