England win the World Cup or your club win their division?

Eddie

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Don't get me wrong, I agree, I was just working off the presumption they will get to the final. I would absolutely love to see England v Tonga in the final. 

England v Tonga will be likely SF. Aus v NZ in the other.

27 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

England v Tonga will be likely SF. Aus v NZ in the other.

Ah I see, yes I've just looked at the way the quarters will work and they really have worked it to try to manufacture an England v Australia final haven't they? I thought if England finished as group runners up it would have put them in the opposite side of the quarters draw to Tonga but it seems they would just end up playing in the other game in the same side. Oh well, let's hope someone can beat the Aussies in the semis then! 

Absolute no contest for me; club before country. 

I’ve no real relationship with the international side in the way others do. Growing up, tours weren’t the tours my Dad and Grandad were used to, the Great Britain brand was the bigger brand out of the two, England were essentially an ‘A’ team playing in the Federation Shield, we went eight years without a World Cup and during that period, Great Britain played every year, whether home or away, so when it changed to England, while the players were very much the same players who previously played for England, it never felt the same to me and I didn’t get that same buzz for England as I did for Great Britain and it never really felt as big as it did when Great Britain were playing. Even fast forwarding to recent history, England v New Zealand has been played that many times I feel like I’m stuck in Groundhog Day come November time each year and there’s no real variation in who England play. Maybe I’d be more interested if Australia, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and PNG were oppositions but mainly because I’d look forward to the rarity of seeing them rather than being excited or interested in England playing. 

As for club rugby. A final tends to be a family event and while that number has dwindled from my childhood and it’s not quite the same as it used to be, a final is typically one of very few happy events that manages to bring together the family so any opportunity for that, I’m in for. 

18 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Ah I see, yes I've just looked at the way the quarters will work and they really have worked it to try to manufacture an England v Australia final haven't they? I thought if England finished as group runners up it would have put them in the opposite side of the quarters draw to Tonga but it seems they would just end up playing in the other game in the same side. Oh well, let's hope someone can beat the Aussies in the semis then! 

At least the automatic places have been reduced to the semi-finalists which will benefit developing countries like Serbia which have a domestic set up. I'd like to see a place reserved for the African champions.

Club 1st every time. 

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

For me it's about what I feel most connected to, which is my town far more than my country, so to be honest if it was one or the other I'd pick Wigan winning Super League, but obviously that's not saying I don't care about the international game. I'd be as happy as anyone if England won the World Cup.

RL is a club sport. So Club. Only a small number of nations with a GDP larger than that of Wigan or Wollongong are capable of competition at the highest level. That's unfortunate but just the way it is. Not to say I'm not fully behind the World Cup and the English team of course I am. I also think the England brand is maxxed out with Football, Cricket and Union so was silly to change from the established, much more unique brand. I look at the NFL and others and know the International game is not the be all and end all and that the Club game is the heart and soul. 

England winning the World Cup would be the best thing that has happened to our game for decades and would have a positive effect from the top to the bottom so it would be a World Cup win every day of the week for me.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I would rather see Huns win Super League first and foremost, but that is mainly because it is even further out of reach than England winning the World Cup. Even Warrington will have their year before Hunslet, so just on the fact I could possibly see England win the World Cup before I push up the daisies and will never see Huns win the league, that is what forms my preference.

And so we shall again…

3 hours ago, Jughead said:

Absolute no contest for me; club before country. 

I’ve no real relationship with the international side in the way others do. Growing up, tours weren’t the tours my Dad and Grandad were used to, the Great Britain brand was the bigger brand out of the two, England were essentially an ‘A’ team playing in the Federation Shield, we went eight years without a World Cup and during that period, Great Britain played every year, whether home or away, so when it changed to England, while the players were very much the same players who previously played for England, it never felt the same to me and I didn’t get that same buzz for England as I did for Great Britain and it never really felt as big as it did when Great Britain were playing. Even fast forwarding to recent history, England v New Zealand has been played that many times I feel like I’m stuck in Groundhog Day come November time each year and there’s no real variation in who England play. Maybe I’d be more interested if Australia, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and PNG were oppositions but mainly because I’d look forward to the rarity of seeing them rather than being excited or interested in England playing. 

As for club rugby. A final tends to be a family event and while that number has dwindled from my childhood and it’s not quite the same as it used to be, a final is typically one of very few happy events that manages to bring together the family so any opportunity for that, I’m in for. 

Excited for the World Cup then mate?

1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Excited for the World Cup then mate?

Yes, most definitely. 

Australia, the prospect of this generation of Tongans, the Fijian hymns, the pre match traditions of the likes of PNG and Samoa, I’m hoping Jamaica bring some colour and some fun to proceedings and Ireland, Scotland and the Cook Islands could have good teams  depending on who puts their hand up for them. 

As for England? I don’t really feel any attachment to them and don’t really care how they do. They could have a good crack, there’s the players to do so but as ever, it will come down to tactics and how they’re allowed to play. 

Unbelievably, you can be excited for international rugby league and not an England fan. 

4 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

How is it manufactured for an England v Australia Final? The Final could be Tonga v New Zealand 

29 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Better hope Lock Lane don't make it to Old Trafford in the same year then

So not funny. Still recovering.

40 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

How is it manufactured for an England v Australia Final? The Final could be Tonga v New Zealand 

Yeah and it could be Jamaica v Greece. I said try to manufacture, I didn't say they have manufactured it to definitely, no question about it, be that final. The draw has clearly been worked out to keep England and Australia apart so that they could only possibly meet in the final because that is the big blockbuster game in international rugby league, doesn't exactly take a genius to work that out. 

4 hours ago, NW10LDN said:

At least the automatic places have been reduced to the semi-finalists which will benefit developing countries like Serbia which have a domestic set up. I'd like to see a place reserved for the African champions.

This is a good thing cos it means some of the qualifying matches should spark a bit more interest and publicity and be more competitive as well with the Pacific Island teams taking part and the return of a Middle-East/Africa qualifier seen as there wasn't one this last time with Lebanon's automatic qualification. That will be good if developing nations like Nigeria could enter cos there seems to be some real progress being made there and in a couple of other African countries. You mention Serbia and with the development work going on in so many other European countries, Euro qualifying could be quite a big deal. 

Archived