Alternate name for RL

Ok, before someone loses their mind without reading, please read. 

İ live in and coach Rugby League in Turkey, I love Rugby League and I get its history and the equal rights to claim the name Rugby but... HERE, and in many other emerging nations the very use of "Rugby" in our name means the government's WİLL NOT recognise our game as a separate sport to Rugby Union, which normally has government recognition as "Rugby". 

So...I am not asking the international Federation to change its name nor the game in England. 

As example in other games. 

Australian Rules Football // Footy // AFL // Aussie Rules

American Football // Football // Gridiron // NFL 

What are some suggestions for an alternate name for Rugby League? 

Keep in mind ANY use of "Rugby" does not solve our problem. 13 also does not help because we play different numbered forms of the game. 

The only absolutely unique element of our game is the "play the ball". 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Izmir Zaferi said:

Ok, before someone loses their mind without reading, please read. 

İ live in and coach Rugby League in Turkey, I love Rugby League and I get its history and the equal rights to claim the name Rugby but... HERE, and in many other emerging nations the very use of "Rugby" in our name means the government's WİLL NOT recognise our game as a separate sport to Rugby Union, which normally has government recognition as "Rugby". 

So...I am not asking the international Federation to change its name nor the game in England. 

As example in other games. 

Australian Rules Football // Footy // AFL // Aussie Rules

American Football // Football // Gridiron // NFL 

What are some suggestions for an alternate name for Rugby League? 

Keep in mind ANY use of "Rugby" does not solve our problem. 13 also does not help because we play different numbered forms of the game. 

The only absolutely unique element of our game is the "play the ball". 

The best re brand would be NRL Europe 

Last year I heard a podcast involving a new Australian rugby league fan,and Phil Caplan. 

It was great to hear such enthusiasm for the sport.

It seems people can tell the difference between the 2 separate sports of Basketball and Netball.

In order to separate the 2 codes of rugby someone suggested LEAGUEBALL.

I therefore suggest Leagueball.

Good luck,and thanks for your hard work.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

I am afraid you will be rounded abused..

But, you are right whether we like it or not we have lost the argument and the the term rugby does not do us any favours.

I would go for "League". Yes, it's a generic term that can be applied to any sport (Rugby is a school in a small town in Warwickshire, England but it caught on). Just use the term and it too will catch on.

" League" keeps our history and will be recognisable to a lot of sports fans but crucially it separates us from the negatives that " Rugby" holds us back.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

It blows me away when I read intelligent posters using the term `rugby` when talking about Rugby League, it must be so confusing for the uninitiated and is like a free kick for union every time. I suppose it is a generational thing and isn`t going to change overnight but it certainly isn`t hard just to substitute League for union.

One thing for sure you never, ever hear Rugby League referred to as rugby in Oz, it`s either Rugby League or League.

6 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

It blows me away when I read intelligent posters using the term `rugby` when talking about Rugby League, it must be so confusing for the uninitiated and is like a free kick for union every time. I suppose it is a generational thing and isn`t going to change overnight but it certainly isn`t hard just to substitute League for union.

One thing for sure you never, ever hear Rugby League referred to as rugby in Oz, it`s either Rugby League or League.

Or footy? 

National Rugby League 

Queensland Rugby League 

New South Wales Rugby League

Australian Rugby League Commission 

Rugby Football League 

It is what it is 🤷‍♂️

I always refer to it as Rugby League myself. Never want to be mistaken for talking about Union and thus giving them credit, they get enough credit from the money industry, bankers, insurance brokers 😂

4 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Or footy? 

National Rugby League 

Queensland Rugby League 

Rugby Football League 

It is what it is 🤷‍♂️

I always refer to it as Rugby League myself. Never want to be mistaken for talking about Union and thus giving them credit, they get enough credit from the money industry, bankers, insurance brokers 😂

Certainly `footy` sometimes, the others are just bodies and there would be all sorts of legalities changing that, although it would be a start and set a pretty good precedent. Your last sentence, couldn`t agree more, having any thing to do with `union` down here is treated almost like a statue symbol, fortunately a somewhat diminished one though.

8 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Or footy? 

National Rugby League 

Queensland Rugby League 

Rugby Football League 

It is what it is 🤷‍♂️

That is all in countries which have over a hundred years of Rugby League exposure. 

We risk having no government recognition nor funding without a new name (without the word Rugby)

We have this thread on a regular basis and it is because it is a major issue. I can certainly understand why people fight tooth and nail to keep the term Rugby and I still frequently correct people. I do though, hand on heart, think its a battle that has long been lost and our governing bodies have been compliant in that. Even compared to 30 years ago RU has a much stronger ownership on the term Rugby and now use it almost exclusively instead of RU.

In an ideal world in 1895 I think we'd have come up with a completely different name. Now we are in a position where Rugby is associated with RU and League is just a generic term that is used by sports the world over. As is Super League that is often mentioned that is often heralded as an alternative. All of this ensures that RL doesn't have a particularly strong identity and when our leading nation constantly refers to League and refers to Rugby as a different sport the game is up really. Changing now to something else is obviously difficult to do.

However I do think in new countries consideration should be given to coming up with an alternative name that can be used. These are greenfield sites with no baggage and there is no point in creating issues. That could perhaps be used in conjunction with Rugby League in developed countries with the name gradually changing over time or becoming interchangeable.

I really do think this is an issue for the sport as a whole - particularly for those countries where we are emerging and having to battle for an identity.

We have lost the battle for the name Rugby in isolation.  There is no point going over the history of that as it is now done and cannot be undone.

I don't think we can just use the word 'League' as that is too confusing with all the other sports that are contested via leagues the world over.

I actually like the idea of playing on the number 13 or XIII and that could certainly help us to find an identity but I see some problems - not least that there are variants of the game without 13 players like wheelchair Rugby League or indeed 9's.  Are we really going to say "are you watching the 13 9's today!"

Maybe the answer is to simplify what we already have.  NFL is now synonymous with American Football, NHL with Ice Hockey and in Australia NRL is synonymous with Rugby League.

Why don't we keep the RL part (and happily say it stands for Rugby League) but brand the sport as WRL (World Rugby League) or GRL (Global Rugby League).  That way, the NRL could be us Australian arm, Super League the European arm and in Turkey it could be 'GRL Turkey' or 'WRL Turkey'.

Another benefit would be that the Union mob want to use the term World Rugby and if we can get WRL or GRL established we can get ahead of the game with a global identity for once.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I'm wondering if the problem word is Rugby at all. Looking at other sports no one confuses Gaelic Football with Football ( soccer) , or Aussie Rules Football with Football.  Why , because they have a defining word before the sport name which immediately tells you it's something different.  Rugby and League both have other connotations,  put together it can be confusing to even sports minded people who don't know much about Rugby full stop. I know people who thought RU meant Internationals and RL was the same game but at club level. So something defining before the word Rugby is needed. Remember how the Labour Party added the word New to its name, suddenly it boomed in popularity. It was fresh, new, different,  although it wasn't really. So how about New Rugby,  immediately people think it's different,  fresh, and also tacitly defines Union as old and stale.

" I'm watching New Rugby,  you still watch the 6 nations stuff? Oh that's old Rugby man, get with it"

If the issue is in Turkey, and I get the problem with two outsider sports being called 'rugby', isn't what you need a good Turkish name instead of rugby?

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

19 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

If the issue is in Turkey, and I get the problem with two outsider sports being called 'rugby', isn't what you need a good Turkish name instead of rugby?

It's not just in Turkey though, it's in any country where RU has tried to suppress RL because in their minds they own the name rugby.  It's also in countries like Britain and France where it appears that the great majority have no idea that a distinct and separate version of rugby exists.

Many versions of football exist, which include both RL and RU.  It seems to me that the answer would be to come up with a qualifier word with solid, favourable connotations and put that with football to rename the sport globally as xxxxx football, where xxxxx stands in for that qualifier word.  Then no one anywhere would confuse it with RU.

24 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Its not just been Turkey, its been numerous other countries over the years too.

12 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

It's not just in Turkey though, it's in any country where RU has tried to suppress RL because in their minds they own the name rugby.  It's also in countries like Britain and France where it appears that the great majority have no idea that a distinct and separate version of rugby exists.

Many versions of football exist, which include both RL and RU.  It seems to me that the answer would be to come up with a qualifier word with solid, favourable connotations and put that with football to rename the sport globally as xxxxx football, where xxxxx stands in for that qualifier word.  Then no one anywhere would confuse it with RU.

That's pretty much what I said above, but the combination would be " qualifier word" Rugby. "New Rugby" would have the connotation of freshness and different and automatically label Union as " old Rugby " with the undesirable ( for them) connotations. 

2 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

That's pretty much what I said above, but the combination would be " qualifier word" Rugby. "New Rugby" would have the connotation of freshness and different and automatically label Union as " old Rugby " with the undesirable ( for them) connotations. 

The problem is that then you'll still have confusion because even in Britain and France the great majority of the population equates rugby with RU.  That's why the word rugby has to go.

Archived