Doping in RL (Merged Threads)

2 minutes ago, Hvy wg said:

You can absolutely take them permanently, it's called blast and cruising and if I put you under 2g of test you would definitely get bigger.

I am 88years old and have been taking steroids for over 2 years due to a medical condition. Pleased to say, I have biceps and chest muscles to die for, (true) even though I am too old to "work out" 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Hvy wg said:

Happens when you do too much with hazardous compounds. I fully expect the dumb dumb in the NFL to be careless about the compound they use.

The major professional sporting leagues in the USA aren't signed up to WADA codes - something that would get you a four year ban anywhere else in the world will get you a few weeks on the sidelines in the NFL.

Combine that fact with the explosiveness of their sports and the monstrous pay available in a country with massive wealth inequality and it becomes very clear that doping in those leagues is an entirely different ballgame to any issues we could have.

Just now, UTK said:

The major Professional sporting leagues in the USA aren't signed up to WADA codes - something that would get you a four year ban anywhere else in the world will get you a few weeks on the sidelines in the NFL. Combine that fact with the explosiveness of their sports and the monstrous pay available in a country with massive wealth inequality and it becomes very clear that doping in those leagues is an entirely different ballgame to any issues we could have.

They're absolutely nuts and they use sh*t I wouldn't touch with a pole on horse level doses.

It's the same the South Africa, those guys aren't that big that young without years of abusing roids.

1 hour ago, Hvy wg said:

They're absolutely nuts and they use sh*t I wouldn't touch with a pole on horse level doses.

It's the same the South Africa, those guys aren't that big that young without years of abusing roids.

Yes quite. It’s far more prominent in the other code where bulk is a key determinant, they just have a bigger carpet to brush things under and a more favourable media. Particularly prominent in Wales as well

SO doping was rife amongst...

...Oliver Wilkes

And it made him that good of a player that he made so much money that he has to sell a nothing story to earn a few quid.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Drug abusers love to rationalise their behaviour by proclaiming ‘everyone else was doing it’… I would take it with a pinch of salt. 

And certainly interesting that this non-story is the one that suddenly gets ITV interested in rugby league. 🤐

There's plenty of drug taking at gyms. I've seen lads go from 12 stone skinny to 15 stone Hulk in months. Given how prevalent drug taking is, anyone who thinks RL is somehow immune is being a little naive. 

This isn't new, remember the late Terry Newton saying exactly the same thing in 2010.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12040/6180532/newton-reveals-drugs-shame

1 hour ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Given how prevalent drug taking is, anyone who thinks RL is somehow immune is being a little naive. 

Anonymous surveys - I can see one from Harvard in 2017 and a few others from elsewhere before and after - seem to put the number of professional athletes who, under conditions of not being named, will admit to taking banned substances themselves (so not 'having suspicions' about other people etc) at around 50%. This seems to cover all sports and looks like it's been consistent for at least a decade.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• John Drake changed the title to Doping in RL (Merged Threads)

Another whole bunch of posts removed.

In short: Don't name anyone or their club UNLESS they're explicitly referred to in the headline story OR are already proven drug cheats with a ban or other public punishment.

If you're 100% sure someone is a drug cheat, I'm sure the regulatory bodies of that sport would be delighted to receive your evidence. Alternatively, @John Drakewould be delighted to receive the evidence for a League Express exclusive, don't post it here until John approves it though!

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

6 hours ago, wiganlad said:

Is he still involved in rugby league in any capacity?

Assistant coach at workington town but hasn't been mentioned for a while 

This is very damaging for the sport and the timing is awful. Its the Lance Armstrong defence. Yes I cheated but its OK because everyone was doing it!

A small number of athletes in all sports cheat and RL is no different. Interesting ITV ran with a story about RL when they broadcast the six nations. I suspect RU has a much bigger problem with drugs, especially at an academy level. 

One other thing that annoys me the number of people 'in the know' who are trying to claim its 'rife'. It's really not though it would be naive to think there are players out there not doing it. 

You might hope that this would be less of a problem now that there are very few doping products that can't be detected during testing, unlike during Wilkes's time. We see a lot fewer mysterious absences from team matchday squads these days for example.

You never know though, as we saw in cycling, the science is usually a step ahead of the law.

16 hours ago, Padge said:

SO doping was rife amongst...

...Oliver Wilkes

And it made him that good of a player that he made so much money that he has to sell a nothing story to earn a few quid.

End of the day

You have to fully accept what you do, and not blame other people. 

Wilkes had a long career, but he was certainly no world beater. 

Nor was Jamie Acton 

Im not advocating performance enhancers but it seems odd that after a fantastic start to our season there is suddenly a bad news story

Entirely coincidental that ITV (who normally ignore rugby league) broadcast what can best be described as a sensationalist junk journalism piece 2 days after C4's record viewing figures for the Leeds v Wire game are released.  You can almost imagine the phone call instructing ITN to dig some dirt on RL once the figures for the terrestrial match were known.

Jamie Acton calling out Brian Carney and still insisting drug use is endemic in the sport.

As I put on the thread when his story emerged, its easy to con yourself into thinking actions are normal because your small group do something. Stepping out of that into a new environment often is eye-opening.

What these stories do emphasise is the importance of focusing on clubs and groups within clubs where people can think things are "endemic".

I'm not too concerned about the PR impacts tbh. Let's be honest, we won't be in the news for long, two bang average players admitting to taking drugs is only interesting for a few days. 

And most people nowadays will not be surprised that drug taking happens in sport. Its annoying that these players are making out they are trying to help the game, and that ITV are interested in a sport they aren't usually, but it'll pass and we'll carry on. 

On 16/02/2022 at 07:05, JonNgog said:

Drug abusers love to rationalise their behaviour by proclaiming ‘everyone else was doing it’… I would take it with a pinch of salt. 

And certainly interesting that this non-story is the one that suddenly gets ITV interested in rugby league. 🤐

you're telling me after i shove this needle into me bum, i need to take salt with it??

more expense

Archived