James Bentley

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, redjonn said:

4 players red carded in SL, as a matter of interest why just Bentley having a thread? Was his offence somehow worse than the others? or have some a particular bias against him as a player ?

I think at Saints last season he was sent off once, sin binned four times and near the top for worst discipline at the club in 2022. He missed a lot of the season as well last year. He could be a great player if he can control his red mist moments. 

7 minutes ago, Josef K said:

I think at Saints last season he was sent off once, sin binned four times and near the top for worst discipline at the club in 2022. He missed a lot of the season as well last year. He could be a great player if he can control his red mist moments. 

yep. I think Leeds have a problem to help him to resolve.

6 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Looked bad at the time and agree that with the clamp down on head high it was a red. Looking for a positive out of it, you'd say he's been pinged the first week of the season and hopefully will fix up moving forward - sure Saints fans will disagree. 

As a Saints fan, I hope he and Leeds work on this. The lad is a talent, the thing is you don’t want to take all the aggression out of his game but you do need to control it. James Bentley at his best with that Leeds pack would be sensational.

7 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Looked bad at the time and agree that with the clamp down on head high it was a red. Looking for a positive out of it, you'd say he's been pinged the first week of the season and hopefully will fix up moving forward - sure Saints fans will disagree. 

I’d be delighted if he can fix it up. There’s a hell of a player there waiting to get out if he can fix his discipline. 

On 14/02/2022 at 02:39, RigbyLuger said:

People moan about referees, but if the rules are there to protect the health of the players, what's the issue? We've seen potential legal action may be taken over the effects of concussions, so what can the sport do?

If people think they can do a better job than the refs they can always apply to the RFL who are always looking for more match officials

On 13/02/2022 at 18:36, GeordieSaint said:

Prior to last season, Bentley’s behaviour was borderline… at best. Last season it was awful. Petulant and thuggish at times. Whilst Toppy (rightly) gets plenty to stick on here, he was wrong in assertions about Bentley. Yesterday was an awful start to his Rhinos career; glad he has left and would take Batchelor every day of the week.

On 13/02/2022 at 02:18, Jughead said:

He wasn’t unlucky in the slightest. He led with a closed fist and even without the new rules protecting players, he’s have likely seen the same colour card. 

On 13/02/2022 at 00:10, rhinos78 said:

Bentleys an idiot, he's a good player but his stupidity will stop him from being a useful player, his discipline is absolutely woeful.

On 12/02/2022 at 22:03, Scubby said:

Players like Bentley and Napa have to learn quickly or the game will actually penalise them out of making a living. If we want to have contact sports in 10-20 years time then players will have to be more switched on to things like high shots and late hits.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/60374743

I'm not sure Willie Poaching grasps the importance of clamping down on head high tackles and punishing the offenders.

6 hours ago, The Future is League said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/60374743

I'm not sure Willie Poaching grasps the importance of clamping down on head high tackles and punishing the offenders.

But I'm not sure looking at most of the games over the course of the weekend if it's the look that we want, with teams playing with 11 and 12.

Erm, maybe try and coach the players not to tackle recklessly and high? Just a thought Willy.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

1 hour ago, dkw said:

Erm, maybe try and coach the players not to tackle recklessly and high? Just a thought Willy.

give it a couple of weeks and there wont be so many, players dont want to sit on the sidelines not playing. 

It's been a really weird this one. A bad tackle that was clearly a red card any day of the week, rightly punished with a 3 match ban and there has been quite a pushback from many, including the coach and some media. I think some of them need to take a step back. It was highly reckless (look where Bentley ends up after the Tackle, he had zero control). 

I only hit to see parts of the game at the weekend and I must admit I was surprised it was deemed a controversial red card in any way in the slightest. 

1 hour ago, Wolford6 said:

Not to worry; Leeds will soon drag him down to their level of mediocrity.

😉

NB: I once had it on good authority that he's a decent lad off the pitch.

I'm just watching the super league show, walmsley saying despite his indiscipline,  there's no maliciousness behind it.

I mean, if he's a borderline sociopath, that's not much better, he's definitely got a problem.

How big is he? Is he undersized for a back row forward and trying to overcompensate with aggression? 

I don't have an issue with players like this, not unlike Bateman used to be, or Ben Westwood or similar, but you need to make the choice whether you are happy to accept the downsides that come with it. 

As a Wire fan I was happy with the downsides that came with Westwood rather than changing him and sanitising his play. That isn't condoning his foul play, it is accepting that him playing on the edge will sometimes see him fall off. We've seen it with plenty of great players over time. 

It's up to Bentley and Leeds how they want him to be moving forward. 

I'm happy to see Sam Walters or Morgan Gannon get some time on the edge for Leeds.  The latter in particular could be a very special player.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I don't have an issue with players like this, not unlike Bateman used to be, or Ben Westwood or similar, but you need to make the choice whether you are happy to accept the downsides that come with it. 

As a Wire fan I was happy with the downsides that came with Westwood rather than changing him and sanitising his play. That isn't condoning his foul play, it is accepting that him playing on the edge will sometimes see him fall off. We've seen it with plenty of great players over time. 

It's up to Bentley and Leeds how they want him to be moving forward. 

to be fair to him a couple of little tweaks and he goes from a red to a yellow.. for a start dont swing the arm and dont have a clenched fist... if it was open handed and a bit looser it was yellow (as was Oliver Holmes later as explained really well by the ref). 

We have to accept that if the players is falling you have to try and pull out, if you dont you're going to be in trouble.. We also have to accept that every so often players will get it wrong and be binned.. What we dont have to accept is that players get to do whatever they like and blame circumstances.. accidents are accidents I agree but certain accidents can be stopped from happening by changing behaviour (road accidents are a prime example).. so the same happens here.. if you do something that increases the risk then you are likely to get more heavily punished (driving at high speed, going through lights right on the edge of amber, drinking, playing with the radio, being on your phone etc). He went in with the sole intention to make the biggest impact he could, fair enough I dont have an issue with that, but when it goes wrong the likelihood is that you are going to get into more trouble than if you went in just to effect the tackle. 

Hes young and will hopefully learn. There are times to make your impact and times when you just need to make a tackle.. this was one of the latter, coming from way out, with a chance for the half back to step etc.. front on with the half back with no where to go, thats when you munch him and show him you're there.. 

49 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It's been a really weird this one. A bad tackle that was clearly a red card any day of the week, rightly punished with a 3 match ban and there has been quite a pushback from many, including the coach and some media. 

I haven't seen any real pushback from Agar. In that piece on Leeds considering an appeal he says nothing really that he doesn't probably always say when players get a ban.

In the events surrounding Saturday's game Bentley's red card and ban are amongst the least controversial.

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

They might find it hard to use the successful Saints trick of “his not that sort of player”excuse.

21 minutes ago, M j M said:

I haven't seen any real pushback from Agar. In that piece on Leeds considering an appeal he says nothing really that he doesn't probably always say when players get a ban.

In the events surrounding Saturday's game Bentley's red card and ban are amongst the least controversial.

I'm not a fan of coaches (and the club) saying anything even mildly questioning the ref or disciplinary tbh. And I expect there will be plenty of it from my club through Powell this year! 

Archived