Halifax

Peter Winthorpe

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Cumberland Sausage said:

Just read the Halifax Twitter and it say's our safety officer has called it off.

Well if that is the case it's poor from us to wait so long to make that decision as surely they should have been involved in the decision at 7-45am

Exactly..  paints us in a bad light 

What a ridiculous thread! The match has been called off for safety concerns. The people who have to make these decisions don’t take them lightly. There is a yellow wind & rain warning for this afternoon. The ground staff & officials made every attempt to get the match on & the pitch was deemed playable this morning. They all deserve to be praised for their hard work which unfortunately has been overtaken by the concern for our safety. 

12 minutes ago, Nero said:

What a ridiculous thread! The match has been called off for safety concerns. The people who have to make these decisions don’t take them lightly. There is a yellow wind & rain warning for this afternoon. The ground staff & officials made every attempt to get the match on & the pitch was deemed playable this morning. They all deserve to be praised for their hard work which unfortunately has been overtaken by the concern for our safety. 

I'm not having a go but I guess people are saying if it is safe at 8.00 why is it unsafe at 11.00? Don't get me wrong I'm gutted it's off but personally think with so many home games we don't want the pitch wrecked as well as the safety issues.

10 minutes ago, Nero said:

The important thing is common sense has prevailed in the end. The match has been called off for safety reasons  the pitch was deemed fit to play albeit it would have deteriorated further due to the further heavy rain forecast

It was due to be much windier during the match than now where the wind peaks during the early hours of Monday. The wind is building during the evening and would have been bad for returning fans

When I started this thread it was to be gusting at 66mph during the game now 44mph. To access the popular side you generally go up the steps at the town end and walk up protected past the toilets and scoreboard when gusts are likely to affect older supporters

Anyone doubting the wisdom of this decision  go outside at 2am in the morning and see how difficult it is to walk into the wind. But be careful.

28 minutes ago, homeandawayer said:

I'm not having a go but I guess people are saying if it is safe at 8.00 why is it unsafe at 11.00? Don't get me wrong I'm gutted it's off but personally think with so many home games we don't want the pitch wrecked as well as the safety issues.

Well, you know, most of these people are volunteers and perhaps the safety officer was unavailable at 8am this morning ? They do have other commitments outside of Town you know.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

1 minute ago, Derwent said:

Well, you know, most of these people are volunteers and perhaps the safety officer was unavailable at 8am this morning ? They do have other commitments outside of Town you know.

Like i said i'm not having a go! That's why i said it 🙄 I'm saying what i'm sure Fax fans are saying, but i'm sure there's all sorts of protocols they have to follow. 

Delighted it was off, the game would have been a farce in those conditions. Hopefully those who saved their money today might be be more willing to rack up next week for the cup game  Just hope the game is rearranged for a sunny summer afternoon, and the Fax fans can come in numbers and enjoy their visit. Feel for any Fax fans who had made the journey.

9 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Nice of Mick Gledhill to pile in on us on Twitter .  Can I have my money back from the bradford bucket collections ?

He's an absolute tool David, wouldn't take any notice of him, he should comment on some of Bradford's antics over recent years instead of criticising us 

29 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Nice of Mick Gledhill to pile in on us on Twitter .  Can I have my money back from the bradford bucket collections ?

Hes an obnoxious waste of breath, wannabe journalist who gets mocked by every rl fan other than bulls ones. There's a reason he lost his RFL accreditation then posted an embarrassing tantrum video.

Town coming in for a lot of criticism for not postponing early compared to other clubs but both Bradford and batley announced yesterday that their games were called off by the rfl, we on the other hand had the rfl inspection telling us even this morning that we had to play

9 minutes ago, Route66 said:

Town coming in for a lot of criticism for not postponing early compared to other clubs but both Bradford and batley announced yesterday that their games were called off by the rfl, we on the other hand had the rfl inspection telling us even this morning that we had to play

If they weren't criticising Town it would be another team lol.

2 minutes ago, townie88 said:

Not the first time it's been unfortunate fans had already set off when a game got postponed, won't be the last. Having a moan isn't going to change anything.

Happened to us a few years ago at Newcastle, sat I a pub next to the ground watching rivers of rain running down the road waiting for an announcement. Pain in the ###### but it was what it was, no one's fault 

2 hours ago, Derwent said:

There’s a video on Town’s Facebook page of the pitch, ankle deep water in places, don’t know how it was deemed playable by the RFL official.

The RfL want games on at any cost it puts match officials under great pressure however common sense prevailed. I would say any other time the official would have used his experience and called it off but if the Safety officer says the ground is unsafe that's the end of it he over rides the officials. 

2 minutes ago, pgilmour said:

The RfL want games on at any cost it puts match officials under great pressure however common sense prevailed. I would say any other time the official would have used his experience and called it off but if the Safety officer says the ground is unsafe that's the end of it he over rides the officials. 

SAFETY first if someone had got injured or worse they would have something to moan about. Just not worth the risk.

5 hours ago, IanMac said:

Does anyone know what input the club can have as to whether a game goes ahead? Is it purely a decision from an rfl appointment? If it’s cancelled when travel has been incurred it could surely have a cost implication for the club 

None on the pitch off it yes safety officer

Archived