While topics like these might be painfully boring for the average fan, like myself, govt. recognition in many countries is the be all and end all, and often is the one thing standing between RL and basic essential needs like access to fields etc.

The more countries achieve this, the better off we all become as a sport as a whole.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/02/2022 at 21:37, langpark said:

While topics like these might be painfully boring for the average fan, like myself, govt. recognition in many countries is the be all and end all, and often is the one thing standing between RL and basic essential needs like access to fields etc.

The more countries achieve this, the better off we all become as a sport as a whole.

Hear hear! 

• 4 months later...

Very good news, especially when you remember the ordeal they've been put through in recent years.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Very encouraging given their previous tteatment.

• Like 1

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

Good to see that my other homeland has Rugby League as a recognised sport. Now they can officially play without fear of having their games stopped by police. This should kick start a new era of getting people to watch and/or play the sport. Though to be fair the funding needs to be there to make sure this full on succeeds. It would also be nice to have some international matches being played in the country. Would be nice to know what the local media would make of this. To put it in a way many people know it as from one Chris Kamara 'Unbelievable Jeff'.      

I know the Greek game's problems have come from the vengeful idiot Anastasios Pantazidis, but this official recognition also pre-emptively cuts the legs out from under any of the standard dirty tricks that Greek RU might have tried.

• Like 3

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

31 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I know the Greek game's problems have come from the vengeful idiot Anastasios Pantazidis, but this official recognition also pre-emptively cuts the legs out from under any of the standard dirty tricks that Greek RU might have tried.

Yes and it seems RU no longer has its own federation there either.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_union_in_Greece 

• Like 3