Halifax

Peter Winthorpe

I would have thought the rfl would use some common sense, it’s only going to get worse, Halifax and their fans have a long trek, surely calling it off early would have been the sensible thing to do rather than letting team and fans start a journey and then potentially call it off later in the day. 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, IanMac said:

I would have thought the rfl would use some common sense, it’s only going to get worse, Halifax and their fans have a long trek, surely calling it off early would have been the sensible thing to do rather than letting team and fans start a journey and then potentially call it off later in the day. 

It is a trek especially in this weather same as last week but we don't have to do it every other week like Town,Haven and Barra.

Very ambiguous statement that doesn’t help anyone . Surely common sense is to call it clearly before they set off on the long trek ( and back in even worse weather ) .And even if it’s on a lot of folk won’t risk going if they’re a bit doubtful of the weather so it’ll hit the gate . Another day , better weather , better crowd 

24 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Very ambiguous statement that doesn’t help anyone . Surely common sense is to call it clearly before they set off on the long trek ( and back in even worse weather ) .And even if it’s on a lot of folk won’t risk going if they’re a bit doubtful of the weather so it’ll hit the gate . Another day , better weather , better crowd 

Come on DavidM the RFL and common sense are not 2 words you will ever hear in the same sentence..........

3 minutes ago, dkw said:

Is the ambiguity because of the new RFL rule around games being cancelled, if they deem it unnecessary then you get a 48-0 defeat dont you?

Surely not because of the weather? We can't even blame Bojo for that.

2 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Surely not because of the weather? We can't even blame Bojo for that.

It's the RFL, of course they could.

I think the wording in the Town statement is very telling "The RFL have deemed the pitch playable" sounds to me like we don't agree but have to go on their official decision. 

Does anyone know what input the club can have as to whether a game goes ahead? Is it purely a decision from an rfl appointment? If it’s cancelled when travel has been incurred it could surely have a cost implication for the club 

As far as I can see their is heavy rain and 44mph gusts during the game with peak winds rising in the evening to 66mph at 2am

So much better than shown earlier in the week, not pleasant but for once the earlier start will be of advantage.

The sensible thing would be to postpone and play during a fallow week later on.

Not many will travel and the gate will be poor. The pitch will be in a terrible state for the cup game next week

Good luck lads if you are playing today  and there will be an unwelcome taste of why we moved from winter rugby.

1 minute ago, Peter Winthorpe said:

As far as I can see their is heavy rain and 44mph gusts during the game with peak winds rising in the evening to 66mph at 2am

So much better than shown earlier in the week, not pleasant but for once the earlier start will be of advantage.

The sensible thing would be to postpone and play during a fallow week later on.

Not many will travel and the gate will be poor. The pitch will be in a terrible state for the cup game next week

Good luck lads if you are playing today  and there will be an unwelcome taste of why we moved from winter rugby.

It should be cancelled for safety reasons something that should be taken out of the authority of the ffl.

3 minutes ago, IanMac said:

Does anyone know what input the club can have as to whether a game goes ahead? Is it purely a decision from an rfl appointment? If it’s cancelled when travel has been incurred it could surely have a cost implication for the club 

It's entirely on the RFL officials decision as far as I'm aware, though the inspection is down alongside club officials. 

8 minutes ago, dkw said:

It's the RFL, of course they could.

I think the wording in the Town statement is very telling "The RFL have deemed the pitch playable" sounds to me like we don't agree but have to go on their official decision. 

Crazy it really is.

Just now, DavidM said:

I can just see them doing that to us as well 

Well we didn't have anyone up at the disciplinary this week so they're probably missing us, need to get one of our officials at their HQ next week somehow. 

The RFL - or rather their local representative, usually an ex referee - can only make the decision on whether the pitch is playable.

Irrespective of that, it is the decision of Town’s Ground Safety Officer which matters. If he says it is too dangerous to allow spectators into the stadium and the club would be breaching its safety certificate then the club can call the game off without any sanctions.

So ultimately it is not the RFL’s decision.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

I'm sorry but we all knew the forecast yesterday, why has the safety officer left it so late for the Halifax fans? I completely agree that it should be called off but the way it has been done seems a bit strange. Why didn't the safety officer make the decision at the same time as the pitch inspection at the very latest. It would have saved the "its on - oh no it isn't " scenario. Surely our caterer will have made food and everything by now!?

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

Archived