Alternate name for RL

5 hours ago, Copa said:

I hear rugby league referred to as just “rugby” every now and then in Canberra. There are people from all over the country here and at work some will talk about the Raiders “rugby team”. I’ve even heard a radio announcer use just “rugby” and an MC for a major community festival talk about the “rugby green machine” while on stage.

My oldest son also says he goes to “the rugby” at times…. he’s been a Raiders season ticket holder for over 15 years. It’s the influence of his friends who are descendants of those from south of the Barassi line.

(for the non-Australians https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barassi_Line )

Must be a Canberra thing.
None of my Australian friends ever just call it Rugby, that name refers only to Union.

Its Rugby League, Footy or NRL in my experience.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Copa said:

The problem will be the Australians are comfortable in their skin and what they call the game.
Nothing will make them change their name, it is ingrained in the culture and has a commercial value that they will not jeopardize.

League13

Super League 13

or anything else.

Most of the names suggested here that were not just being silly sounded like a School kids 5 a side name for a round robin.

On 14/02/2022 at 08:22, Izmir Zaferi said:

Ok, before someone loses their mind without reading, please read. 

İ live in and coach Rugby League in Turkey, I love Rugby League and I get its history and the equal rights to claim the name Rugby but... HERE, and in many other emerging nations the very use of "Rugby" in our name means the government's WİLL NOT recognise our game as a separate sport to Rugby Union, which normally has government recognition as "Rugby". 

So...I am not asking the international Federation to change its name nor the game in England. 

As example in other games. 

Australian Rules Football // Footy // AFL // Aussie Rules

American Football // Football // Gridiron // NFL 

What are some suggestions for an alternate name for Rugby League? 

Keep in mind ANY use of "Rugby" does not solve our problem. 13 also does not help because we play different numbered forms of the game. 

The only absolutely unique element of our game is the "play the ball". 

We had this a while back.

The conclusion from most of was  'Jizz ball'

It the allows phrases such as 

"An inside pass led to the jizz"

"Jizz of the week"

"It was an ugly faceplant over the line but he managed to get the jizz down"

On 14/02/2022 at 17:23, RL Tragic said:

League Rules is one . 

This is the nearest to a goer that I've seen on these threads.

League Rules Football 

Aka League Rules

Aka League

It may be an issue in Australia with a clash with Aussie Rules but sufficiently distinct. 

Ticks all the boxes for me.

- No 'rugby'

- Implies a superiority of the game.

My previous favourite was just always referring to the sport as RL which requires the least change but probably doesn't get rid of Rugby in the official name. 

1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I understand the Korfball analogy, in that it is about the ridiculous idea that a new name would attract new fans.

However, I don't think the desire to change the name is to attract new fans through the name, but to do away with the obvious problems that being called Rugby has caused and continues to cause.

My opinion is that it's too late to now, 1922 was when a change should've happened.

Very fair.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

13 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Did you even read Izmir's post where he stated that the Turkish government's view is that rugby = RU and there's already a governing body for that?

Yes I did mate.

I just thought that an approach from the European governing body (or the IRL) would add weight to their attempts to convince the Turkish Government that there are two different kinds of Rugby, completely unrelated to each other and we are the other one.

I'm just asking Izmir, if they've (ERL/IRL) shown any willingness to intervene on his (TRL's) behalf.

7 hours ago, Wholly Trinity said:

This is the nearest to a goer that I've seen on these threads.

League Rules Football 

Aka League Rules

Aka League

It may be an issue in Australia with a clash with Aussie Rules but sufficiently distinct. 

Ticks all the boxes for me.

- No 'rugby'

- Implies a superiority of the game.

My previous favourite was just always referring to the sport as RL which requires the least change but probably doesn't get rid of Rugby in the official name. 

League works in Australia because of the familiarity with the sport.

However, outside of Australia it wouldn't be a good name at all. It's akin to a sport being called Division, Conference or Group.

It would need to be something new and distinctive, that over time would stop being cringe and just become the norm. 

Still I think it's too late now, and would probably do more damage in the cringe factor than in any benefit.

Does anyone remember when if you phoned a club, They answered saying, Super league Wildcats etc. I was ringing for programmes btw. Maybe autographs too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/02/2022 at 20:30, fighting irish said:

Yes I did mate.

I just thought that an approach from the European governing body (or the IRL) would add weight to their attempts to convince the Turkish Government that there are two different kinds of Rugby, completely unrelated to each other and we are the other one.

I'm just asking Izmir, if they've (ERL/IRL) shown any willingness to intervene on his (TRL's) behalf.

The short answer is the Turkish government could hardly care to meet a group running a sport it has never heard of. The ERL has tried and the TRL has had very limited success but things can be very complex here. 

They already have the "Turkish Rugby Federation" which weird oversights Union, American Football, Softball and Baseball. It used to be called the "Foreign Sports Federation".

Hopefully the election of the TRL president to the TRL may help. 

1 hour ago, dkw said:

Call it Proper Rugby.

"Did you watch the rugby last night?"

"Union?"

"No, proper rugby"

Perfect.

That won't work, because to the great majority out there rugby = RU.  What part of that is difficult to understand?

On 26/02/2022 at 20:09, Izmir Zaferi said:

The short answer is the Turkish government could hardly care to meet a group running a sport it has never heard of. The ERL has tried and the TRL has had very limited success but things can be very complex here. 

They already have the "Turkish Rugby Federation" which weird oversights Union, American Football, Softball and Baseball. It used to be called the "Foreign Sports Federation".

Hopefully the election of the TRL president to the TRL may help. 

I've never been particularly impressed by politicians or political administrative departments Izmir and your story just adds more grist to the mill. 

The idea that the Rugby Federation has oversight over Softball and Baseball seems absurd, but why does it matter?

Do you believe, you are unfairly discriminated against by the TRF, and/or are you saying they are RaRa pawns and don't have your best interests at heart. Perhaps you fear that they (the government/TRF) would only support or finance one International (Rugby) team, or deny you financial grants to develop your club game, because they already give it to the RaRa administration?

Would they refuse to finance/support the baseball team because they already spend money on the Rugby Union side?

If not, then why not just go with it?

Of course I think, it's wise to remember, you might have more luck, canvassing your government to change the name of the TRF back to the FSF (or something more generic than TRF), than coming up with an alternative name for RL, just to wriggle out from under the TRF's umbrella.

On 16/02/2022 at 05:05, Copa said:

I hear rugby league referred to as just “rugby” every now and then in Canberra. There are people from all over the country here and at work some will talk about the Raiders “rugby team”. I’ve even heard a radio announcer use just “rugby” and an MC for a major community festival talk about the “rugby green machine” while on stage.

My oldest son also says he goes to “the rugby” at times…. he’s been a Raiders season ticket holder for over 15 years. It’s the influence of his friends who are descendants of those from south of the Barassi line.

(for the non-Australians https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barassi_Line )

well we always say, we are going to the rugby when we go every week... to our children, our friends, our neighbours... everyone.  I've assumed that's how we all refer to it over here in UK.  Maybe I'm missing something.

I thought it was just natural to say such...

Those with some interest may question whether it's a game they know about, say a 6 nations game. We then take a moment to educate them or remind them about our game.

Mind you most know what Rugby League is... but we do live up north.... but even when we lived in the midlands they knew about Rugby League.  Just needed reminding.

On 16/02/2022 at 11:04, Jonty58 said:

The problem will be the Australians are comfortable in their skin and what they call the game.
Nothing will make them change their name, it is ingrained in the culture and has a commercial value that they will not jeopardize.

League13

Super League 13

or anything else.

Most of the names suggested here that were not just being silly sounded like a School kids 5 a side name for a round robin.

Or a weekly RUGBY LEAGUE newspaper.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

The battle over the name rugby is lost (at least outside Australia and colloquially in the North)

A question of sport last week had 2 rugby union players out of 6 contestants.

A picture of some rugby balls linked to a question on "rugby" which was naturally about rugby union and no effort was made to distinguish it.

The only question on RL was a picture of Ellery Hanley, in his prime playing for GB, and no-one could name him.

League Rules Football still gets my vote.

Archived