Batley v York - up the Doggies

Batley Bob

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The dogs are a pleasure to watch at the moment,games are entertaining regardless of the result which wasn't the case prior to Linners coming in.  I'm sure it will be a close one on Sunday but so long as the effort matches the last 2 games we should be ok. 

1 hour ago, Dog forever said:

Playing some entertaining rugby at the moment. I still think we could improve on our kicking game. It would be nice to see us go for a few 40 20s this season,  and alternate our kick offs.... but not complaining.  Happy days.

We should keep doing what we are while we are winning. We have scored a try in each game through our kicking game so happy with that. Let's hope we can keep it up at the weekend.

Whilst I'm delighted to be sponsor of our MAIN kicker I do think that it is often predictable and isn't varied enough. Opponents know who, when, where and how 99% of our kicks will be made, we have Luke and Ben who can also kick a ball and maybe variation may bring even more results. Oulton-style snow collectors; 40-20, shirt chip overs etc might all catch opponents off-guard whilst they expect what they're told to by their coach to expect. However, that said, it's only part of our game, the rest is doing more than fine! We'll beat York by 10.

I don't get this kicking thing. Against Halifax we had three kickers on the field, Meadows, Gilmore and White. 

We have scored from a short kick through (Hooley against Halifax from Gilmore) and an high kick (Hooley at Newcastle from White). We have displayed a range of kicking on both sides of the field and in each half. For me, against Halifax, we kicked too often on their line rather than going for it.

Our kicking game is fine. The only thing which would add to it would be more 40/20's at home!

It's our kick off's that predictable, as shown by Newcastle a shortish kick off resulted in the regaining possession, we are fine otherwise, I'm not being critical just observational.

5 hours ago, phildog said:

Whilst I'm delighted to be sponsor of our MAIN kicker I do think that it is often predictable and isn't varied enough. Opponents know who, when, where and how 99% of our kicks will be made, we have Luke and Ben who can also kick a ball and maybe variation may bring even more results. Oulton-style snow collectors; 40-20, shirt chip overs etc might all catch opponents off-guard whilst they expect what they're told to by their coach to expect. However, that said, it's only part of our game, the rest is doing more than fine! We'll beat York by 10.

Totally agree with you Phildog. Let's mix it up a little. 

1 hour ago, Dog forever said:

Totally agree with you Phildog. Let's mix it up a little. 

i think the team is mixing it up, weve played 2 games scored trys from kicks in both games and won both games im not sure what more the team can do, now theyve done it a couple of times they might kick more often as theyve seen the rewards from kicking but it still very early days and dont want to be predictable. 

1 hour ago, ginaldo said:

i think the team is mixing it up, weve played 2 games scored trys from kicks in both games and won both games im not sure what more the team can do, now theyve done it a couple of times they might kick more often as theyve seen the rewards from kicking but it still very early days and dont want to be predictable. 

I know we have scored trys from kicks.  If you read my original post I was saying to kick for 40  20s a tad more , and from kick offs especially try an alternative kick rather than kicking to the same lad all the time.  I may be wrong , and missing things others don't. Like I said in an earlier post it's only an observation.  

Just to say the support at Newcastle was absolutely brilliant. 
Thankfully you were all rewarded with a great win. We have undoubtedly an absolutely great set of players and I personally feel so proud of this.

Hopefully we get a good crowd this week to keep us on an even keel. These are potentially very special days so please spread the word, lets get a good crowd and all enjoy a special moment. It will undoubtedly be a great game to watch.

See you there !!

Bring a mate and help do your bit!!

Another tough game, but a game we can win I reckon, especially with the the head knocks coming back in. 

Dogs 16 Yorkies 6

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Archived