Sat 12th Feb: SL: Toulouse Olympique v Huddersfield Giants KO 20:00 (SKY)

Who will win?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Toulouse Olympique
    • Huddersfield Giants

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/02/22 at 20:30

9 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Wakefield and Salford will be chuffed they both get Toulouse at home in the first 5 weeks.

How many games did it take London to get their first win? Just checked they got a couple of wins in the first 6 games including round 1 against Wakefield

Yep, London were very competitive in 2019. 

Toulouse have an inadequate squad with, we hear, no scope for reinforcements. Hence Toronto vibes.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Man of Kent said:

Yep, London were very competitive in 2019. 

Toulouse have an inadequate squad with, we hear, no scope for reinforcements. Hence Toronto vibes.

There will be a lot of players come available throughout the season - particularly when the NRL kicks in and some players are in NSW and QCup. Toulouse need at least 4-5 players including another prop, half back, centre and full back. 

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

There will be a lot of players come available throughout the season - particularly when the NRL kicks in and some players are in NSW and QCup. Toulouse need at least 4-5 players including another prop, half back, centre and full back. 

With the 2 vaccine dodgers gone,Casty retired & Hansen,Garbutt not available,that’s a big hole in quality/experience for a squad coming into the comp.

6 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Toulouse arguably weaker than they were last year which isnt great . Lets see what happens when restrictions go away.

My fear is that by time players can come in they are already 4 wins behind with maybe only 20 games left. At that stage,  they are better off banking the money to come back up in 2024.

We should all remember that Catalan had a year to adjust, no such luck for Toulouse. 

With the RL/SL reconciliation in the pipeline and a major readjustment of Leagues due next season, perhaps TO have already been assured of a position in the new order so they don't see the need to spend everything they have as their future has already been guaranteed?

3 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Not sure I remember cas went down one year when Dracs came bottom.

I think that was Catalans first season when they came bottom and were saved by their exemption. They were exempt for another year or two after that too but were well clear of relegation anyway. In fact weren't they 3rd or 4th in one of those seasons?

7 minutes ago, binosh said:

No team can compete in the current P&R format, things have moved on since Hull KR came up, all teams are much stronger.

I think the biggest problem for any newly promoted team is that most good players have already had their futures tied down well before any promotion is confirmed, and it's very hard to recruit a competitive squad. You are really feeding on scraps, signings guys who have just been relegated, or who have been deemed surplus to requirements by the club's who you are going to be competing against. You might pick up the occasional gem, but you have one hand tied behind your back from day one.

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Either way , they know what they're up against now 

Absolutely, they decided to stay with a settled squad - which worked for London tbf. Who would have thought vaccination issues would have decimated it? However, it has and you either adapt or struggle.

Deja by all of this. 

just waiting for my mate Sir Bell to admit Toulouse are just like watching Little pit Village Leigh. Average, very Average. 

4/4. Huddersfield only giving 8. An absolute steal. Men against Boys. Some cricket scores coming up I feel. 

To be fair, they are up against it and are not good enough without their main cogs in place. 

4 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

Deja by all of this. 

just waiting for my mate Sir Bell to admit Toulouse are just like watching Little pit Village Leigh. Average, very Average. 

4/4. Huddersfield only giving 8. An absolute steal. Men against Boys. Some cricket scores coming up I feel. 

To be fair, they are up against it and are not good enough without their main cogs in place. 

Agree with this. It wasn't a bad call keeping a winning squad together - it is rewarding success. However, when all the #### started to fall apart with vaccination stuff and key squad members, they needed to act really quickly and bring in some quality recruits. Doing that 8-10 games in maybe simply too late.

26 minutes ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

With the RL/SL reconciliation in the pipeline and a major readjustment of Leagues due next season, perhaps TO have already been assured of a position in the new order so they don't see the need to spend everything they have as their future has already been guaranteed?

There are definitely things going on behind the scenes but don't think it as clear cut as to tip clubs off yet. It that's the case why kneecap them with subbing full time SL club's travel expenses?

1 minute ago, theswanmcr said:

It didn’t work for London - they won plenty of games and were unlucky to go back down in the end but ultimately they were relegated.

There were other things at play with London , the unconventional venue being one , and Saints 

1 minute ago, theswanmcr said:

It didn’t work for London - they won plenty of games and were unlucky to go back down in the end but ultimately they were relegated.

Fair point. I don't think London had a choice in 2019 tbh. Don't think they'd even budgeted for promotion. But they got 10 wins and that will probably be enough to stay up in 2022 and most seasons.

Archived