thecrab

4th February 1987

Oldham 10 Wigan 8

Tries: Kirwan

Goals: Burke,3.

Venue: Watersheddings

Attendance10050

Team

1. Mick Burke, 2. Hussein M'Barki, 3. Des Foy, 4. Gary Bridge, 5. Mike Taylor, 6. David Topliss, 7. Paddy Kirwan, 8. Bruce Clark, 9. Ian Sanderson, 10. Hugh Waddell, 11. Mick Worrall, 12. David Hobbs, 13. Terry Flanagan, 14. Gary Warnecke, 15. Stuart Raper

Enjoy!! 🔴⚪🔴⚪🔴⚪

Best ever !  the quality, the atmosphere, the drama ........it had it all !!  ..... am waiting for the film of it to come out on Disney+ 

Wigan side that night was :

Hampson, Russell, Stephenson, Lydon, Gill; Edwards, Gregory, Case, Kiss, Wane, Goodway, Potter, Hanley (capt). Subs: Byrne, West, Gildart, Lucas. 

Later in 1987 they went on to win the inaugural World Club Championship against Manly.

just been watching arguably our biggest win in the cup, when we beat widnes at naughton  park 4-14.

widnes never crossed our line,what struck me was the fitness of the oldham team who where then in the second division.

to watch type in widnes v oldham cup 25th feb,1990 

2 hours ago, tandle said:

just been watching arguably our biggest win in the cup, when we beat widnes at naughton  park 4-14.

widnes never crossed our line,what struck me was the fitness of the oldham team who where then in the second division.

And that Widnes team were no slouches either. 

2 hours ago, tandle said:

Yes. It was another awesome performance at the home of Widnes, the World Champions.

And, it was arguably, even better than our result against Wigan.

I know.  I was there on both occasions.

Sadly, the question is "Will we ever play against either of them, again ?" 

If only we could turn back time.😭 😭

20 hours ago, tub said:

Best ever !  the quality, the atmosphere, the drama ........it had it all !!  ..... am waiting for the film of it to come out on Disney+ 

Wigan side that night was :

Hampson, Russell, Stephenson, Lydon, Gill; Edwards, Gregory, Case, Kiss, Wane, Goodway, Potter, Hanley (capt). Subs: Byrne, West, Gildart, Lucas. 

Later in 1987 they went on to win the inaugural World Club Championship against Manly.

Dean Bell was one of the centres because he scored, think Lydon was outside Stephenson.  😉

On 04/02/2022 at 08:00, thecrab said:

4th February 1987

Oldham 10 Wigan 8

Tries: Kirwan

Goals: Burke,3.

Venue: Watersheddings

Attendance10050

Team

1. Mick Burke, 2. Hussein M'Barki, 3. Des Foy, 4. Gary Bridge, 5. Mike Taylor, 6. David Topliss, 7. Paddy Kirwan, 8. Bruce Clark, 9. Ian Sanderson, 10. Hugh Waddell, 11. Mick Worrall, 12. David Hobbs, 13. Terry Flanagan, 14. Gary Warnecke, 15. Stuart Raper

Enjoy!! 🔴⚪🔴⚪🔴⚪

I was there that day eight months pregnant with my first child! Nearly gave birth in the stands😂 what happy memories and a fantastic game that was thanks for the memory 

13 hours ago, ArthurO said:

Yes. It was another awesome performance at the home of Widnes, the World Champions.

And, it was arguably, even better than our result against Wigan.

I know.  I was there on both occasions.

Sadly, the question is "Will we ever play against either of them, again ?" 

If only we could turn back time.😭 😭

Sorry mate, I know how you feel. We probably won't reach those heady heights for the foreseeable future. 

17 hours ago, tandle said:

There's one thing I remember fro that game, fordy did the cross field kick to lordy, although he didn't score the ref allowed it. Unlike the next game against Warrington.

8 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Unlike the next game against Warrington.

It WAS a try.

I know.  I was there. I stood on the terrace about 10 yards away from where Lordy started to run. He was on side.

And I still hate Holdsworth. 

I have watched the Burnden Park game v Wigan a few times. Yes it was a loss. Sort of class it as a good memory though. I was surrounded by our fans. Probably the most support I have been alongside. This match is always mentioned by one of my family members quite early on in discussions about our club. Mainly where are our fans ?. For me, if you are my age, 40s. Was at the game. Then you should still be going to the games. Ground is no excuse.

will explain here my username was picked on years we rose again. Not my age !.

59 minutes ago, ArthurO said:

It WAS a try.

I know.  I was there. I stood on the terrace about 10 yards away from where Lordy started to run. He was on side.

And I still hate Holdsworth. 

When I win the euromillions I'm going to build a stadium and the toilets will be known as the Holdsworth suite. With pictures of said person strategically placed.

11 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

When I win the euromillions I'm going to build a stadium and the toilets will be known as the Holdsworth suite. With pictures of said person strategically placed.

I'd call the toilets "The Hornet's" with a picture of each current player on toilet lid.👍

Watersheddings was a very tired ground when the curtain came down. They had knocked one of the stands down and the committee did nothing. Most of the main stand was condemned and the committee did nothing.

Quin did a deal which died when the club went bust.

The final nail was the quin's "deal" but years of mismanagement  made the decision easier. When we had a decent supporters base improvements should have been done. The club got funds selling the training ground and greyhound stadium. That money should have been reinvested in the ground.

If it had maybe just maybe sheddings would be alive not just in memories 

1 hour ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

It was heavily dilapidated in the early 1970s when I started to attend.

The thing is, back in the day, it was state of the art. Covered on 4 sides. Funded by donation, hence the Hutchins stand, and crowd funding. Now I know we have a way of funding signings, but what about a 'ground funding scheme'?  A bit like a church steeple fund? Whereby funds can be collected and used only for 1) land purchase and/ or 2) ground or stand improvement? I have suggested this in the past, but was poo pooed. 

Archived