Crusaders to Move back to Wrexham.. eventually?

4 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Is there any scope for another Northern Wales team at all? Where are the conference teams based primarily?

I doubt there would be sufficient depth of players for another semi-pro team in the area - most of our players are from the North West of England as thats where the experienced players are. Rugby League has had difficulties establishing itself as a community game in the area but progress is definitely being made.

Conwy Council and neighbouring Denbighshire Council have submitted a joint bid for £20m of levelling up funding to develop the stadium into a 10,000 seat facility for rugby, athletics and concerts. I'm told that our presence there is being used to help with the argument for funding.

Since we moved, we have also seen the Wales Women, Under 19s, under 17s & under 16s all playing at the stadium.

The council have been proactive with their support, for example suggesting home games be played on Saturdays to improve attendances. It is after all, in the council's best interest that the move is successful.

The establishment in Wrexham on the other hand, have shown absolutely no interest whatsoever, apart from the occasional mention in the local press. I don't think we should even consider moving back to the Racecourse unless the football club ask us to go back, which is highly unlikely.

Living in Wrexham, I would like to see Wales play at the Racecourse again one day, but if the development of Eirias Park goes ahead, I think it will be more attractive for Wales to play in Colwyn Bay, certainly much cheaper for the WRL to hire.

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

https://www.nwcrusaders.co.uk/

There is little value in the Crusaders going back to Wrexham full-time in the short-medium term and arguably, if the Stadium gets upgraded, in the long term either.

A 10K capacity covers them if they ever happen to find themselves back in Super League contention, whilst in the immediate term they are playing somewhere which is more supportive of the club and arguably has less competition than Wrexham.

I'm glad the club has left some roots in Wrexham, especially with the community club, and it would be great if the team could play the occasional game at the Racecourse (provided it made commercial sense), but otherwise their new home offers more. 

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

On 11/02/2022 at 16:23, gogledd said:

There are some grass routes clubs being established in North Wales including

Flintshire Falcons

Rhyl and Prestatyn Panthers

Conwy Celt

and Wrexham Crusaders

along with North Wales Origin who select from the community clubs as well as any other players who meet the Origin eligibility criteria - for example there are players in Chester Gladiators who are of Welsh heritage and qualify.

There is also North Wales Buccaneers Masters for over 35's and North Wales Crusaders Wheelchair who field teams in Wheelchair Super League and Championship. It is hope a Learnind Disabiliities RL team will be established in 2022.

Don’t forget the Anglesey team 

Is it possible some people think Wrexham is bigger than it is?

It's not some massive metropolis. There's no benefit to uprooting to play there when everything seems to be so much better for Crusaders where they are now.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Wrexham is the biggest population in Wales until you get down to, probably Newport, in the south. Biggest problem we had in wxm is that it's always been a beer'n'football town.

And, when the dodgy CEO came to light it cost us a good number of the core fans we did have....people up here don't like being taken for mugs and even though he's long since departed, they know how to bear a grudge 🙁

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

5 minutes ago, FearNothing said:

Wrexham is the biggest population in Wales until you get down to, probably Newport, in the south. Biggest problem we had in wxm is that it's always been a beer'n'football town.

It's got a population of 60,000. It's big for Wales but not big. Certainly not worth wrecking what seems to be going well in Colwyn Bay (population 35,000) for.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I'm not suggesting leaving colwyn bay for the forseeable - if you'd have been there the back half of last season and felt the crowd, it was more like the first few seasons again. Also the attendances were well up on the last few years at Queensway. Dare I say it may be feeling like home already?!?

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

Archived