Sat 19th Feb: SL: Hull FC v St Helens KO 12:30 (Channel 4)

Who will win?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull FC
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/02/22 at 13:00

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Im not sure that was a good test of where saints are (same as last week) theyve played two teams who were well under par.

theyre the best team in SL but id like to see them against better opponents to judge properly 

Whilst both under par, Catalans were/are amongst peoples favourites to win the competition, so it’s real signs of a good team not to get sucked into Catalans’ game plan and be disciplined and get the game won comfortably. 

Wigan look the second best side I’ve seen so far and beating Hull KR and Leeds is a very good start by them. 

3 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

You can’t over look Gale did very little when he was on a left his team down to 12 for 60 mins because of a half arsed attempt to block the ball. 

Fair point. I thought for Hull only really Griffin and Satae can hold their heads up. Maybe Lovodua too who struggled to make much happen but did look lively and at least tried to spark us up. The rest ranged from totally anonymous to downright liability.

4 minutes ago, Fax Knight said:

Not a fan of either of these sides so have no personal investment, but Saints are offside at virtually every play the ball (not saying Hull were much better). Just pause your tv and have a look.  As the Saints centres are always yards off by the time the ball has been passed twice from the play the ball any attacking options out wide are killed as their centres are standing next to the attack.  Not saying Hull would have won if Kendall had seen this,  but it just chuffing annoys me.  Happens every flaming game.  But then what do I know, I've only been watching for 40 years. 

agree with this, the only way to beat it is to slow the play the ball down.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

1 minute ago, MZH said:

I thought for Hull only really Griffin and Satae can hold their heads up.

Satae looked good in an awful team performance, especially when you consider he won’t really be familiar with that sort of weather. Never seemed to give up driving the ball in.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

@Damien; @Fevrover

I think you both make good points that it’s early days in a long season, but also that Saints need credit.

@Eddie Agree that St Helens will come in again with the bookies - they were 15/8 preseason.

Personally I’ve got a tenner on Saints, Melbourne and Leigh to win their respective competitions this season at 30/1.

I reckon I’ve underestimated Featherstone Rovers though!

10 minutes ago, Fax Knight said:

Not a fan of either of these sides so have no personal investment, but Saints are offside at virtually every play the ball (not saying Hull were much better). Just pause your tv and have a look.  As the Saints centres are always yards off by the time the ball has been passed twice from the play the ball any attacking options out wide are killed as their centres are standing next to the attack.  Not saying Hull would have won if Kendall had seen this,  but it just chuffing annoys me.  Happens every flaming game.  But then what do I know, I've only been watching for 40 years. 

I don't think Saints are any worse or better than all other sides in this regard.

I think the other thing to consider is ref's are typically taking teams back 11 or 12 metres these days... probably so they don't have to ping every single player stood a foot in front of them.  Not saying this is right or wrong, just the way it is reffed these days.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

@Damien; @Fevrover

I think you both make good points that it’s early days in a long season, but also that Saints need credit.

@Eddie Agree that St Helens will come in again with the bookies - they were 15/8 preseason.

Personally I’ve got a tenner on Saints, Melbourne and Leigh to win their respective competitions this season at 30/1.

In defence of Hull they will get players back and will improve no dout,if we don't get up this season we never will ( no disrespect to leigh or anyone else).

4 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

@Damien; @Fevrover

Melbourne will let you down too I think. Missed their chance last year.

7 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I don't think Saints are any worse or better than all other sides in this regard.

I think the other thing to consider is ref's are typically taking teams back 11 or 12 metres these days... probably so they don't have to ping every single player stood a foot in front of them.  Not saying this is right or wrong, just the way it is reffed these days.

We had this against Fev, and I don't like it. The ref took both teams back 12 but allowed a sort of jump start by the defence so they had a bit of momentum into the tackle. I don't get it, take them 10 then penalise if they're offside, I think it's a bit of an easy get out for a ref.

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think you could be right as well but hopefully they’ll give me a run for my money which is the main thing for me.

Both Melbourne and Leigh will be there at the business end so maybe opportunities to cash out 😄 

I thought the ref was good today. He was forced into making a lot of calls, due to the conditions and the poor discipline from some of the players, but I think he got the vast majority of the calls correct.  He had zero influence on the outcome. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived