Please Remove Automatic Relegation

Omott91

2 hours ago, bobrock said:

I couldn't read the whole seven pages, so please forgive me if you already talked about the idea. Why not keeping promotion and relegation but not automatic ? At the end of the season the bottom of the table of Superleague plays with the top of the table of the Championship in a one-off, and the winner will play in Superleague next year. The shop is not closed, but those who want to come in, have to prove on the field that they are good enough.

Do they both get 1.8 million to spend on their teams ?

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 13/02/2022 at 07:16, The Rocket said:

I just can`t see it going away unless a big investor comes in and says enough. Therefore the question becomes how do you make it easier for clubs to have a greater fighting chance of remaining in the Super League once they have got there.

I posted a list recently of the 172 current NRL players who are unsigned for the 2023 season and a pretty handy list it was. I imagine it would be a pretty similar sized list every year. I don`t know how many players a Championship club is allowed to sign once they reach Super League and in particular what is the foreign born player quota. But I have to wonder are clubs that think they are in a position of being promoted at the end of the year scouring that list and approaching agents and talking to those available players about contracts for next year, with possible get out clauses and perhaps a break-fee if they don`t win promotion. It might cost money but what`s the alternative, bumble along the bottom of Super League and then straight back out.

Key signings in three or four positions could make all the difference and I saw some pretty handy players on list.

Your presuming that these unsigned players are any good. There's a reason they remain unsigned

7 hours ago, bobrock said:

I couldn't read the whole seven pages, so please forgive me if you already talked about the idea. Why not keeping promotion and relegation but not automatic ? At the end of the season the bottom of the table of Superleague plays with the top of the table of the Championship in a one-off, and the winner will play in Superleague next year. The shop is not closed, but those who want to come in, have to prove on the field that they are good enough.

Fantastic suggestion and one that is tried, tested and works in Scottish soccer.

53 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Fantastic suggestion and one that is tried, tested and works in Scottish soccer.

I like the Scottish system. Is it Ok if I just expand on it please?

The play off for the Scottish Premiership is intially between 3rd and 4th in the championship. The winner then plays the 2nd placed team. The winner of this plays the 2nd bottom of the premiership. The winner of this 2 legged tie is promoted. 

The First placed side in the championship automatically replaces the bottom side in the premiership.

16 hours ago, bobrock said:

Great Idea Bob, could I just add that if it was extended to say 4 club's from each division to play each other, then the 3 club's finishing at the top of this mini league play in SL the following year, and the 4th and 5th placed contest an extra fixture for the right to join them, sounds pretty good to me 

17 hours ago, bobrock said:

So a rehash of the thing we’ve got now? I look forward to all the moaning the week of the first MPG Mk3. 

On 13/02/2022 at 18:46, Phil W said:

It's all very well saying win promotion and then raid the NRL for talent but that isn't building a club. That's buying a club. 

This ain`t the time to be proud, there`s 160 000 people playing Rugby League in Oz and probably another 30k spread around PNG, the Pacific and NZ. I think you have about 40k in England. Money is also in short supply in the game in your part of the world so running academies and developing juniors, which can be hit and miss anyway, isn`t a luxury you can always have, so why not utilise the southern hemisphere`s greater talent pool. This is professional sport after all.

12 hours ago, yipyee said:

Your presuming that these unsigned players are any good. There's a reason they remain unsigned

Every year dozens of new young talented players are coming through and the best make it into the top 30 the rest are warehoused in the state cups, this means a lot of players that are out of form or considered past their used by date aren`t resigned.

As we have seen in the last few years more than ever, players that were considered finished are coming back to the NRL and fitting right back in which suggests to me they weren`t finished at all, just surplus to requirements, as I said there is probably around 170 every year, it would be nuts not to utilise that resource.

55 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

This ain`t the time to be proud, there`s 160 000 people playing Rugby League in Oz and probably another 30k spread around PNG, the Pacific and NZ. I think you have about 40k in England. Money is also in short supply in the game in your part of the world so running academies and developing juniors, which can be hit and miss anyway, isn`t a luxury you can always have, so why not utilise the southern hemisphere`s greater talent pool. This is professional sport after all.

Every year dozens of new young talented players are coming through and the best make it into the top 30 the rest are warehoused in the state cups, this means a lot of players that are out of form or considered past their used by date aren`t resigned.

As we have seen in the last few years more than ever, players that were considered finished are coming back to the NRL and fitting right back in which suggests to me they weren`t finished at all, just surplus to requirements, as I said there is probably around 170 every year, it would be nuts not to utilise that resource.

It sounds like the NRL could do with a division 2 and 3

On 15/02/2022 at 20:13, binosh said:

And there is the point again?! by saying Super League loses little by relegating Leigh you are insinuating that they gain more by having Toulouse in. Quantify for me what that more is. What more do Toulouse offer Super league than Leigh, Featherstone, Bradford or Widnes?

At the minute Toulouse have offered nothing other than probably the worst team SL has seen in 10 years.

That's an easy answer.

Increased likelihood of French broadcast deal.

Successful 2025 World Cup.

A full time team unlike the part time teams you mention.

A market that isn't at saturation point.

20 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Wonder how many registered players French RL have? 

40 minutes ago, tec said:

Jesus wept let the best teams prosper wherever they are geographically. There are no expansion or traditional clubs they are RL teams and all should be treated the same way.

That’s the problem. We treat everyone the same despite their being great differences between so many. 

49 minutes ago, tec said:

Jesus wept let the best teams prosper wherever they are geographically. There are no expansion or traditional clubs they are RL teams and all should be treated the same way.

As long as they are not too far away and then everyone will want them to foot the travel bill. 

44 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

👍

With Promotion and Relegation as well may I add, that would make it far more interesting for those at the bottom of the NRL.

If that were to happen you can expect the broadcast deal and revenue to plummet.

10 minutes ago, tec said:
1 hour ago, Jughead said:

That’s the problem. We treat everyone the same despite their being great differences between so many. 
There will always be differences but why favour certain clubs ? 

The salary cap favours certain clubs.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

👍

With Promotion and Relegation as well may I add, that would make it far more interesting for those at the bottom of the NRL.

Penrith and Parramatta were near the bottom of the NRL a few years ago and they are now at the top. The Bulldogs made back to back Grand Finals 7/8 years ago and are now at the bottom. It is the very nature of not having P&R in the NRL that allows clubs to create cycles of success. You can't just bin off Brisbane because they were #### for a couple of years.

1 hour ago, Omott91 said:

If that were to happen you can expect the broadcast deal and revenue to plummet.

Nay nay Mr Wilkes, there would be far more interest in the dog fight to avoid relegation not only for the fans of the club's involved but also the viewer's who just might with those games that have nothing at stake may not tune in, I would wager the being figures would rise.

Archived