I'm a proponent of this

1 hour ago, Graham said:

Good idea. With Aussie team traveling being a big problem for the Aussies, this would be a quality alternative to them. It would help keep rep team games between the north and south hemispheres alive.

The unfortunate reality is, the only organisation that would fund this would be the NRL. So to use it as an alternate to the Kangaroos, would still need sign off from the same organisation that is withholding the Kangaroos in the first place.

3 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

The unfortunate reality is, the only organisation that would fund this would be the NRL. So to use it as an alternate to the Kangaroos, would still need sign off from the same organisation that is withholding the Kangaroos in the first place.

Yes, I thought that would be the case.  It was more in hope than expectation.

It's a truly deplorable idea.

Internationals are for national teams, not ethnic teams.

Frankly the fact that we have ethnic representative teams at all is a bad idea. It's divisive and only a matter of time before it backfires just like all ethnic sport does (just look at the history of soccer in Australia).

In this case it's also inherently discriminatory and hypocritical, because certain ethnicities will always be barred from participating, and if history tells us anything it's that that road leads to hell.

9 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

What about adding Polynesia and Melanesia to the All Stars weekend?

Racial teams are an even worse idea.

I mean at that point you wouldn't just be asking for trouble, you'd be creating it.

I imagine that a Polynesian vs Maori match would be pretty awkward as well lol.

16 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

It's a truly deplorable idea.

Frankly the fact that we have ethnic representative teams at all is a bad idea. It's divisive and only a matter of time before it backfires just like all ethnic sport does (just look at the history of soccer in Australia).

In this case it's also inherently discriminatory and hypocritical, because certain ethnicities will always be barred from participating, and if history tells us anything it's that that road leads to hell.

Racial teams are an even worse idea.

I mean at that point you wouldn't just be asking for trouble, you'd be creating it.

I imagine that a Polynesian vs Maori match would be pretty awkward as well lol.

There has been precious little in the way of international rugby league while other sports have largely continued internationally . There appears to be a lack of interest in international RL in the NRL in particular. 
What’s your view then on the recent thrilling indigenous match? All involved enjoyed it as did the spectators and viewing public? That match showed there is an appetite for representative RL.

It’s a pity there’s not more of it.

14 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

I never once called it an international fixture.

Its no more exclusive than nationality, state or other representative fixtures. I think it is only discriminatory for those looking to find discrimination in it, rather than celebrating and tributary the culture on show.

On 17/02/2022 at 20:43, Graham said:

There has been precious little in the way of international rugby league while other sports have largely continued internationally . There appears to be a lack of interest in international RL in the NRL in particular.

Yeah well what are you going to do when internationals at best break-even in Australia. Many make a loss if truth be told.

It just is what is, and until that changes the NRL is always going to lack interest. How you fix that problem is debatable, however it's clear that sustainable interest in internationals will only happen off the back of the growth of the club game internationally, but this is an aside.

On 17/02/2022 at 20:43, Graham said:

What’s your view then on the recent thrilling indigenous match? All involved enjoyed it as did the spectators and viewing public? That match showed there is an appetite for representative RL.

It’s a pity there’s not more of it.

Why does that matter when you could have created something significantly more successful if you didn't both inherently and openly exclude anybody with the wrong ancestry... 

I mean you do understand that the British equivalent of the All Stars match would be to have something like an Anglo-Saxon vs Celtic game, where each player has to prove their ancestry (literal one-drop rule stuff) before they participate? Can you imagine the insidious impact that'd have on both the game in Britain and British society more broadly...

Either way the point still stands. We don't need the cultural cancer that are ethnic/racial teams to have successful representative competitions, SOO being the biggest annual sporting event in the country being the perfect example.

On 17/02/2022 at 22:52, Sports Prophet said:

I never once called it an international fixture.

I never said you did...

But that's what Laurie wants. He wants the the Indigenous All Stars to become a touring team that play national teams across the world in pseudo internationals, and that's a deplorable idea.

On 17/02/2022 at 22:52, Sports Prophet said:

Its no more exclusive than nationality, state or other representative fixtures. I think it is only discriminatory for those looking to find discrimination in it, rather than celebrating and tributary the culture on show.

You have to be wilfully ignorant in the extreme, and a massive hypocrite to boot I'll bet, to believe that.

Firstly, nationality, state, most other representative teams, do not discriminate based on inalienable characteristics, and at least conceptually (though it may not always be possible in practice) anybody can participate no matter their sex, race, creed, sexuality, etc.

Ethnic and racial teams on the other hand are inherently discriminatory based on inalienable characteristics, as anybody not born with the right ancestry/racial identity is barred from participating in any meaningful way.

You and I both know that if there was a role reversal in this case that there'd be outcry both nationally and internationally, and rightly so BTW, which puts to bed this BS of it simply being celebratory or tributary when only certain people will ever be allowed to "celebrate their culture" in this way.

When it comes to the World Cup there should only be one Australian side both white and indigenous playing together united, but if an indigenous side wanted to do a separate tour at some other time that is fine.

St-George-Dragons-2024.jpg

10 hours ago, R L Winger said:

When it comes to the World Cup there should only be one Australian side both white and indigenous playing together united, but if an indigenous side wanted to do a separate tour at some other time that is fine.

Absolutely @R L Winger. Disallowing indigenous people to create their own representative side to tour, in my opinion, is far more discriminatory than the having an indigenous side.

It’s baffling that you think in any other matter @The Great Dane and that you can’t distinguish the difference between representative sides celebrating minority cultures that over history have been marginalised (to put it lightly) and another representative team of white Australians.

I would love to see an Indigenous team participate against England. I think a UK tour involving Great Britain v Indigenous and v Maori would also offer a point of difference based on culture that would be very, very marketable.

Archived