World Cup Digital Collectables

Damien

Another great initiative by the organisers in launching World Cup NFT's. This kind of thing will help to get youngsters engaged, think sticker albums for the 21st century:

WELCOME TO RLWC2021'S

DIGITAL COLLECTABLES MARKETPLACE

The marketplace is the only way to buy, sell, and hold officially-licensed, limited-edition RLWC2021 digital collectables. Sign-up and build your collection today!

Take on our range of Challenges for the chance to win exclusive prizes, match tickets, rare NFTs and much more!

https://nft.rlwc2021.com/#/

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't tell you how happy I am with the introduction of non-fungible tokens, I was getting properly fed up with my tokens being funged. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I'm afraid I lost all my money buying jpegs of hobbits and orcs...

...wait for it...

It was a non-fungible Tolkien scam.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

18 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I can't tell you how happy I am with the introduction of non-fungible tokens, I was getting properly fed up with my tokens being funged. 

i'm assuming you used to use this lot for your fungible assets? https://www.mushrooms.finance/

Just now, Griff said:

I understand the concept of sticking stickers into a Panini album.

I don't understand this at all, though. What am I collecting? And why?

Limited edition digital images, which you can then sell or trade in a market place.

Basically electric trading cards, so nothing new really.

This really does bring the RLWC in to the modern era.

NFT's are all over the place these days.

Tyson Fury, Katy Perry, Ozzy Osbourne, Snoop Dog are just a selection of the ones I currently own.

Have seen people make 10x times what they bought them instantly as soon as they get released.

1 minute ago, davet said:

This really does bring the RLWC in to the modern era.

NFT's are all over the place these days.

Tyson Fury, Katy Perry, Ozzy Osbourne, Snoop Dog are just a selection of the ones I currently own.

Have seen people make 10x times what they bought them instantly as soon as they get released.

How much do they cost on average?

11 minutes ago, Jughead said:

They’re relevant and something that the younger age range are quite keen on. 

Indeed and that is the important thing. With respect to most on here I don't think we are the target market for these.

If it helps to get kids engaged and talking about the RLWC then surely that is a good thing. I remember the old RL trading cards when I was at school and they were a great way to get kids engaged and talking about RL. This is just the 21st century smartphone generation version.

NFTs are just a financial bubble that hasn't popped yet.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ultimately the market will decide whether this is a good move by the RLWC organisers but I'm willing to give it a go. Transactions can be in sterling via TiliaPay so it's as risk free as any other online transaction. NFTs may crash and burn or they may hold their value. Either way, surely it's worth trying it for one world cup cycle?

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

How much do they cost on average?

The ones I have bought have been anywhere between $50 and $200.

I do all my trading on the Theta platform as they have good tie ins with the largest celeb agency in the US.

Obviously the rarer the NFT the more it can resale for.

2 hours ago, Griff said:

I understand the concept of sticking stickers into a Panini album.

I don't understand this at all, though. What am I collecting? And why?

2 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

Don't get this. Seems a swizz.

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

I got an email about this and had zero idea what it was they they want me to sign up for, glad I’m not in the minority. 

This is a 5 minute read and gives a pretty good Layman's terms explanation...

https://www.theverge.com/22310188/nft-explainer-what-is-blockchain-crypto-art-faq

On a more serious note.  I have looked into these NFT's for comic book assets.  I am a big fan of the Marvel comics and would look at getting rights to one of the digital assets from the online publications.  That would be ownership of something where the product is the image/content and for me has real value (in personal terms if not commercially).

Rugby League NFT's are a little more tenuous connection and the product is not the digital asset so not really for me.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived