Marching On Together

koli

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Barry Badrinath said:

What was the a side

"We hate Rhinos".

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

• John Drake changed the title to Marching On Together
1 hour ago, koli said:

Just watching LUFC v MUFC and heard the crowd singing “Marching on Together”.

only recall hearing if from Rhino fans before. Did it originate at the rugby or the soccer?

The first verse is:

Here we go with Leeds United,
We're gonna give the boys a hand,
Stand up and sing for Leeds united,
They are the greatest in the land.

Rhinos obviously drop that bit when they play/chant it.

It's Leeds united's song, their fans started singing it at Headingley when the football club was ###### and the rugby team were doing well and the fans went there instead, now the football is doing ok again they go back to the football and sing it there again.

24 minutes ago, daz39 said:

It's Leeds united's song, their fans started singing it at Headingley when the football club was ###### and the rugby team were doing well and the fans went there instead, now the football is doing ok again they go back to the football and sing it there again.

They've always sung it at Elland Road , despite what sort of form LUFC have been in .

9 minutes ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

They've always sung it at Elland Road , despite what sort of form LUFC have been in .

I know they have but until Leeds United were in the 3rd Division i'd never heard it played or even sung at Headingley - coincidence? i think not.

57 minutes ago, Damien said:

I actually like it too and think its great when clubs have their own individual songs. It all helps for the atmosphere. Yes it may have come from Football but as a Rugby fan I firmly think of Leeds RL when I hear it now.

Totally agree, maybe Rhinos should get one.

12 hours ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

Believe me , Leeds RL fans sang it in the early to mid 1990s , probably even before .

Yes this is definitely the case. It was being sung by Leeds fans at Headingley in the 80s and 90s so it's nothing new.

Leeds started playing it at the start of games sometime in the early or mid 2000s.

6 minutes ago, M j M said:

Yes this is definitely the case. It was being sung by Leeds fans at Headingley in the 80s and 90s so it's nothing new.

Leeds started playing it at the start of games sometime in the early or mid 2000s.

Probably when the rights were up for grabs in the bonfire of the vanities

6 minutes ago, M j M said:

I distinctly remember it being sung in the late 90s when Leeds United were going great guns and were in the Champions League etc. That was before their financial troubles so I dont think it fits the Football fans starting to watch Leeds Rhinos and singing it narrative.

Archived