Doping in RL (Merged Threads)

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

I'm not too concerned about the PR impacts tbh. Let's be honest, we won't be in the news for long, two bang average players admitting to taking drugs is only interesting for a few days. 

And most people nowadays will not be surprised that drug taking happens in sport. Its annoying that these players are making out they are trying to help the game, and that ITV are interested in a sport they aren't usually, but it'll pass and we'll carry on. 

tbh dave, i wouldn't have heard about it if there hadn't been any threads on forums, cos i've not seen it mentioned on the news itself, or on twitter.

its been something of a wet fart of a story.

Edit, I say none, but here I am on a thread,  it's not EXPLODED and been everywhere,  is what I mean

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More coverage on sky sports this morning about it. Shame these players didn’t speak up when they were taking roids while still playing seen as they are so keen now to raise it as an issue. But then again that would take money out of their pockets 

1 hour ago, RL fans said:

More coverage on sky sports this morning about it. Shame these players didn’t speak up when they were taking roids while still playing seen as they are so keen now to raise it as an issue. But then again that would take money out of their 

John wells and brian carney have both put Wilkes ans Acton in their place

Both incidently have law degrees 

Hard to think that drug taking is rife as more people would get caught. But naive to think RL like any pro sport is 100% clean. What should be of more interest is how / why these players were never caught when they were playing. They've shown you can take steroids and not get caught.

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

I'm not too concerned about the PR impacts tbh. Let's be honest, we won't be in the news for long, two bang average players admitting to taking drugs is only interesting for a few days. 

And most people nowadays will not be surprised that drug taking happens in sport. Its annoying that these players are making out they are trying to help the game, and that ITV are interested in a sport they aren't usually, but it'll pass and we'll carry on. 

I think most people blame the players not the institutions now too... they accept it isnt a judgement on the country (unless you do what Russia did) or the club etc but on the players themselves... that is until we find it is the clubs that are doing it but there is going to need to be a lot more evidence rather than 2 players just saying it was with no evidence to just make themselves feel a little better about their own idiotic actions... 

anyway.. that Russian 15 year old skates again today so cant see this having too much traction.

I know of course of some stories about a number of players from 20 years ago 

Some if these are now prominent coaches in both codes. 

But the culture and drug testing procedures has largely eliminated a lot of this practice

On 16/02/2022 at 15:24, OriginalMrC said:

This is very damaging for the sport and the timing is awful. Its the Lance Armstrong defence. Yes I cheated but its OK because everyone was doing it!

A small number of athletes in all sports cheat and RL is no different. Interesting ITV ran with a story about RL when they broadcast the six nations. I suspect RU has a much bigger problem with drugs, especially at an academy level. 

One other thing that annoys me the number of people 'in the know' who are trying to claim its 'rife'. It's really not though it would be naive to think there are players out there not doing it. 

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/25-british-rugby-union-players-18753241

RL is the third most tested sport in the UK which based on active numbers and the general size of the game would indicate that they are doing more testing than a lot of other sports some of whom have a much higher profile. 

The above doesn’t mean the game can stand back as 1 cheat is 1 too many. 

Acton & Wilkes will think it’s more endemic because of the people they spent time with i.e. other dopers. Similarly Carney & Wells would appear to be unlikely dopers so the opposite behaviour/ beliefs are seen although the latter 2 have been in the sport at numerous levels and seem to be more balanced individuals.

Acton & Wilkes would have greater credibility if they provided names etc, on a confidential basis, to the RFL or UKAD even if just to substantiate their claims

Can the sport do more? Definitely yes but I don’t think it is the worse sport by a long way

3 hours ago, Barry Badrinath said:

I get what he's saying, but I note he's stayed on the PED's angle there not the social drugs *coff* hock *coff*

Cocaine is actually a PED in season tbf (its a weird classification) and is what Hardaker was done for.

3 hours ago, Damien said:

Sam Tomkins is obviously quite irate about this and has replied to a few people in this tweet. I can completely understand the anger players would have towards these 2 very average players seeking their 5mins of fame:

Don't blame him, or Gareth Owen, or any player wanting to chin the nobheads

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Don't blame him, or Gareth Owen, or any player wanting to chin the nobheads

Absolutely. Whilst I have no doubts that there will be players taking drugs, these two numbnuts making these vague allegations pretty much make everybody appear guilty. 

They are talking nonsense about wanting to raise this issue to help the game blah blah blah, but if they were naming clubs, managers and players involved, then they would be credible claims. If they don't want to do that, keep it shut. 

8 hours ago, Damien said:

Sam Tomkins is obviously quite irate about this and has replied to a few people in this tweet. I can completely understand the anger players would have towards these 2 very average players seeking their 5mins of fame:

Would be nice if the ex players in question announced how much they got paid for these ‘stories’

Archived