Sun 20th Feb: SL: Salford Red Devils v Toulouse Olympique KO 15:00

Who will win?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Salford Red Devils
    • Toulouse Olympique

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/02/22 at 15:30

31 minutes ago, MZH said:

Perhaps, but 16 points is still a relatively large margin.

Im still not sure about Salford yet. They have some talented players, especially in the backs. I'm not reading anything into last week because Cas look terrible.

Granted teams like Salford at the mercy of injuries more than most but with close to a first choice team out they are a good side. I suppose we will see as the season goes on. 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Salford by plenty. The bookies have this at +20 and that'll be like buying money.

Toulouse looked like a Championship side last week, and there'll be little they can do to get over that.

In 2012 Widnes did OK in their first SL game losing to Waley 32-14 after being largely competitive. We lost 66-6 to Huddersfield the week after.

If there's a positive for Toulouse it's that we eventually became competitive and had relegation existed, would've only been relegated on points difference. 

I’d be shocked if Salford don’t win by 20+ points. The Toulouse side shocked me last week when I saw it on paper. Chris Hankinson was a solid squad player for Wigan, a lad who wouldn't let you down filling in at centre or as an emergency winger, but  I was stunned when I saw him named at stand off. 

They need reinforcements and quick if they’re to compete. 

8 hours ago, clogdance said:

Toulouse will have learned form last week's game, not to go out 'all guns blazing'...then tire. I predict Salford 24 Toulouse 10

OR they will find week-in week-out SL very tough going. Last week, they'll have had some level of emotion and were full of energy for a new start before eventually succumbing to a better side.

This week, they'll still be tired and will be in the backyard of a decent SL side who are used to the intensity of SL and will be far ahead early on.

I'm not being a Toulouse-hater - I've argued for their inclusion for years and fear it's becoming a typical RL botched job - but they remind me of Widnes in 2012, ie very noticeably at a lower level.

If there was one feature of that team, for the first half a season at least, it was that a decent performance was followed up by a blowout. Our first 2 victories were followed by a 48 point and 70 point defeat.

Sadly, the Huddersfield result might prove to be one of their better ones for the time-being.

8 hours ago, WN83 said:

I’d be shocked if Salford don’t win by 20+ points. The Toulouse side shocked me last week when I saw it on paper. Chris Hankinson was a solid squad player for Wigan, a lad who wouldn't let you down filling in at centre or as an emergency winger, but  I was stunned when I saw him named at stand off. 

They need reinforcements and quick if they’re to compete. 

Toulouse lost their first choice 1 and 6 a few weeks before the start of the season, that would be a crisis for any club. (Kheirallah hasn’t officially left but there has clearly been a fallout from his vaccine refusal as he isn’t in the squad again) They need to bring in 1 if not 2 replacements asap, I believe they are actively recruiting behind the scenes. 

Outside the spine they have a side that can compete in Super League imo, so if they can find an adequate replacement they are in with a chance.

14 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Huddersfield are 2 wins from 2 remember and were 16-0 up with the game won at half time against Hull kr.

Toulouse really need to target wins against Salford, Wakefield, Castleford and Hull kr, as well as picking up the odd home win on top of these. If they can achieve that they can stay up. 

You missed a team out who are near the bottom of the table who they would need to target. 

22 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Huddersfield are 2 wins from 2 remember and were 16-0 up with the game won at half time against Hull kr.

Toulouse really need to target wins against Salford, Wakefield, Castleford and Hull kr, as well as picking up the odd home win on top of these. If they can achieve that they can stay up. 

And Salford won away at Cas relatively comfortably. 

I'm not judging Toulouse on Huddersfield but on Toulouse. I've been around lower level SL and upper Championship all my life; I know a team that isn't SL quality when I see one, and I knew within 5 minutes they were going to lose easy to Huddersfield.

They're gonna need to get in significant recruits and hope the travel/weather advantage in the summer picks them up enough wins.

I appreciate I'm very much putting my neck on the line with today's game (which Toulouse will no doubt win now), but I can't see anything other than a comfortable Salford win. The weather might keep the score down but I've still stuck a tenner on Salford at +20.

22 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Toulouse lost their first choice 1 and 6 a few weeks before the start of the season, that would be a crisis for any club. (Kheirallah hasn’t officially left but there has clearly been a fallout from his vaccine refusal as he isn’t in the squad again) They need to bring in 1 if not 2 replacements asap, I believe they are actively recruiting behind the scenes. 

Outside the spine they have a side that can compete in Super League imo, so if they can find an adequate replacement they are in with a chance.

For me the problem wasn't in the half-backs, they don't look like a SL side. They're lacking size and a certain type of conditioning. Even a world class half-back pairing couldn't sort out the Toulouse I saw on Saturday.

Salford already three tries to the good.

Reds 14 Toulouse 0.

Sneeeyd only one conversion up to now so perhaps just "Sneyd".

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Red Devils' tries from Sio x 2 and Brierley.

Sneeeyd throws a dummy and nips in to score.

Reds 20 Toulouse 0.

It's going to be a long season for Toulouse. 

Salford on the other hand could put a spanner in the playoff works. Hull play them next week and it's not a game I'm looking forward to after our dismal showing against Saints.

Chris Hankinson opens the Toulouse account.

Reds 20 Toulouse 6.

I note that Pellissier is playing for Toulouse. He's still only 30 and, with respect to the French side, I would have thought he would still do a decent job for a more prominent SL side.

Edit : Scrap that about Pellisier, I was thinking about Tony Gigot and he's still only 31.

Wouldn't mind him at Hull...along with about a dozen others. 

Arf tarm.

Still 20-6.

Score had moved on to 20-12 while I was preparing roast spuds and parsnips but Salford have just crossed again, score now...

Reds 26 Toulouse 12.

Archived