Johnny Whiteley RIP

I haven't seen an official statement but I'm hearing this too.

One of the true legends of the sport. In Hull FC history and folklore he's right up there with the likes of Clive Sullivan, Jack Harrison and Joe Oliver as true icons of the club who's impact will live forever.

RIP to a legend and one of nicest guys you could ever wish to meet.

An absolute  legend here in Hull. Our Grandson played for the the City of Hull Academy and other clubs and he said that Johnny was usually around watching and encouraging the young players. We are an Hull KR family but on this day it's not about clubs, it's about who the person was and Johnny was a wonderful gentleman and  who was always a pleasure to talk to.

RIP to a great rugby league player and a great person.

39 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Legend of the club and game. Did his part to stay involved until the very end. RIP Johnny.

Just reading some of the tributes on the Hull Daily Mail website. Apparently he still listened to the game yesterday.

Born down the same street as my late mother and only a few months earlier, he truly was "one of our own". A Hessle Roader to his core and absolutely revered in the community in which he grew up. We've not only lost a great player and a great man but one of our greatest ever ambassadors.

Heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

55 minutes ago, Sandy said:

An absolute  legend here in Hull. Our Grandson played for the the City of Hull Academy and other clubs and he said that Johnny was usually around watching and encouraging the young players. We are an Hull KR family but on this day it's not about clubs, it's about who the person was and Johnny was a wonderful gentleman and  who was always a pleasure to talk to.

RIP to a great rugby league player and a great person.

Neil Hudgell has posted a really nice tribute to Johnny. 

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

3 minutes ago, Ullman said:

Just reading some of the tributes on the Hull Daily Mail website. Apparently he still listened to the game yesterday.

Born down the same street as my late mother and only a few months earlier, he truly was "one of our own". A Hessle Roader to his core and absolutely revered in the community in which he grew up. We've not only lost a great player and a great man but one of our greatest ever ambassadors.

Heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.

A great tribute mate, very well put.

Johnny Whiteley was one of the real good guys, a person that nobody had a bad word about. In recent years I tend to sit in the West Stand more often than the East Stand for Hull FC home fixtures and whenever Johnny turned up and slowly took his seat, he always commanded an audience.

He was Hull FC Royalty, simple as that.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

3 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

It's worth clicking on this image as the last bits can't be seen unless you do.

Great words from Neil Hudgell.

First saw him play in 1957 in that great Hull pack.Very good ball playing loose forward who was an example to younger players.At a time when players dished it out a bit  he stood out in playing the game the right way never saw him get involved in foul play.His love of Rugby League stood out in the way he played ,Coached .Managed and viewed the game over 70 years.A sad loss RIP.

Archived