Johnny Raper R.I.P.

GettyImages-153110086.jpg

St George Dragons Immortal Johnny Raper has passed away, aged 82.

Raper has been battling dimentia for some years.

Raper was part of the Dragons' golden generation, playing in eight of the eleven straight premierships the club won during the 1950s and 60s.

Read the full article - Click here

14 hours ago, Graham said:

GettyImages-153110086.jpg

St George Dragons Immortal Johnny Raper has passed away, aged 82.

Raper has been battling dimentia for some years.

Raper was part of the Dragons' golden generation, playing in eight of the eleven straight premierships the club won during the 1950s and 60s.

Read the full article - Click here

I have a few memories of Johnny Raper. First saw him play in the first Ashes test played at Wembley in 1960 in a mid-week game under lights where the Aussies hammered us, with his St George team mates Gasnier and Langlands prominent alongside of him.

Watched him play during his last season for St George in 1969 after I arrived in Aus. the previous year and then met up with him personally when he coached Cronulla for a couple of seasons in the mid 70's.

Raper was the best cover tackling lock forward I have ever seen in over 75 years of watching the game.

RIP Johnny.

12 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

The game you mention was 1963. There wasn’t  a tour in 1960.

Thanks for the correction. I was in London in 1960 as a student and left there for my first job in Lancaster until I returned to London in 1963 to work there until I left the UK in 1966.

Memory let me down I am afraid- should have checked!

Archived