Sykes is a legend

NickD

Great win but we would not have won it without Paul Sykes.  Made both tries and  tackled  as per usual.  Sorry BSJ, but for now he has to start every game for me.   We haven’t found anyone that can take his place 😀

1 hour ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Fantastic effort in defence, provides leadership and yes made the winning try. 

We'll overlook the sin bin, missed touch kick and dead ball kick off 😁 but still well worth his 0kace in the side. Pick players on performance, not age.

I shouted “no” when he made that grabber kick, we a couple of tackles left after all to allow us to score out wide instead of by the posts!

Legs, Dews, Legs.

2 hours ago, NickD said:

Great win but we would not have won it without Paul Sykes.  Made both tries and  tackled  as per usual.  Sorry BSJ, but for now he has to start every game for me.   We haven’t found anyone that can take his place 😀

I can't comment Nick as I was absent. Delighted with the result, of course,  against a team that I genuinely dislike: I do hope to see them slide rapidly down the table.

Sykes is a legend, of that there is no doubt, but he isn't the future is he? I was surprised to see both Smith and Sweeting were absent today. Are they injured or doesn't LG have faith in them?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

I can't comment Nick as I was absent…

….I was surprised to see both Smith and Sweeting were absent today. Are they injured or doesn't LG have faith in them?

LG suggested in his Radio Leeds interview that with our budget we have to bring in lads from Championship1 or Academies and they have to try and prove their worth from the outset. From that it would seem Smith and Sweeting have yet to manage the step up, hence the successful(?) use of Sykes at stand off. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

36 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

I can't comment Nick as I was absent. Delighted with the result, of course,  against a team that I genuinely dislike: I do hope to see them slide rapidly down the table.

Sykes is a legend, of that there is no doubt, but he isn't the future is he? I was surprised to see both Smith and Sweeting were absent today. Are they injured or doesn't LG have faith in them?

He might not be the future but we were better for his inclusion today and the way the opening games went who came blame LG for reverting to someone with a bit more creativity and much better defence?

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

He is not the future as you point out

For all the good stuff he did, he made equivalent mistakes, it was a team effort today and not the Paul Sykes show as people are touting

Yes he contributed to the victory in difficult conditions, but so did 16 other blokes who all put a shift in and ground out a much needed victory in adverse conditions and a man down 🤔

Why the fluff we didn't take a kick at goal when winning 6-0 is a mystery and very poor game management and on another day could and would have cost us the match🤔

9 minutes ago, coolie said:

For all the good stuff he did, he made equivalent mistakes, it was a team effort today and not the Paul Sykes show as people are touting

Yes he contributed to the victory in difficult conditions, but so did 16 other blokes who all put a shift in and ground out a much needed victory in adverse conditions and a man down 🤔

Why the fluff we didn't take a kick at goal when winning 6-0 is a mystery and very poor game management and on another day could and would have cost us the match🤔

Bet that made your day Coolie, beating Sheffield, we did our bit for you as well by beating the Doggies

18 minutes ago, coolie said:

It was a scrum penalty so couldn't go for goal. 

14 minutes ago, spanishknight said:

Bet that made your day Coolie, beating Sheffield, we did our bit for you as well by beating the Doggies

Dislike Sheffield with a passion  it was very nervy for most of the game... But we got there, well done on beating our nearest & dearest 👏👏👏👏👏

1 minute ago, Wakefield Ram said:

It was a scrum penalty so couldn't go for goal. 

We had a big red beam of the stand blocking our view of the incident... So only saw the ref give the penalty and didn't realise it was a differential penalty... Thank you for clearing it up mate

34 minutes ago, coolie said:

Can’t disagree with that coolie.  Superb team performance today.  

11 hours ago, NickD said:

Can’t disagree with that coolie.  Superb team performance today.  

11 hours ago, coolie said:

100% this even lee Greenwood who said he wanted Sykes to show the two young halves how he wants them to play wouldn’t have learnt much from the way Sykes played. Sykes isn’t capable of playing a full season so the young halves will get there chance soon enough. 
gutsy team effort in difficult conditions and a much needed win and something to build upon. 

Great team performance but lets not forget that the first try was for all intents a clear forward pass which the ref missed. l get officials make mistakes so lets be prepared for when it happens against us 😀..a good tough workout. Ryder in the 2nd row was a great call. Annakin at prop was something l called for last season and l am glad to see it worked so well. l do wonder though, with Tomlinson and Ryder performing so well yesterday, will Knowles have to fight for his place or will LG revert to Ryder at centre. Be a shame if that happened based on yesterdays performance. The Widnes game will no doubt give us the answers. 

3 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

If playing Sykes in certain games helps us win, then he should play. There will be plenty of games like Leigh, Fev where there will be little prospect of winning where the other halves can play. We still need to ensure we stay up.

London & Workington 

Will be the reason we stay up

Interesting league after only 3 games

Bradford & Halifax both looking at played 3 with only 1 win, Halifax have Workington away & Featherstone & Leigh in their next 3, means Grix is looking at a played 6 lost 4... And that will cos him his job. 

Realistically we are exactly where we would expect to be after 3 games lose to Bradford & York and beat Sheffield 

We got the first win and that was certainly needed.. Let's see where we are after the next batch of games🤔

1 hour ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Not sure I'm seeing a clear forward pass. With Beckett, Ferguson, Knowles and Walton to return then selection is going to be interesting.

https://youtu.be/1ktzIuk06wI

If you look at the angle of Matty B's hands as he passes it clearly looks forward to me but we can agree to disagree 🙂

1 hour ago, coolie said:

London & Workington 

Will be the reason we stay up

Interesting league after only 3 games

Bradford & Halifax both looking at played 3 with only 1 win, Halifax have Workington away & Featherstone & Leigh in their next 3, means Grix is looking at a played 6 lost 4... And that will cos him his job. 

Realistically we are exactly where we would expect to be after 3 games lose to Bradford & York and beat Sheffield 

We got the first win and that was certainly needed.. Let's see where we are after the next batch of games🤔

I think you are right about London...looks like real problems dowm there...will reserve judgement til after the challenge cup game 😉 on Workington

2 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Not sure I'm seeing a clear forward pass. With Beckett, Ferguson, Knowles and Walton to return then selection is going to be interesting.

https://youtu.be/1ktzIuk06wI

Just had a look at the video, it was a forward pass but you will conceed a few tries like that, and you forget about the ones that go your way, we all do.

Watched it again for the angle of the hands and the respective players feet. Given the Eagles fans were mainly grouped directly in line in the South Stand and they weren't shouting for a forward pass and neither were the Eagles players (never shy of appealing 😁) then still not seeing a clear forward pass. But happy to agree to disagree. I'm sure we will have worse ones for and against us this season.

2 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Watched it again for the angle of the hands and the respective players feet. Given the Eagles fans were mainly grouped directly in line in the South Stand and they weren't shouting for a forward pass and neither were the Eagles players (never shy of appealing 😁) then still not seeing a clear forward pass. But happy to agree to disagree. I'm sure we will have worse ones for and against us this season.

Maybe forward pass maybe not,let’s be honest we didn’t get much from the official’s yesterday. Sheffield player’s running in in both the Sykes and Butterworth incidents didn’t help,and the Sheffield player applauding the red card😡

Archived