Young SL players - A breakout season

1 hour ago, Damien said:

I do have big hopes for Kai Pearce Paul. He has all the attributes to be something very special.

I think he could develop into something quality.  While giving him some games at centre is a good move, he will probably remain an edge forward overall as I don't think he quite has the pace for centre.

In a few years, if Dom Young and Pearce-Paul fill out a bit they could make a formidable right edge... 6' 7" and 6' 5" respectively. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I think he could develop into something quality.  While giving him some games at centre is a good move, he will probably remain an edge forward overall as I don't think he quite has the pace for centre.

In a few years, if Dom Young and Pearce-Paul fill out a bit they could make a formidable right edge... 6' 7" and 6' 5" respectively. 

I completely agree that he is a forward and that is very much what I see him as going forward. 

In old All Blacks style probables vs possibles, age 23 and under...

Probables :

1. Welsby - St Helens

2. Young - Newcastle

3. Newman - Leeds

4. Wardle - Huddersfield

5. Farnworth - Brisbane

6. Pryce - Huddersfield

7. Dodd - St Helens

8. Oledzki - Leeds

9. Walker - Warrington

10. Havard - Wigan

11. Pierce Paul - Wigan

12. Gannon - Leeds

13. Smith - Leeds

14. Litten - HKR (Hooker)

15. Holroyd - Leeds (Prop)

16. Byrne -  Wigan (prop)

17. Rushton - Canberra (Forward)

Versus possibles :

1. Walker - Leeds

2. Senior - Huddersfield

3. Broadbent - Leeds

4. Wrench - Warrington

5. Ashton - Warrington

6. Trueman - Castleford

7. Lewis - HKR

8. Dupree - Widnes

9. Johnson - Leeds

10. Partington - Wigan

11. Storton - HKR

12. Longstaff - Warrington 

13. Smithies - Wigan

14. Thewlis - Warrington (Outside Back)

15. Trout - Huddersfield (Prop)

16. Scurr - Bradford (Prop)

17. Nicholson - Wigan (Backrow)

21 minutes ago, rhinos78 said:

Probables :

1. Welsby - St Helens

2. Young - Newcastle

3. Newman - Leeds

4. Wardle - Huddersfield

5. Farnworth - Brisbane

6. Pryce - Huddersfield

7. Dodd - St Helens

8. Oledzki - Leeds

9. Walker - Warrington

10. Havard - Wigan

11. Pierce Paul - Wigan

12. Gannon - Leeds

13. Smith - Leeds

Versus possibles :

1. Walker - Leeds

2. Senior - Huddersfield

3. Broadbent - Leeds

4. Wrench - Warrington

5. Ashton - Warrington

6. Trueman - Castleford

7. Lewis - HKR

8. Dupree - Widnes

9. Johnson - Leeds

10. Partington - Wigan

11. Storton - HKR

13. Smithies - Wigan

Excellent post.

Shows we are in pretty good shape for the future.  Just picking one example, I mentioned yesterday how Trout is a quality prospect at prop and to have him at interchange in the Possibles is a sign of genuine strength in this area.

The talent from 1 to 13 in that Probables team is as exciting as I have seen for a long time.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

58 minutes ago, rhinos78 said:

Probables :

1. Welsby - St Helens

2. Young - Newcastle

3. Newman - Leeds

4. Wardle - Huddersfield

5. Farnworth - Brisbane

6. Pryce - Huddersfield

7. Dodd - St Helens

8. Oledzki - Leeds

9. Walker - Warrington

10. Havard - Wigan

11. Pierce Paul - Wigan

12. Gannon - Leeds

13. Smith - Leeds

Versus possibles :

1. Walker - Leeds

2. Senior - Huddersfield

3. Broadbent - Leeds

4. Wrench - Warrington

5. Ashton - Warrington

6. Trueman - Castleford

7. Lewis - HKR

8. Dupree - Widnes

9. Johnson - Leeds

10. Partington - Wigan

11. Storton - HKR

13. Smithies - Wigan

I have said it before, but Leeds produce more players than any other club. This also raises questions about how long Saints dominance can continue with so few quality young players coming through compared to Leeds.

Leeds - 8

Wigan - 6

Saints - 2

Warrington - 5

Huddersfield - 4

I agree that the volume of talent is very promising. Would Cas fans push for Jacques O'Neill to be included? I suspect some fellow Rhinos fans might suggest that Levi Edwards and Liam Tindall could feature at some stage as well. And while I think about it, any love for Umaya Hanley?

8 minutes ago, Spotty Herbert said:

I agree that the volume of talent is very promising. Would Cas fans push for Jacques O'Neill to be included? I suspect some fellow Rhinos fans might suggest that Levi Edwards and Liam Tindall could feature at some stage as well. And while I think about it, any love for Umaya Hanley?

Edwards could be as good, if not better, than any of them, at centre or second row. Only 18 though and has to prove it against men before i could put him in either team. He had a good start last season playing for Batley as a 17 yearold, scored 3 or 4 trys in as many games. Was between Edwards and Nicholson for my last bench place in the possibles, Nicholson is absolute quality aswel and doing very well in the championship at the minute.

32 minutes ago, Forever Trinity said:

Isaac Shaw at Wakefield was on last night great prospect and Yusef Aydin another prop from the Academy both looking good prospects. Along with Corey Hall and Harry Bowes that played last night Wakefield have some very good talent coming thorough now.

I like o'donovan from Wakey aswel, loads of good players just below the ones mentioned...All of which could overtake others over time. Corey Halls a case in point, at Leeds he was behind Newman and Broadbent who are both quality young centres,  then a year or two younger than Corey are Levi Edwards, although i prefer him at Second row, and Max Simpson, a 17 yearold centre who's very good, Leeds have got very high hopes for him, so Hall was behind 2 who Leeds think are better now and had 2  behind him that Leeds think are better prospects. So the move to Wakey was one of them deals thats just a good move for everyone

Looking at the start of this season, Hall looks like he's going to play plenty of SL, Broadbent hasnt had a look in, Edwards is available for Duel reg with Fev but hasnt been used yet...So as of now, Hall looks like the one who's getting opportunitys to improve his game at the highest level, Which is what its all about for a young player. This time next year, Hall or josh Simm could be in my possibles team instead of Broadbent, if we continue to pick donkeys like Briscoe and Suttcliffe ahead of him, and Hall and Simm continue to get SL experience.

Along with Levi Edwards, Baily Hodgsons the biggest talent not to make my teams imo, i rate Jack Walker highly and think Welsbys better again, but it Wouldn't suprise me if Hodgson ended up being better than both of them, he's that good...But again, the other 2 have done it at SL level, in big games. Not every young scholarship/Academy superstar can make that transition.

2 hours ago, rhinos78 said:

Probables :

1. Welsby - St Helens

2. Young - Newcastle

3. Newman - Leeds

4. Wardle - Huddersfield

5. Farnworth - Brisbane

6. Pryce - Huddersfield

7. Dodd - St Helens

8. Oledzki - Leeds

9. Walker - Warrington

10. Havard - Wigan

11. Pierce Paul - Wigan

12. Gannon - Leeds

13. Smith - Leeds

Versus possibles :

1. Walker - Leeds

2. Senior - Huddersfield

3. Broadbent - Leeds

4. Wrench - Warrington

5. Ashton - Warrington

6. Trueman - Castleford

7. Lewis - HKR

8. Dupree - Widnes

9. Johnson - Leeds

10. Partington - Wigan

11. Storton - HKR

13. Smithies - Wigan

Im glad you have dupree in there

The lad is gonna go all the way

15 minutes ago, rhinos78 said:

I like o'donovan from Wakey aswel, loads of good players just below the ones mentioned...All of which could overtake others over time. Corey Halls a case in point, at Leeds he was behind Newman and Broadbent who are both quality young centres,  then a year or two younger than Corey are Levi Edwards, although i prefer him at Second row, and Max Simpson, a 17 yearold centre who's very good, Leeds have got very high hopes for him, so Hall was behind 2 who Leeds think are better now and had 2  behind him that Leeds think are better prospects. So the move to Wakey was one of them deals thats just a good move for everyone

Looking at the start of this season, Hall looks like he's going to play plenty of SL, Broadbent hasnt had a look in, Edwards is available for Duel reg with Fev but hasnt been used yet...So as of now, Hall looks like the one who's getting opportunitys to improve his game at the highest level, Which is what its all about for a young player. This time next year, Hall or josh Simm could be in my possibles team instead of Broadbent, if we continue to pick donkeys like Briscoe and Suttcliffe ahead of him, and Hall and Simm continue to get SL experience.

Along with Levi Edwards, Baily Hodgsons the biggest talent not to make my teams imo, i rate Jack Walker highly and think Welsbys better again, but it Wouldn't suprise me if Hodgson ended up being better than both of them, he's that good...But again, the other 2 have done it at SL level, in big games. Not every young scholarship/Academy superstar can make that transition.

Good comments 

3 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I have said it before, but Leeds produce more players than any other club. This also raises questions about how long Saints dominance can continue with so few quality young players coming through compared to Leeds.

Leeds - 8

Wigan - 6

Saints - 2

Warrington - 5

Huddersfield - 4

6 of those players are actually from Halifax with 5 from the Siddal club

7 hours ago, Spotty Herbert said:

Possibly with O Neil.  

Cain Robb (19) looks a good prospect at Cas, young hooker, a bit of young Daz Clark esq player quick and evasive around the ruck.

Quare-Quare would be the other at Cas.

Although Robb and Quare-Quare are a bit further down the line based on experience compared to most mentioned on this thread.

Always worth adding a Welsh perspective:

There are two young lads Jacob Lee & Joe Coope-Franklin who recently debuted for Salford in a pre-season friendly, Lee getting a try. Both big, physical lads. “The next Flower and Dudson!” one WRL employee quipped to me last season. 

Jamari Chatham is in Hull FC’s reserves this year, a very quick winger in the Regan Grace mould.

Kyle Huish and Lewis Pinder both in Wigan’s academy/reserve set up. The former has come a long way physically and looks like a ball-playing middle. One of the best juniors I’ve seen in the South Wales league in many a year.

Back home, one player who many see as the next big thing is Harri Ackerman. He’s a full-back or centre and has all of the attributes to go to the top. What’s the issue? As well as being around WRL’s Coleg y Cymoedd Academy he’s also with the Dragons RU academy and has recently been called up to WRU’s U18 squad. WRL need to do what they can to hold onto him and I imagine a phone call to Salford, what with them being the strongest link in the chain, may be the best thing. 

On 18/02/2022 at 19:24, OMEGA said:

Welsby, Dodd Lees, & Knowles @ Sts

Lewis @ HKR

Price, Wardle, Senior twins, Trout @ Giants

Hall @ Wakefield

Just a few off the top of my head

Knowles is past this now he is usually in Saints top 3 performers every week. 

all the others I’d agree with. I’d also add KPP at Wigan. Plus Smithies and Burn they’ve been talked about for a while. This season Wigan have a better pack so it’s time for these lads to step up. 

10 hours ago, rhinos78 said:

Senior ?

Which one, hope not Innes. He spent two seasons on loan at Wakey and totally hopeless in my opinion.

Glad to see back of him. 

Kershaw, not international quality but far better

Murphy,  he could really make something, much younger but far better

28 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Which one, hope not Innes. He spent two seasons on loan at Wakey and totally hopeless in my opinion.

Glad to see back of him. 

Yeah louis, should of been clearer.

Too early to say Murphys better than Innes Senior, he's got loads of potential but barley played a first team game. Innes was also a very highly rated teenager once, like murphy is now, probably more highly rated than Murphy, if you think he's totally hopeless at 21 playing SL, then thats all the caution needed before proclaiming a teenager with no first team pedigree as better than someone with 40 SL games, who's still very young and learning his trade himself.

Kershaw, i like.

10 minutes ago, rhinos78 said:

Yeah louis, should of been clearer.

Too early to say Murphys better than Innes Senior, he's got loads of potential but barley played a first team game. Innes was also a very highly rated teenager once, like murphy is now, probably more highly rated than Murphy, if you think he's totally hopeless at 21 playing SL, then thats all the caution needed before proclaiming a teenager with no first team pedigree as better than someone with 40 SL games, who's still very young and learning his trade himself.

Kershaw, i like.

I can assure you Murphey will make a far better player. 

9 hours ago, rhinos78 said:

Edwards could be as good, if not better, than any of them, at centre or second row. Only 18 though and has to prove it against men before i could put him in either team. He had a good start last season playing for Batley as a 17 yearold, scored 3 or 4 trys in as many games. Was between Edwards and Nicholson for my last bench place in the possibles, Nicholson is absolute quality aswel and doing very well in the championship at the minute.

Nicholson could end up being the best of our big bunch of young forwards coming through. He’s looked absolutely superb for our junior sides and against us for Newcastle in pre season. I believe he’s playing very well for them in the Championship as well and will look forward to seeing him as and when they’re on Premier sports. 

A player I’ve not seen mentioned too often on here, who I think could take the 9 shirt at Wigan in time is Brad O’Neill. He was outstanding on loan at Widnes last season and has shown up really well for the first team when he’s played. He just needs an opportunity now to really show what he can do. I’m hoping we see him in the first team pretty soon. 

1 hour ago, Agbrigg said:

Murphy has speed to burn and class written all over him. He’s like a carbon copy of a young TJ having watched him in academy last year he was far too good.

Wakey may not be a glamorous club but the production line this past few years is top class.

Jowitt, TJ, Batchelor, Crowther, Croft, Kershaw have come through past few years. 

Hard to believe Batchelor is still only 23 but to me he looks like he’s hitting another level this year. 

Now we have Aydin, Eseh, O’Donnovan, Bowes and Shaw as forwards. 

Then Murphy and Butterworth in the backs who look good. 

For all the frustrating things being a wakey fan the youth player production line is one thing we can shout proudly about. 

You only have to look at league one too to see teams littered with Wakefield's ex academy lads. 

Hall is 19 by the way and he looks like a classy player. 

2 hours ago, Agbrigg said:

Glad to see back of him. 

He was only there as a secret agent 😉

13 hours ago, Agbrigg said:

No you cant, you can have that opinion and i hope your right.

I tend to agree with you, he looks excellent, but i like to see how they transition to mens rugby before proclaiming them better than x,y and z.  Too many have failed to make that transition in the past unfortunately.

Archived