Young SL players - A breakout season

After watching the first round of SL fixtures it got me thinking about what young players currently playing in SL should be looking for a real breakout season this year. In terms of improvement in their performance and visible progression as a player.

There are now a number of players at various clubs who have been around for a few seasons who i think really need to step up their game and take it to the next level this season.
Players that immediately spring to mind would be Harry Newman, Jake Wardle, Morgan Smithies.. Maybe even the Senior twins. Mikolaj Oldedzki is another player who I think should be looking to stamp some authority over the opposition prop forwards this year. Jack Walker is another Leeds player who you'd be hoping has a strong season and takes another step forward in his progression, despite coming back off a bad injury.

Even the likes of Jake Trueman, whose still only in his early 20's. Another player who I still think has more to offer.

With a world cup at the end of the year now would be a good time to show that progression.

I think the next season or two are quite key for some of these young players, in whether they can take that next step, or just remain, like many promising players before them, just your average SL player.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A name I would add into the mix is Tom Holroyd. He has all the physical attributes to be a top class front rower.

In my time watching the Acadamy teams take on the Aussies, the three most dominant performances from English middle forwards were James Graham, George Burgess and Holroyd.  If he develops as well as the first two he will do well.

(I understand that Oldedzki was very good down under but I haven't seen any proper footage of that tour).

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Kai Pearce-Paul at Wigan and Mikey Lewis at Hull KR. Pearce-Paul hopefully continues to develop and could be quality. Mikey Lewis who at one point was on loan at York last season, hopefully continues his excellent form at the end of last season.

13 minutes ago, Phil W said:

Kai Pearce-Paul at Wigan and Mikey Lewis at Hull KR. Pearce-Paul hopefully continues to develop and could be quality. Mikey Lewis who at one point was on loan at York last season, hopefully continues his excellent form at the end of last season.

Kai Pearce-Paul is someone who has been touted as someone with plenty of potential, but from what i've seen of him so far he looks at least a couple of seasons away from being close to realising that potential. Admittedly i've only seen him play on TV, and not week in week out like others may have.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

11 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Welsby, Dodd Lees, & Knowles @ Sts

Lewis @ HKR

Price, Wardle, Senior twins, Trout @ Giants

Hall @ Wakefield

Just a few off the top of my head

At 25, I think Morgan Knowles is probably past the age of a breakout young player.

But that's not to deride him, I think he is a superb player... hard as nails and skilful.  I honestly can't think of another player in Super League I would swap for him if I were Saints.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I'm looking forward to watching how Tindall plays tonight for the Rhinos. 

Some great young players already been mentioned. I'd like to add Wrench at Warrington, Gannon at Leeds, Litten at HKR and Smith at Wigan to that list.

There's also Young at Newcastle Knights. Hopefully Bailey Hodgson and the young forward from Wigan at Canberra get to make their NRL debuts this year

If picking an England team with youth in mind

1. Welsby - Sts
  2. Farnworth - Broncos
  3. Newman - Leeds
  4. Wardle - Giants
  5. Young - Knights
  6. Price - Giants
  7. Dodd - Sts
  8. Oledski - Leeds
  9. Walker - Warrington
  10. Havard - Wigan
  11. Pearce Paul - Wigan
  12. Gannon - Leeds
  13. Smith - Leeds

Subs

Lewis - HKR, Brown - Hull FC, Trout - Giants, Holdroyd - Leeds

51 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

It amazes me how so many of these teams are always stacked full of Leeds players and yet they've been pretty poor for the last 5 years. You'd think they'd have come good again by now!

I’ve named a young team, given that Leeds pretty much pick up most of the first choice young players across West Yorkshire then it’s logical that a young team would have a number of Leeds players in it.

If you disagree with my choices you could always take the time to name your own team

Josh Thewlis

Connor Wrench

Matty Ashton

Ellis Longstaff

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

20 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Josh Thewlis

Connor Wrench

Matty Ashton

Ellis Longstaff

Absolutely— especially Ashton and Wrench who both have pace to burn. I also feel with Powell as coach they’ll only get better and given a real chance to shine. Lewis Dodd I believe is the best scrum half this country has produced since Andy Gregory. Matty Lees has the potential to be a top drawer front rower. I hope Shaun Wane gives some of these kids, along with others mentioned a crack in the World Cup 

2 hours ago, Ant said:

Wardle has broken out, should be in serious consideration for England, if it were picked on ability and not club 

I was going to post more or less the same thing, Wardle is possibly the best English centre at the moment, of which we have a few good ones, he's been consistently good for 2 seasons now after being a top player in the academy competition for 2/3 years, if he played for Wigan, Saints, Wire or Leeds he'd be an international now.

He's got the potential to be as good as Newlove, Gidley, Lyon etc he's that good!

Being a Huddersfield fan and a big supporter of our academy teams over the years I am slightly biased, we have some cracking talent coming through or have come through our academy in the last few years, many are now regular first teamers.

Innes, Louis, Jake Wardle, Olly Russell, Matty English, Olly Wilson, Sam Hewitt, Jon-Luke Kirby, most from the last batch who made the academy semi final, Ronan Michael, Fenton Rogers, Robson Stevens, Aiden McGowan, Kieran Rush should all get some game time this year.

Kruise Leeming, Dom Young are 2 others that have graduated through our academy.

It makes you wonder how the Giants who bring nothing to the sport can produce these players but other clubs can't.

5 hours ago, Phil W said:

Kai had a cracking game tonight, great defence, constant threat to Leeds and seems to have suddenly developed a kicking game. He's just played his first 2 games at centre for Wigan and looks like he's grown up playing there. Big, strong, good hands and intelligent, he's going to be a top quality player.

9 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

It amazes me how so many of these teams are always stacked full of Leeds players and yet they've been pretty poor for the last 5 years. You'd think they'd have come good again by now!

Leeds produce more Super League players than any other club. It’s not been a great start to the year (7 first choice players out last night and then 2 more picked up injuries and were ruled out in the game) but Leeds will come good and finish in the top 4 this year 

8 hours ago, meast said:

he's been consistently good for 2 seasons now after being a top player in the academy competition for 2/3 years, if he played for Wigan, Saints, Wire or Leeds he'd be an international now.

Lol, when were all these internationals from the last 2 seasons he has missed out on?

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

This thread is difficult for a Catalans fan... 

Not sure any of our youngsters are world class caliber right now. Cesar Rougé and Thomas Lacans probably have the highest ceiling. Paul and Justin Sangare at Toulouse are big blokes but can they take it up the the SL level? 

12 hours ago, OMEGA said:

I’ve named a young team, given that Leeds pretty much pick up most of the first choice young players across West Yorkshire then it’s logical that a young team would have a number of Leeds players in it.

If you disagree with my choices you could always take the time to name your own team

I'm not necessarily disagreeing. It's just amazing how they're not the top side with so much youth coming through. They just don't seem to be kicking on like they used to. I'm envious of their youth coming through, would love it at Hull.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 hour ago, dkw said:

Tindal at Leeds looks a hell of a prospect. 

He’s raw but that pace and balance is exciting. He’s got a good build too.

I worry Jack Walker isn’t going to fulfil his early promise. He stagnated after breaking onto the scene and his injuries haven’t helped but he didn’t look like he had much pace yesterday and his positioning was poor for some of the tries. I fear he’s going the same way as Ash Golding. Outstanding young prospect at full back but doesn’t translate to the top level. I hope I’m wrong

1 minute ago, DoubleD said:

He’s raw but that pace and balance is exciting. He’s got a good build too.

I worry Jack Walker isn’t going to fulfil his early promise. He stagnated after breaking onto the scene and his injuries haven’t helped but he didn’t look like he had much pace yesterday and his positioning was poor for some of the tries. I fear he’s going the same way as Ash Golding. Outstanding young prospect at full back but doesn’t translate to the top level. I hope I’m wrong

Jack Walker is heading the same way as Jordan Lilley I think. You know when players are going to make it. Tom Johnstone has injuries but when he returns he lights the game up. Walker doesn't seem quick, doesn't dominate in the backline like a full back should and is not exactly a defensive rock at the back. 

Still young Jack Walker though so time on his side.

Archived