Great Start...

11 minutes ago, Jughead said:

At anyone it’s bad enough, at a young lad it’s beyond comprehensible. 

Its a very rare thing for me to hear racist abuse from fans as many of our star players come from different backgrounds 

5 minutes ago, The storm said:

Its a very rare thing for me to hear racist abuse from fans as many of our star players come from different backgrounds 

Exactly. It’s beyond ridiculous in society as a whole and just as staggering, as you say, because Rugby League is a melting point of backgrounds. 

27 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Family Game and all that...

It's a grim story but I was very heartened by the response on social media. No downplaying from the club - who have gone out of their way to be supportive to the lad in question - and I haven't (yet) seen any numbskull fans saying it couldn't have happened.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Despicable but on brand.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

On top of everything else … what bravery it took to give a gob full to a 7 year old , what a tough guy 

Four blokes gave my wife a mouthful when I’d gone for a slash and she was waiting for me outside Upton Park holding my Norwich scarf once - brave lads. She’d never experienced anything like that before (understandably) and was a bit taken aback by it. Obviously as an adult it was soon forgotten and I hope this kid bounces back as quickly, and doesn’t get put off from going to RL matches. 

At last night's match, when Jordan Dezaria took up a run, heard a bloke a few rows behind me yell "bloody hell, it's Kurt Zouma, make sure there's not a cat around."

The only similarities between the two is that both are black.

Probably a comment to try and get a cheap laugh, but it was met with total silence. I imagine the man who yelled it would have felt a fool. Probably a good thing.

As for giving verbal abuse to fellow supporters, let alone children, it's reprehensible. The only pleasing thing is that Saints appear to be taking it seriously.

This stuff does happen unfortunately and is not a Saints problem in isolation. Often alcohol is involved and it is horrible to be on the end of something - especially a little kid.

St Helens have responded really quickly and looks like the community have acted quickly too. The RLWC has invited the lad to the England-France game.

Society is ugly at times sadly.

33 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

At last night's match, when Jordan Dezaria took up a run, heard a bloke a few rows behind me yell "bloody hell, it's Kurt Zouma, make sure there's not a cat around."

The only similarities between the two is that both are black.

So, there's 2 incidents that we know about already from this Catalans game alone. How many more that we are not yet aware of?

@The storm - Maybe it is not as rare as you think. 

Has what was allegedly said been reported?

If they did in fact racially abuse him then throw the book at them, but you should never jump to conclusions before you know the facts.

From the way it's being reported it sounds like he was targeted because they thought he was French, and it'd be pretty random for somebody to start hurling racial epithets at a person for that reason, especially if we assume, as is most likely, that both parties are in fact the same race. You'd think if they were attacking him for being French that they'd attack that national identity, not the persons race.

1 minute ago, The Great Dane said:

If they did in fact racially abuse him then throw the book at them, but you should never jump to conclusions before you know the facts.

From the way it's being reported it sounds like he was targeted because they thought he was French, and it'd be pretty random for somebody to start hurling racial epithets at a person for that reason, especially if we assume, as is most likely, that both parties are in fact the same race. You'd think if they were attacking him for being French that they'd attack that national identity, not the persons race.

The obfuscation commences.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

4 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

That's just whataboutery. Either way its attacking a 7 year old at a Rugby game and that is wrong on so many levels.

8 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

I suggest you read the article as its all covered there

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

That's just whataboutery. Either way its attacking a 7 year old at a Rugby game and that is wrong on so many levels.

Firstly, you don't know what whataboutery means.

Secondly, you don't know that a 7 year old was attacked.

6 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I suggest you read the article as its all covered there

Got a link?

12 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

I tell you what.  Let's save the multi page debate on the difference between race and nationality shall we and concentrate on the part where a seven year old boy was bullied and abused by adults.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived