The Nickname, The Moniker, The Mascot

What are the best and worst examples we have seen in RL?

Happy to hear some absolutely woeful versions from other sports for a laugh, especially RU.

What makes a good one and what makes a bad one?

Certainly I don’t think there ever should have been a team named Wolves and another named Wolfpack in the same elite competition.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Probably upset some woke individuals in Kansas

Yes. It upset whole tribes of native Americans who, repeatedly, over many years, very politely, asked that a team in Devon with no connection to them stop cosplaying a bunch of racial stereotypes every weekend.

PCGM

• Like 10

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 minutes ago, Bolton Leyther said:

Vodafone Warriors

Along with Warriors, there should be a moratorium on any more 'Lions' in sport. We have enough now.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I play Masters for a local community club and think we have a great name....Chester Gladiators.

North Wales Crusaders had a mascot - he was called Colyn the Crusader, and the person undertaking the role of mascot changed and when the mascot re-appeared she had become Collette the Crusader! Was this the first ever mascot to undergo gender reasignment?

Edited by gogledd
  • Haha 4

Clowne Angels were a community team from Clowne in Derbyshire.

Named after a pub, rather than the team's actual behaviour.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

5 hours ago, Cw25 said:

Don't know exactly what has gone on, But Exeter Chiefs have had to change their badge for a particular reason.

Apparently it's to do with offending native Americans. Don't really understand why, I mean it's not offensive like Redskins; which is why Washington had to change. 

• Like 2

And so we shall again…

4 minutes ago, devonhawk said:

Apparently it's to do with offending native Americans. Don't really understand why, I mean it's not offensive like Redskins; which is why Washington had to change. 

Well obviously it was offensive, hence native Americans complaining.

15 minutes ago, Damien said:

Well obviously it was offensive, hence native Americans complaining.

Why are Kansas City, still Chiefs, Cleveland still Indians and Atlanta still Braves? 

• Like 1

And so we shall again…

2 minutes ago, devonhawk said:

Why are Kansas City, still Chiefs, Cleveland still Indians and Atlanta still Braves? 

Im not sure why you are quoting me and asking me this. I'm not really interested in the ins and outs of other clubs and why they haven't changed.

It's irrelevant to the old Exeter Chiefs imagery being offensive to native Americans, hence them complaining. You don't think it was offensive, native Americans did. Exeter have now changed their imagery to not misappropriate native American culture so no more complaints.