Alternate name for RL

Things that stick are tags like NFL, NRL, NBA, IPL etc. however these are attributed to individual competitions rather than a sport.

Sports often move little from their original heritage. For RL the defining moment was the move from Northern Union to Rugby League. You rarely get to do that twice and keep your reputation. That ship has sailed unfortunately and the willingness not to challenge union trademarking everything with the single term rugby just compounds that.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Rugby football allegedly comes from the location where someone first picked up the ball and ran….so maybe we should call our game huddersfield football - the location of the meeting that first approved the breakaway.😊

OK , i’ll get my coat.

Huddersball 

Huddyball 

Huddball...😜

Peter V`landy`s has been mocked many times for his pronunciation of Rugby League as " Rugba League ", it had crossed my mind before, especially when he acknowledges it yet continues to use it, whether this is a deliberate ploy by a bloke who is a renowned hater of any competition and refuses to give them any free publicity.

I`m not suggesting we use `Rugba` League, and I can understand why some may find the use of `League` potentially confusing when there are so many Leagues around the world, but their use of  League is usually tacked on the end of something for eg. National Hockey League, we could just simply be known as League, I think this would be attention grabbing for that very reason i.e. League World Cup. I think the correct explanation is that rather than using it as a collective noun like everyone else, we use it as a proper noun.

Currently I think that unfortunately many people around the world would think that union has a world cup every two years.

5 hours ago, HawkMan said:

I'm wondering if the problem word is Rugby at all. Looking at other sports no one confuses Gaelic Football with Football ( soccer) , or Aussie Rules Football with Football.  Why , because they have a defining word before the sport name which immediately tells you it's something different.  Rugby and League both have other connotations,  put together it can be confusing to even sports minded people who don't know much about Rugby full stop. I know people who thought RU meant Internationals and RL was the same game but at club level. So something defining before the word Rugby is needed. Remember how the Labour Party added the word New to its name, suddenly it boomed in popularity. It was fresh, new, different,  although it wasn't really. So how about New Rugby,  immediately people think it's different,  fresh, and also tacitly defines Union as old and stale.

" I'm watching New Rugby,  you still watch the 6 nations stuff? Oh that's old Rugby man, get with it"

Part of the problem (if it is a problem) is many people in areas where league is the predominant code talk routinely about 'rugby' - as if union does not exist.

My sister-in-law, who is from Ipswich, Queensland, and lives in Hampshire, is a union fan and refers to it always simply as 'rugby'. On one early visit, we were having lunch in a pub, packed with rugger hearties and hangers-on, while a Six Nations game was on the telly (I know - nightmare scenario). She asked me if I liked 'rugby'. "I like rugby league," I replied. "I don't much care for this version." Despite growing up mostly between Halifax and Huddersfield, and having lived since in a few other 'rugby league towns', I always call it 'rugby league' - never 'rugby'.

16 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I don't believe we need to change the name officially but it might be helpful to use rugby 13s (like rugby 7s/9s/15s) as an unofficial descriptor in places where rugby league isn't particularly well established.    

That just sounds like another form of Union though.

4 hours ago, Izmir Zaferi said:

Ok, before someone loses their mind without reading, please read. 

İ live in and coach Rugby League in Turkey, I love Rugby League and I get its history and the equal rights to claim the name Rugby but... HERE, and in many other emerging nations the very use of "Rugby" in our name means the government's WİLL NOT recognise our game as a separate sport to Rugby Union, which normally has government recognition as "Rugby". 

So...I am not asking the international Federation to change its name nor the game in England. 

As example in other games. 

Australian Rules Football // Footy // AFL // Aussie Rules

American Football // Football // Gridiron // NFL 

What are some suggestions for an alternate name for Rugby League? 

Keep in mind ANY use of "Rugby" does not solve our problem. 13 also does not help because we play different numbered forms of the game. 

The only absolutely unique element of our game is the "play the ball". 

Where is this Turkey you speak of? I think I watched a North West Counties match there.

Near Blackburn right? 

Bloody M62 Corridor 

I think the initials is the best route forward. Especially in Europe, where initialising your sport is still rarely used to a significant level, outside UEFA Cup and KHL.

What I can’t escape from is the word Rugby. Why would it be? Six Tackle Hard Ball? Don’t mix that up with the already popular the pursuit of Six Ball Hard Tackle by the way 😂

I do think NRL is such a strong “name”. NRL, NFL, NHL and NBA are all go to names when describing a sport. 

5 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Relegation?

NRL has its own brand 

Going back 20 years or so union decided to call itself rugby amd create am owmership of that wording 

So NRL Europe

works for me 

Incidently that leeds v warrington game destroyed anything union had to offer

Adam hills was immense complaining anout the cold and reminded me of andrew Voss

7 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I do think NRL is such a strong “name”. NRL, NFL, NHL and NBA are all go to names when describing a sport. 

Not even Americans call their favourite sports NFL or NBA.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

I dont think of any of those as describing a sport, they are describing a league.

The Australian one is interesting.

When you go to the Sydney Morning Herald web site and then the sports section it is... NRL, Rugby Union, Cricket, Soccer and AFL and so the NRL and AFL are being used synonymously for Rugby League and Aussie Rules respectively.

Sport | NRL, AFL, Cricket, Rugby Union, Sports News & Results | The Sydney Morning Herald (smh.com.au)

In fact, when you go to the NRL section there is a story on how under 6 RL leagues in Oz are not allowing tackles this year... so Rugby League at under 6 level is still in the 'NRL' section.

Fox Sports is similar, with an NRL section and not a Rugby League section, as is the Brisbane Times and some of the other Aussie sites I have checked.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Here we go again.

Some time ago (the last time we had this topic) someone reminded us all that in the early days of video technology, the higher quality Betamax format was eclipsed by lower quality VHS.

Based on that story, the analogy was drawn up between RL and RaRa (Rugby League being the better quality offering, held back, by widespread RaRa (VHS)).

Anyway, on that basis (tongue in cheek) I think we should call our game AlphaMax Football. 

9 hours ago, Izmir Zaferi said:

Ok, before someone loses their mind without reading, please read. 

İ live in and coach Rugby League in Turkey, I love Rugby League and I get its history and the equal rights to claim the name Rugby but... HERE, and in many other emerging nations the very use of "Rugby" in our name means the government's WİLL NOT recognise our game as a separate sport to Rugby Union, which normally has government recognition as "Rugby". 

So...I am not asking the international Federation to change its name nor the game in England. 

As example in other games. 

Australian Rules Football // Footy // AFL // Aussie Rules

American Football // Football // Gridiron // NFL 

What are some suggestions for an alternate name for Rugby League? 

Keep in mind ANY use of "Rugby" does not solve our problem. 13 also does not help because we play different numbered forms of the game. 

The only absolutely unique element of our game is the "play the ball". 

League Rules is one . 

Archived