University Rugby League

I know a few years ago Leeds Met were the team to beat at University Rugby League, is that no longer the case? I was surprised to see they didn’t have a single player make the England North side. It’s great see so many Universities across the country represented in the 2 squads.

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/36558/preview-university-rugby-league-origin-game 

• Like 2

Dave Woods was singing Northumbria's praises on the cup coverage at the weekend. Saying what a great team they were and great set up.! I can see they have a few players in there. I'm sure that St Mary's used to team to beat in the south, but they seem to have disappeared somewhat.

I find it quite difficult to follow the University results these days. The RL site doesn't seem to get updated at all. It's a shame when you see how slick the BUCS RU exposure is. It would be great to see this north v south game on youtube or Ourleague

I'm proud, and also slightly embarrassed, to say I played BUCS level League a long time ago. The Uni was a very well established redbrick, but like many at the time had effectively banned League up until just before I arrived, so the League team was very new, not very good, and that's how I managed to blag a game or two. I wouldn't have got a look in 2 or 3 years later!

• Like 5

Alex Boag that is in the south squad is a good player. I have seen him playing for Exeter Uni a few times. I am surprised not more Exe players have been picked really.

And so we shall again…

4 hours ago, thebrewxi said:

Dave Woods was singing Northumbria's praises on the cup coverage at the weekend. Saying what a great team they were and great set up.! I can see they have a few players in there. I'm sure that St Mary's used to team to beat in the south, but they seem to have disappeared somewhat.

I find it quite difficult to follow the University results these days. The RL site doesn't seem to get updated at all. It's a shame when you see how slick the BUCS RU exposure is. It would be great to see this north v south game on youtube or Ourleague

I'm proud, and also slightly embarrassed, to say I played BUCS level League a long time ago. The Uni was a very well established redbrick, but like many at the time had effectively banned League up until just before I arrived, so the League team was very new, not very good, and that's how I managed to blag a game or two. I wouldn't have got a look in 2 or 3 years later!

Northumbria have been ‘the team’ for a number of years now. Really good & i think Midlands Hurricanes have signed a couple from there.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thebrewxi said:

Where were you and when?

I was at Birmingham from 97-00 and similar there in that my first year was the first year it restarted there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dead man inc said:

Northumbria have been ‘the team’ for a number of years now. Really good & i think Midlands Hurricanes have signed a couple from there.

Chris Gale in the South squad played every game for London Skolars last season. Think he started there as a junior, progressed through the Broncos Academy & Reserve system until pandemic curtailed their season. Strange that Broncos didn’t sign him for this season. Almost certainly a better future prospect than others they took. Big ultra fit forward capable of playing full 80 & a tackling machine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RP London said:

Where were you and when?

I was at Birmingham from 97-00 and similar there in that my first year was the first year it restarted there. 

The exact same! Brum 97-00. We might have been on the same team 25 years ago! Wow, small world. I think I played two games, well one and a third. I was swiftly dropped when someone with vaguely any ability and athleticism showed up. 

Edited by thebrewxi
  • Like 1

Midlands Hurricanes have signed 4 players from Northumbria University. One of them (Nathan Newbound) score the Hurricanes first competitive try at the weekend. They all look like fantastic players. 

These might not be Midlanders but this is a great example of great young players being given an opportunity to develop and play at a higher level. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Played at Coventry University until '98. May have even played against you! 

I think, and this was 25 years ago so struggling here, but I think we played you in our first game? I have a memory in the second half of lining up a centre running at me and thinking "right, I'll have him!", dropping my shoulder and getting completely done over by a massive side step. I sat there on my a%^e while I watched him go under the posts. Please tell me that was you 🙂

Edited by thebrewxi
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, thebrewxi said:

I think, and this was 25 years ago so struggling here, but I think we played you in our first game? I have a memory in the second half of lining up a centre running at me and thinking "right, I'll have him!", dropping my shoulder and getting completely done over by a massive side step. I sat there on my a%^e while I watched him go under the posts. Please tell me that was you 🙂

I can't remember anything from back then 😂 we did play Birmingham and I vaguely remember winning. I was usually wing or FB so probably one of my team mates that did that 😂

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

I can't remember anything from back then 😂 we did play Birmingham and I vaguely remember winning. I was usually wing or FB so probably one of my team mates that did that 😂

It was the 90s, mate. If you remember it you werent there, etc. There's a credible theory (the Phantom time hypothesis) that the 90s didn't actually happen!

But yes you did win. 

I'd love to see a strong university competition with most unis across the country involved at some level and lots of competition for places within the university squads.

I'd also like to see the same at college level, schools, armed forces etc

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Northumbria are the best, followed by Leeds Beckett (formerly Leeds Met). Leeds Uni have improved under the coaching of Brett Delaney and are probably third best, they beat Beckett once this year. Newcastle typically 4th, normally comparable with the best Premier South teams (typically St. Mary's and Loughborough though this league is usually very competitive). Below them you've got Nottingham, Nottingham Trent, Liverpool, Exeter, Gloucester, Hull and Liverpool John Moore who are all pretty comparable.

In terms of the origin teams, they're selected from the regional squads. The six regions played in Birmingham in December so unless you did that, you wouldn't feature in this (unless injured or had a good excuse). This requires you to actually sign up and commit to it, which not everyone wants 

Would've loved to have watched any of this. I had no idea there were games going on in Birmingham. I used to stroll down and watch the odd game 10, 15 years ago. 

Would've loved to see some of the Leeds and northumbria games online. Like I said, the BUCS Super Rugby is very easy to access and it's a shame the League BUCS isn't AFAIK. Particularly when it seems there are so many great players involved. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Newcastle Thunder also have quite a few, think there's also a couple at York and Workington too.

My nephew played at Newcastle University until quite recently and said there were quite strong links between Northumbria Uni and Newcastle Thunder. I always thought that this could be a good source of players for expansion area clubs, to team up with College/University teams.

• Like 1

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

47 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

I always thought that this could be a good source of players for expansion area clubs, to team up with College/University teams.

I believe Jimmy Keinhorst is the only player to be scouted from University Rugby League to go on to play in Super League (without playing for a pro clubs academy). There must be countless more with the potential out there, even more so to play at Championship and League One. I think if all clubs ran a reserve side they’d take a chance on more prospects from Universities and Colleges.

• Like 2

Ex-Newcastle Uni player (along with Craig Hamilton who occasionally posts on here). We beat the then Leeds Met in the BUSA Cup, played in the Challenge Cup (two years on the trot) plus produced a couple of professional players (Andy Raleigh and Rob Line). Oh, Rob Powell was our coach. Great experience.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

There's probably quite a few more that having been on an academy, developed massively at uni and kicked on as a result. Jacob Woodburn-Hall and Sam Luckley as two obvious examples. 

Andy Raleigh probably the most successful one I can think of… awesome in the Championship (Sheffield and Hull KR) before a successful SL career at Huddersfield and Wakefield.

Big shout out to Rob Powell (Broncos) who cut his coaching teeth with us in Newcastle… 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

There is the Origin game this Sunday in Birmingham though! 

Going back to the original post and link, think this game is in Loughborough, not Birmingham. I was excited for a minute and thought I might drive down if in Birmingham. Loughborough a bit too far.

I've loved reading this thread. Well done for starting it Sir Kevin. And if anyone has as link to watch the match tomorrow please post. So much I didn't know about the uni game. I might have to get into following it again. I might get myself down to a Brum game if I know when they are. I'd love the uni game to be a bit more acknowledged  and followed, but appreciate the challenges as Saint 1 pointed out. Also amazing to find out I've likley been on the same pitch as two other long time posters on here 🙂 great stuff! 

Edited by thebrewxi
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I believe Jimmy Keinhorst is the only player to be scouted from University Rugby League to go on to play in Super League (without playing for a pro clubs academy). There must be countless more with the potential out there, even more so to play at Championship and League One. I think if all clubs ran a reserve side they’d take a chance on more prospects from Universities and Colleges.

I know he played for Dewsbury Celtic, but wasn't Alex Walmsley also playing for a University team when he was recruited by Batley?

• Like 1

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

8 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

Yeah Alex Walmsley played for Leeds Met too. There's loads of them in the Championship, I could name 5-10 off the top of my head, just very few who made that additional step up to Super League. 

Oh yes, you're right about the game tomorrow, sorry! Not sure if you use Instagram but looks like Brum are pretty active on there (https://www.instagram.com/uobrugbyleague/) , the home games in the fixture list they posted a few weeks ago are:

Home vs Northampton in National Trophy - Wednesday 9th Feb 1:30pm kickoff

Home vs Nottingham Uni 2s - Wednesday 2nd March 2pm kickoff

I'll post the link to the game tomorrow if it is streamed (or afterwards if not), I'll be watching it as I coach a few of the lads involved - would be attending if it didn't clash with other coaching! 

Top man, Saint! Insta I don't use, but this might make me sign up. 

Some of my best days playing Rugby were at University level. We had a cracking team and won both the national league and BUSA Cup in my final year. Cardiff were excellent at that time too and firmly instilled my belief when it comes to the potential of the game in Wales ever since. St Marys and John Moores had fair old teams too.

I remember beating Clayton one year in the Challenge Cup then losing very narrowly the round after against Thornhill, who at that time were riding high in the NCL Premier. Another year we lost in a close game to Rochdale Mayfield, again who were in the NCL Premier, and weren't too far off then either. I have no doubt we'd have both those games but playing on a Saturday was always a huge disadvantage as several of our team were always missing due to playing semi-professional RU at the weekends.

I think people sometimes underestimate how good the better student sides were/are and the backgrounds of some players. We had several who had been on the books of SL clubs. Some went on the play semi professional RL after but far more went on to play semi-professional RU as it paid more for far less effort and was usually the only gig in town were they were from.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 4

Brian Carney is one of the most famous examples of someone being plucked from the student game. I remember at the time being told by people involved with Ireland students saying you should see this guy Carney he's amazing. Sure enough he signed for Gateshead shortly after. Bearing in mind he had played Gaelic and RU mostly before it was a meteoric rise. 

Give talent a pathway and plenty of gems will be unearthed. 

• Like 5