Alternate name for RL

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Just call the sport “League Football” or “League” for short.

For example…

“Did you watch the League last night?”

Yes, Bournemouth beat Wycombe two nil but the second goal was offside.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

18 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I do think the ship has sailed on this front, but do wonder how different things could've been if they'd differentiated it better in 1922.

Take American and Canadian Football, they are essentially breakaway versions of Union but people don't make the association in the same way.

It's not just about setting ourselves up as a different sport, but I wonder subconsciously whether the rugby name has meant we've stayed closer to rugby than we would've had we made a clean cut. Like as an alternative version of rugby, felt we had to keep things like scrums etc.

Any name feels cringe now, and League is too vague outside of Australia. Imagine if somebody came to England with a sport called Alliance.

As others have suggested, as a Geographical name wouldn't work we should focus on a fundamental aspect of the game. Hence the winner:

Gerrumonsideball

Both american football and canadian football pass my krofball analogy.

I mean, as a proud American or less embarrassed Canadian, those are the games that you would want to watch.

Until someone can come up with a name that would work that well now and not be as cringeworthy, then I am all for it. I just doubt it exists.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

4 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Just call the sport “League Football” or “League” for short.

For example…

“Did you watch the League last night?”

“I want to play League when I grow up!”

“Those League players are tough as!”

Wow. "League".

That is what the Vichy Government did pretty much. Would you like 'game of 13'.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 minute ago, Bob8 said:

I mean, as a proud American or less embarrassed Canadian, those are the games that you would want to watch.

Until someone can come up with a name that would work that well now and not be as cringeworthy, then I am all for it. I just doubt it exists.

Canadian football used to be called Canadian rugby and was overseen by a body called the Canadian Rugby Union.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Canadian football used to be called Canadian rugby and was overseen by a body called the Canadian Rugby Union.

Indeed. Was it Novo Scotia or Newfoundland who played 13-a-side?

But, Canadian football is a fantastic name for the Canadian market.

'League' on the other hand is rubbish.

2 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Indeed. Was it Novo Scotia or Newfoundland who played 13-a-side?

Hark at you, Dr Canada.

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Hark at you, Dr Canada.

My new employer is Canadian. I am trying to moderate my previous virulent anti-Canadian racism.

I've always thought that the easiest thing would be to refer to the sport as "RFL" - so like people say "playing NFL" when they mean "playing American Football."

People who have grown up with the sport would still call it Rugby League/League/Rugby and the acronym would still stand for those things, but the sport would "officially" call itself RFL - so when a country like Turkey asks what sport it is, the response would be "RFL." Any question of "what does it stand for?" would be answered with "That's just its name. Like NFL in America."

23 minutes ago, zylya said:

I've always thought that the easiest thing would be to refer to the sport as "RFL" - so like people say "playing NFL" when they mean "playing American Football."

People who have grown up with the sport would still call it Rugby League/League/Rugby and the acronym would still stand for those things, but the sport would "officially" call itself RFL - so when a country like Turkey asks what sport it is, the response would be "RFL." Any question of "what does it stand for?" would be answered with "That's just its name. Like NFL in America."

Too logical. 😂 it's ready made, good to go and much like successful usage of 3 letters in other leagues. 

27 minutes ago, zylya said:

If / when asked what it stands for....Rebel Football League 

I don't want to upset Izmir (or Pulga) but aren't the ERL or the IRL supporting you in your ambition for government recognition? They should be standing (or at least be willing to stand) alongside the Turkish RL and showing the Turkish Government the the sport is different and has a global spread

Have you had any assistance (or contact) from the ERL/IRL? 

5 hours ago, fighting irish said:

I don't want to upset Izmir (or Pulga) but aren't the ERL or the IRL supporting you in your ambition for government recognition? They should be standing (or at least be willing to stand) alongside the Turkish RL and showing the Turkish Government the the sport is different and has a global spread

Have you had any assistance (or contact) from the ERL/IRL? 

Did you even read Izmir's post where he stated that the Turkish government's view is that rugby = RU and there's already a governing body for that?

On 14/02/2022 at 21:01, The Rocket said:

It blows me away when I read intelligent posters using the term `rugby` when talking about Rugby League, it must be so confusing for the uninitiated and is like a free kick for union every time. I suppose it is a generational thing and isn`t going to change overnight but it certainly isn`t hard just to substitute League for union.

One thing for sure you never, ever hear Rugby League referred to as rugby in Oz, it`s either Rugby League or League.

I hear rugby league referred to as just “rugby” every now and then in Canberra. There are people from all over the country here and at work some will talk about the Raiders “rugby team”. I’ve even heard a radio announcer use just “rugby” and an MC for a major community festival talk about the “rugby green machine” while on stage.

My oldest son also says he goes to “the rugby” at times…. he’s been a Raiders season ticket holder for over 15 years. It’s the influence of his friends who are descendants of those from south of the Barassi line.

(for the non-Australians https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barassi_Line )

16 minutes ago, Copa said:

I hear rugby league referred to as just “rugby” every now and then in Canberra. There are people from all over the country here and at work some will talk about the Raiders “rugby team”. I’ve even heard a radio announcer use just “rugby” and an MC for a major community festival talk about the “rugby green machine” while on stage.

My oldest son also says he goes to “the rugby” at times…. he’s been a Raiders season ticket holder for over 15 years. It’s the influence of his friends who are descendants of those from south of the Barassi line.

(for the non-Australians https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barassi_Line )

Incredibly enough since I made that post I witnessed Andrew Abdo being interviewed by supposed League fan Karl Stefanovic on the morning show about the up-coming NRL season, Abdo was enthusiastically promoting the different codes of League; Touch, Tag and Tackle when Stefanovic responded: " great, so many different types of rugby", I`ll swear I saw a cloud pass over Abdo`s face, I know one passed over mine. I`ll bet so-called League lover Karl is a private school boy.

You never hear it called rugby up here on the mid-north coast.

IIRC in Japan some years ago - when they had a small but successful comp - they called it Huddersfield League. I assume it was to avoid confusion. 
The other problem with the name is league. When I've done a Google search with a country name and Rugby league, it can come up with a RU comp in the country. 
I like the idea of ball being in the name but Handball is already taken. How about 13ball. For Nines it could be 9ball. Oh well, I tried.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

17 hours ago, Bob8 said:

I understand the Korfball analogy, in that it is about the ridiculous idea that a new name would attract new fans.

However, I don't think the desire to change the name is to attract new fans through the name, but to do away with the obvious problems that being called Rugby has caused and continues to cause.

My opinion is that it's too late to now, 1922 was when a change should've happened.

Archived