Doping in RL (Merged Threads)

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-02-15/i-live-with-the-fact-ive-cheated-ex-rugby-league-stars-open-up-about-doping

As an international captain Ollie Wilkes has an enviable Rugby League CV. A scorer for Scotland in a World Cup and an extraordinary professional career spanning more than 500 games for 11 different clubs over 21 years. 

When it comes to longevity in one of the toughest of sports, when he retired his beaten and battered body two seasons ago, he became a member of a very small club.It is for that reason he is torn about the conversation we’re about to have; in his own words he’s about to “trash” his reputation “and lose friends.”

That’s because Ollie Wilkes is about to admit to doping. He crossed the line a few times but was never caught. There were those who escaped sanctions throughout their careers.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just nearly spat me tea out. ITV 6 o’clock news just started and one of the main headlines is about doping in RL. I think it’s about Ollie Wilkes about to spill the beans on what happened in his career…..

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-02-15/i-live-with-the-fact-ive-cheated-ex-rugby-league-stars-open-up-about-doping

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

drugs and sport is in the news with regard the ice skater irrespective of the Russian regulators allowing her to continue. - that's not surprising with their history.

That doesn't mean we should hide such stories under the carpet, no matter how we love the sport.   Particular with the Acton post playing ban recently.

Depends if one thinks that Wilkes is doing it to improve the situation. As otherwise it may well be hidden from view.

Exposure ensures more focus.  We may well have a finance problem within the game but were that monies is spent tells us its priorities. A priority should be a very difficult drug detecting system that severely limits the chances someone takes.  One that the RFL can say their is absolutely no more we can do.  I am quite sure their is more the sport could be doing.

A couple steroids cycle puts 15kgs on you. Most of it muscle.

And that just a couple, imagine the guys that are on it permanently. You get more muscle mass taking roids without working out than you put on mass working out without roids.

So when you combine the two, you get big. And recover faster than ever before.

In short, yes players dope. In every professional sport, it happens. In some, it is obligatory.

34 minutes ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

Rugby league on national ITV is as rare as it appearing in the Daily Mail. Unless of course there's some muck to fling

There's a narrative for rugby league in certain sections of the British media. It was most biuntly expressed in the mid-90s by a journalist for the London Evening Standard called Michael Herd: it's a game "played by ape-like creatures, watched by gloomy men in cloth caps".

Fit that narrative: back page news!

15 minutes ago, Hvy wg said:

And that just a couple, imagine the guys that are on it permanently. You get more muscle mass taking roids without working out than you put on mass working out without roids.

In short, yes players dope. In every professional sport, it happens. In some, it is obligatory.

The old tendons and ligaments normally suffer

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

17 minutes ago, M j M said:

It doesn't change the validity of the story but ITV who barely recognise the sport of Rugby League exists, is a very, very strange place for this to be reported. Timing suspicious too.

We get people on here having a go at the BBC all the time who then, for reasons best known to themselves, give ITV a free pass despite the fact that the only time they report on TGG is for stuff like this.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

20 minutes ago, Hvy wg said:

Not as much as most think. They benefit from the boost. Some compounds are harder on the joints but they're generally OK.

I remember watching one of the running backs in the NFL giving an interview on steroids within the NFL, he pointed out why so many of the 300 pound plus guys always seemed to have tendon and ligament damage in one sentence, you can bulk up a 200 pound guy to 300 plus pounds but their tendons and ligaments still stay the same, in other words they are not designed to carry the extra 100 pounds or more.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

1 hour ago, Hvy wg said:

You don’t take steroids permanently & steroid users don’t put on muscle without working out.

11 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

You don’t take steroids permanently & steroid users don’t put on muscle without working out.

The old fashioned (Ben Johnson era) approach was to max out the muscle. These days, I believe, it's all structured micro doping and as much about stamina - notice how no one in any sport gets tired any more - and recovery, as much as it is about straightforward muscle/strength gain.

I know less about this but there's also an element of being less prone to injury and/or better able to recover.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, theswanmcr said:

C4, BBC, SKY: What a brilliant first weekend of Super League… the game is on the up!

ITV: Hold my beer

The game has its detractors 

Just making sure we stay in our place 

14 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Plus plenty of studies do actually show that someone taking steriods does gain more muscle than someone who worked out and didnt take any. Obviously lads playing league or union are doing both. 

To correct a slight but very common misconception, the main study that you're referencing gets brought up a lot and actually analysed increases in Fat-Free Mass (FFM) as opposed to specifically muscle mass. The reason why someone taking anabolic steroids (more specifically Testosterone in this study) had a greater increase in FFM without training than those who didn't take steroids but did train is due to increased retention of intramuscular water and glycogen associated with the use of the compound. 

That water and glycogen retention brings it's own acute performance benefits AND the appearance of increased size of all affected musculature in the body, however this is not actually an increase in muscle mass/tissue. If a person was to cease the use of exogenous hormones this water/glycogen retention would stop once the compounds are out of their system whereas any gains in muscle mass would stay so long as the individuals endogenous hormone production could support the maintenance of the newly acquired tissue in question.

43 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I remember watching one of the running backs in the NFL giving an interview on steroids within the NFL, he pointed out why so many of the 300 pound plus guys always seemed to have tendon and ligament damage in one sentence, you can bulk up a 200 pound guy to 300 plus pounds but their tendons and ligaments still stay the same, in other words they are not designed to carry the extra 100 pounds or more.

Happens when you do too much with hazardous compounds. I fully expect the dumb dumb in the NFL to be careless about the compound they use.

44 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

You can absolutely take them permanently, it's called blast and cruising and if I put you under 2g of test you would definitely get bigger.

4 minutes ago, Hvy wg said:

You can absolutely take them permanently, it's called blast and cruising and if I put you under 2g of test you would definitely get bigger.

Maybe bodybuilders,the more stupid ones but I doubt you’ll see it with professional RL players.

Archived