Castleford Redevelopment Plans

Damien

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Number 16 said:

I don't really disagree with this... but we are already RL fans. 

But how does it look to potential new supporters, sponsors and investors. 

I can't think of any other major sport in the UK played in such out of date grounds.

It looks just fine.

This desperation to create a false impression when the real impression isn't an issue is just another example of Rugby League's cultural cringe. People really need to get over it and focus on the real issues.

6 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

It was a cheaper option to have the pillars.....its a very good ground though overall.... and they have the cameras pointing at the always full shed 

I get it was cheaper, but it’s a false economy - and they still managed to spent over £6m on it 

I used to stand in The Shed, it’s the closest you’ll get to a rugby league experience at a dark side match 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

1 hour ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

I get it was cheaper, but it’s a false economy - and they still managed to spent over £6m on it 

I used to stand in The Shed, it’s the closest you’ll get to a rugby league experience at a dark side match 

Yeah I've been a few times - the ee-orr donkey chant always makes me chuckle

On 07/02/2022 at 16:53, Fevrover said:

Have you been to Xscape or Junction 32 at the weekend? Traffic is manic and car parks are rammed ,can you imagine a match on top of that ? Best do Wheldon Road up that's where their history is and it will be better for them imo.

for any lads attending an away match at cas and want a night out after the match - just down the road at fryston the statistics  are 5 women for each man in the area - only problem is - its the same 5 women 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

21 hours ago, M j M said:

It looks just fine.

This desperation to create a false impression when the real impression isn't an issue is just another example of Rugby League's cultural cringe. People really need to get over it and focus on the real issues.

Playing in a stadium that isn't fit for purpose in 2022 is a real issue.

1 hour ago, Gav Wilson said:

Playing in a stadium that isn't fit for purpose in 2022 is a real issue.

That's not the point that's being made. The stadium needs rebuilding for the benefit of the club, the players and the fans.

What it isn't doing is causing people watching on tv to run away from the sport of Rugby League. It just looks like a busy, small, obviously old fashioned ground but with a great atmosphere and with clearly passionate fans. 

15 hours ago, M j M said:

That's not the point that's being made. The stadium needs rebuilding for the benefit of the club, the players and the fans.

What it isn't doing is causing people watching on tv to run away from the sport of Rugby League. It just looks like a busy, small, obviously old fashioned ground but with a great atmosphere and with clearly passionate fans. 

I generally agree, though there is an element of straw-manning there.

The truth is everything that is stereotyped, particularly with negative connotations, has to try extra hard to counter/break through those points. RL and the North of England more broadly is no exception to that. 

Smartened up versions of Wheldon Road and Belle Vue would be major assets to Super League (far more than identikit soulless bowls), but it does all feel a bit increasingly non-league football and counter to the image Super League wants to portray. I suspect that the sudden impetus from Wakefield MDC for all 3 of its clubs is perhaps linked to a growing sense of now or never with the stadiums.

Your description of Wheldon Road is increasingly relying on a sympathetic viewing. When RL, Yorkshire and the North has to deal with significant misrepresentation and stereotyping anyway, it is becoming harder for that sympathy to be elicited.

Archived