Widnes vikings

The forgotten team

But in very cold and windy conditions we put 70 points past a young and enthusiastic workington team, who incidently brought some great support. 

Adam Lawton was too big and strong for workington with his edge running and Eribe Doro is a very solid prop on loan from warrington 

Widnes are almost the forgotten team but with 3600 in attendance we still have tremendous support. 

The weather yesterday would have reduced the attendance figures right across the championship.

Eribe Doro looked a bit lost at times last year, possibly difficult to fit in when you're on loan. Lovely offload out of the tackle from him for tries in both of the games so far, but as Spidey says, concedes too many penalties. Tyler Dupree has been excellent in both games. Turns out that playing the game with some prop forwards on the pitch is a good idea, who knew?

Lawton is always going to struggle with avoiding penalties for high tackles.

Matty Smith has been our best player in both games so far. London came back into the game only after he went off last week.

Still think we'll be mid-table, not convinced we'll compete so well with the five drives down the middle and a good kick approach of eg Dewsbury.

Happy with the start and we've flown under the radar so far.

We look fitter and better organised than last season and have been playing off the front foot which in recent seasons has not happened.

It will, no doubt get tougher so lets see how we go against one of the fancied teams on Sunday.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

The two you quoted gave away cheap penalties.... I was much more impressed with Olly Davies & Tyler Dupree

Yes

Thats a fair comment, so good all round 

Dupree is one very decent signing. 

Lawton is not everybodys cup of tea as sometimes he can vanish 

Fozzard and smith were superb. 

I have to say this is absolutely typical RL

Widnes have spent the past few years being bagged on here as a basket case club (I should be pleased because it took the heat off the Bulls for once)

Now, because they've won two games, suddenly it is "Let's get Widnes in SL"

Don't get me wrong, I like Widnes. I hope they can build from here. But, let's be honest, they are building from quite a low base after their various travails.

Let them grow slowly and steadily. And if they fly under the radar, then that's a good thing in my eyes.

The LAST thing Widnes need is to be promoted too soon.

15 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Widnes have spent the past few years being bagged on here as a basket case club (I should be pleased because it took the heat off the Bulls for once)

Don't get me wrong, I like Widnes. I hope they can build from here. But, let's be honest, they are building from quite a low base after their various travails.

Let them grow slowly and steadily. And if they fly under the radar, then that's a good thing in my eyes.

Agree

I should have kept my trap shut 

No great expectations

Just nice to see some  decent rugby league

1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

Widnes definitely a bit of time to rebuild as much as the fans as anything. Yesterday was my first game in 2 years, and I've barely followed it since we were relegated.

I'll be honest, I'd pretty much given up on us as a SL club, and felt we were resigned to being a team like Fax who do OK but whose SL days seem gone.

I went yesterday thinking over 3000 would be good even with the offer on, and was pleasantly surprised. It did make me wonder, but the town needs time to forget the last SL experience and build up that interest again. 

Maybe a few years of 3rd-5th before an eventual challenge might just work in bringing back the disillusioned.

I think every year a different club in the Championship has a "Basket case year".  It must be nice for Widnes, Bradford, Sheffield that for once they can focus on the rugby this year, and not all the off-field issues. I really hope both Widnes and Bradford make the playoffs, but Fev and Leigh will be too strong this year for both of them

1 hour ago, crashmon said:

I think every year a different club in the Championship has a "Basket case year".  It must be nice for Widnes, Bradford, Sheffield that for once they can focus on the rugby this year, and not all the off-field issues. I really hope both Widnes and Bradford make the playoffs, but Fev and Leigh will be too strong this year for both of them

I’m sure Fev & Leigh will top the table easily enough. Playoffs being one off games may produce a shock though

I am wearing my tin hat, 

Yes Lets expand our sport every year it's Leigh, Featherstone and now Widnes again. The only heartland club who would bring something to the table are Bradford if they ever get their act together. 

I will now disappear for a while 😁

35 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

I am wearing my tin hat, 

Yes Lets expand our sport every year it's Leigh, Featherstone and now Widnes again. The only heartland club who would bring something to the table are Bradford if they ever get their act together. 

I will now disappear for a while 😁

Widnes are former world champions and brought some of the greatest names to the sport. 

1 minute ago, Jughead said:

Hunslet won everything there was to win once upon a time. 

I know, and I wouldn’t say they wouldn’t bring anything to the table either. To say Bradford are the only heartland club who’d bring anything to the SL table is absurd in the extreme. 

18 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Widnes are former world champions and brought some of the greatest names to the sport. 

Eddie I was there watching Widnes with a crowd  of Warrington and Widnes fans all supporting them. Tongue in cheek. How many more fish will I catch. 

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

And the ici shirt they wore in them glory days. Even I want one and I would wear it.

26 minutes ago, The storm said:

Like what lol. 

Challenge Cup
RFL First Division
County league
Yorkshire Cup 

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

Archived