Sat 19th-Sun 20th Feb: The Betfred Championship (Non-TV) Match Thread

37 minutes ago, Johnny Ringo said:

The RFL inspects the pitch only. It is up to a club safety officer to make the safety call. Given the forecast which was a yellow warning it should not have been left so late. 

Could be seen that Town were hoping the RFL would call it to avoid them having to make a decision, once the RFL said it was playable only then did it get called on safety grounds.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Marrafan said:

RFL make the decision on the state of the pitch only. Ground safety officer made the call regarding safety can’t blame the RFL. Club should have spoken to GSO earlier forecast has been known for long enough. 

The match official has to be included in any decision, he only got to the ground this morning.

27 minutes ago, Neutralfan7 said:

Could be seen that Town were hoping the RFL would call it to avoid them having to make a decision, once the RFL said it was playable only then did it get called on safety grounds.

Or it was playable when the RFL inspected , as per their protocols , then the weather deteriorated and the decision was made 

28 minutes ago, dkw said:

The match official has to be included in any decision, he only got to the ground this morning.

And he said the pitch was playable that’s what they make an inspection for. The safety concerns are for the man with the title Ground Safety Officer. Why did Town not include him at the time of the inspection? Everyone on the Town forum was commenting on the weather yesterday so if you lot thought it was dangerous on Saturday surely he should have been there this morning when the official was inspecting the pitch? 

5 minutes ago, Marrafan said:

And he said the pitch was playable that’s what they make an inspection for. The safety concerns are for the man with the title Ground Safety Officer. Why did Town not include him at the time of the inspection? Everyone on the Town forum was commenting on the weather yesterday so if you lot thought it was dangerous on Saturday surely he should have been there this morning when the official was inspecting the pitch? 

No idea, go ask him, he's a volunteer so quite possibly was elsewhere this morning.

12 minutes ago, Marrafan said:

I guess they can only go on the weather as it is rather than a forecast . I don’t know , but it deteriorated rapidly after the inspection . Right decision made at the end of it however the procedure went 

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I guess they can only go on the weather as it is rather than a forecast . I don’t know , but it deteriorated rapidly after the inspection . Right decision made at the end of it however the procedure went 

Yes, and it was a perfect day in Workington yesterday, dry, sunny and no wind - given the pitch inspection this morning gave the OK the only option was to see if the Weather did get worse - once it did it was called off.

Can't really see what else could have been done by the club - if town had called the match off on Saturday based on a forecast when the weather was great and the pitch ok then the RFL would have come down on Town with fines and points deductions.

2 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Yes, and it was a perfect day in Workington yesterday, dry, sunny and no wind - given the pitch inspection this morning gave the OK the only option was to see if the Weather did get worse - once it did it was called off.

Can't really see what else could have been done by the club - if town had called the match off on Saturday based on a forecast when the weather was great and the pitch ok then the RFL would have come down on Town with fines and points deductions.

It's just a few daft jameaters trying to score points, possibiy as they are upset after their top 4 contenders (😂) got absolutely battered by Newcastle yesterday.

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

The oracle of rugby league has spoken 

Mostly factually incorrect , the RFL passed the pitch at the inspection and it was beautiful here yesterday so the game wasn’t in doubt since Friday 

I take it the game caller isn't too found of Town ?

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Mostly factually incorrect , the RFL passed the pitch at the inspection and it was beautiful here yesterday so the game wasn’t in doubt since Friday 

To be honest I always thought his Twitter page was a parody account of a RL journalist.....  So its real! - my God!

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

It’s funny , he makes out like he’s Woodward and Bernstein but he’s usually full of more wind than any storm 

He sounds like Sir Kevin Sinfield ( disgrace to to his namesake) he hates Featherstone with a passion ,and a few others right comedian.

18 minutes ago, DavidM said:

He might want to press the post button before including his internet searches in the post.

Half hour after the inspection it peed it down, seen a video from Town and the pitch was not playable.

21 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

He might want to press the post button before including his internet searches in the post.

Half hour after the inspection it peed it down, seen a video from Town and the pitch was not playable.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

2 hours ago, dkw said:

Apparently the club has to wait on the RFL official decision before they can do anything, even though its obvious to everyone the game can't go ahead  

I don’t really know the hierarchy of the decision to call the game off but at a time when we are trying to get fans back to games it really shouldn’t be so difficult to postpone games,especially when the away side is 3 hrs away.

There are plenty of retired refs knocking about who could be employed to make early morning inspections & it really shouldn’t be hard to coordinate that early inspection with the ground safety officer.

9 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

I don’t really know the hierarchy of the decision to call the game off but at a time when we are trying to get fans back to games it really shouldn’t be so difficult to postpone games,especially when the away side is 3 hrs away.

There are plenty of retired refs knocking about who could be employed to make early morning inspections & it really shouldn’t be hard to coordinate that early inspection with the ground safety officer.

I think it has to be the designated RFL match official, which is OK for Lancashire and Yorkshire clubs but if ones travelling to Cumbria it can cause a problem. As you say there's plenty of people round here could help out.

But this will always be a problem for clubs, the aim will always be to get the game on, timing and decisions will always be difficult. We had it a few years ago in Newcastle, sat in a bar by the river watching water running down roads and paths waiting for official word when it was blatantly obvious there was no way the game could be played.

Archived