Sat 12th Feb: SL: Toulouse Olympique v Huddersfield Giants KO 20:00 (SKY)

Who will win?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Toulouse Olympique
    • Huddersfield Giants

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/02/22 at 20:30

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Fair point. I don't think London had a choice in 2019 tbh. Don't think they'd even budgeted for promotion. But they got 10 wins and that will probably be enough to stay up in 2022 and most seasons.

Yes it was a strange season , Leigh won 7 in 2017 and didn't finish bottom of a shorter season 

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Everyone,

Just back from the match (Match aside) I feel really sorry for Toulouse as the covid rules put the dampers on what should have been a great opening night.

No pre or aftermath reception and no food or drink in the stadium awful killed the entire event stone dead IMHO lucky if it was 3500 there (Don't know what was announced) the whole evening was flat as a pancake after 10 mins of the second half cold tired and starving we left and drove back to Spain.

Lucky for the Dragons that the restrictions are being lifted next Wednesday so looking forward to the match on Saturday.

Goodnight 

Paul

Shame there was a capitulation after the good start, unfortunately there were too many in that 17 just making up the numbers today.

Bretherton, Cunningham, Dixon and Paulo really weren't up to standard in the pack. Peyroux, Navarette, White and Pelissier all held their own, the latter should probably have come on earlier with White moving to 13 to spell Cunningham. Garbutt, Hansen and Springer would help the middle rotation but they're still going to be short a quality edge while Dixon is starting there.

Armitage had some strong efforts in attack but was mostly at sea in defence, appeared to be a similar story in the Catalans trial based on the highlights of that game. Shame Jussaume is out for an extended period as it will be interesting to see how he copes at this level. Schaumkel replacing Bergal once fit will help their yardage sets as well.

Hankinson actually looks decent enough in the halves, Albert and Gigot both had their flashes of class but brought equal amounts of pain at times with dumb play. If they can eventually gel together the spine will be able to create enough points to win games throughout the season.

12 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Hello Everyone,

Just back from the match (Match aside) I feel really sorry for Toulouse as the covid rules put the dampers on what should have been a great opening night.

No pre or aftermath reception and no food or drink in the stadium awful killed the entire event stone dead IMHO lucky if it was 3500 there (Don't know what was announced) the whole evening was flat as a pancake after 10 mins of the second half cold tired and starving we left and drove back to Spain.

Lucky for the Dragons that the restrictions are being lifted next Wednesday so looking forward to the match on Saturday.

Goodnight 

Paul

Thanks for the update , it did seem very low key at the start , shame , Covid strikes again 

Hopefully a good performance at Salford next week ( even if a loss ) and then they get the chance to have the big push 

It's impossible to judge on game one, really. I'm not sure any team looked too convincing this week on TV - including Saints 

Toulouse, jeez for the love of God scrap automatic relegation please. Such a big deal to have them in SL and any proted team is so behind the pump from the start it's a genuine farce, all that happens in 2 or 3 teams in the bottom half of the league know they'll be okay no matter what.

But I think Tolouse will win some games, they just need more bodies. 

As for the Giants, very lazy first half, put it down to week 1 rustiness though, as they got better and more efficient through the game, and really the score and outcome was the only thing that would have been a good outcome for the Giants.

First time we've won week 1 in a few years I think 🤔 

4 hours ago, binosh said:

Toulouse don’t get 10000 attendance and aren’t competitive in Super League shocker.

Still errrr cosmopolitan and a errrr beautiful city.

Toulouse have just played a game of rugby league in super league, really disappointed in this remark gubrats.

I quite like some of your posts, this one? a bit sh!tty for me.

6 hours ago, Ullman said:

More like his inner Norman Collier now.

First met Norman Collier when he was on the Hull Club scene in the 50's/60's. My dad was too and occasionally was on the same show. A really funny guy and lovely to know!

As for the match, my earlier comment was that they would be too loose up the middle and Levi really exploited their weakness there.

44 minutes ago, Hello said:

Must be nice living in your little isolated world. Enjoy.

I think he was just making a light hearted comment. Some expectations were rather unrealistic, and I hope those who followed them whilst they were going unbeaten last year persist with their support. 

I actually wanted Huddersfield to win also but that was because I like Theo Farges, who I thought had a very good game. 

3 hours ago, Niels said:

I think he was just making a light hearted comment. Some expectations were rather unrealistic, and I hope those who followed them whilst they were going unbeaten last year persist with their support. 

I actually wanted Huddersfield to win also but that was because I like Theo Farges, who I thought had a very good game. 

Nah,he’s just a troll.

Not seen the game, but that Giants team is full of quality. Great pack with some exciting players in the backs. Tough tough game for TO first up. Let’s hope they can regroup. Tough old season ahead but I don’t think anyone was in any doubt it was going to be. As for the Giants, I’ve got them down for a top four finish this season…

10 hours ago, Scubby said:

There will be a lot of players come available throughout the season - particularly when the NRL kicks in and some players are in NSW and QCup. Toulouse need at least 4-5 players including another prop, half back, centre and full back. 

So does my club Leigh, it may depend on who can offer the most money or even a better contract, and if as speculation on these pages says that player's will choose SL other than a Championship club, it may just be that they could be looking longer term than this season, there is no saying Leigh will get the SL spot next term, but they have as much chance of being in there than TO staying in there.

10 hours ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

With the RL/SL reconciliation in the pipeline and a major readjustment of Leagues due next season, perhaps TO have already been assured of a position in the new order so they don't see the need to spend everything they have as their future has already been guaranteed?

Pure hopefulness on your part PL, apparently the hierarchy at Leigh thought the same thing last season but it didn't happen, just saying.

Disappointed in the result,  but not unexpected. Its not just a matter, in my view, of TO player signings.  Toulouse will have to get used to the pace, the strength, the skills, the stamina, the motivation and the drive of the established  SL teams. This was, after all, their first competitive game in SL.

9 hours ago, theswanmcr said:

It didn’t work for London - they won plenty of games and were unlucky to go back down in the end but ultimately they were relegated.

Could I just throw in the two games against a very weakened Saints team, London could only play what was in front on them, but had Saints not had been so benevolent in those games then London would not have made the end of season 4 club dogfight, I think we would have heard a lot more about it if one of the other 3 club's had suffered relegation, as it happened nothing needed to said.

6 hours ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

Toulouse have just played a game of rugby league in super league, really disappointed in this remark gubrats.

I quite like some of your posts, this one? a bit sh!tty for me.

That isn't me , this is me 

10 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Hello Everyone,

Goodnight 

Paul

Agree. It was flat. Didn't miss the euro fizz passing as beer but the food trucks that are normally there are excellent, we had to make do with a grissly mergeuz outside.

Crowd was smaller than they they thought but factor in the French Ireland match and half term it was probably as could be expected.

The match itself...well...I've not seen TO play that bad for years, when they played bad in the championship they got away with things. At this level they can't. Not finding touch with a penalty, knocking on in the 1st tackle, watching the ball in the in goal area, poor kicking from Gigot. The only plus was Guy, he didn't stop running. Missing the spine of the team, and a half that can control the match really showed last night. 

I though Fages was easily the best player on the pitch.

13 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Hudds will win this by 16 or so, and they'll get hammered next week by Salford. Mark my words.

I've watched too much Championship/low ability SL to know a Championship side when I see one. It's something about the size or build of the players as much as anything.

Apart from the fact we are playing Hull Kingston Rovers, you could be right 😄

41 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Could I just throw in the two games against a very weakened Saints team, London could only play what was in front on them, but had Saints not had been so benevolent in those games then London would not have made the end of season 4 club dogfight, I think we would have heard a lot more about it if one of the other 3 club's had suffered relegation, as it happened nothing needed to said.

Other clubs fielded weakened teams during the season 

Archived