Marching On Together

koli

42 minutes ago, iffleyox said:
1 hour ago, Damien said:

I actually like it too and think its great when clubs have their own individual songs. It all helps for the atmosphere. Yes it may have come from Football but as a Rugby fan I firmly think of Leeds RL when I hear it now.

Totally agree, maybe Rhinos should get one.

The old Leeds club song, which possibly still remains the official one, is 'Keep right on til the end of the Road'

There are others - both the ones I know of are best forgotten: 1994's 'Leeds have Thirteen Wonders' ("Oh Leeds have thirteen wonders, that the Rugby fans know well, some young ones and some old ones, it's a mixture that works well... Douggie Laughton's Barmy Army are shouting from the stand, so give a cheer for the Loiners, they're the best team in the land.").

And 97 or 98's 'Forever Rhinos'- of which I can only recall, "Gonna get right to the top, we're Forever Rhinos."

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, M j M said:

Yes this is definitely the case. It was being sung by Leeds fans at Headingley in the 80s and 90s so it's nothing new.

Leeds started playing it at the start of games sometime in the early or mid 2000s.

I'm a fev fan and believe it or not , fev fans used to sing it , that was in the 80s and early 90s , and although I joined in with the singing , the lines " we love you , fev , fev , fev " sounded really tacky and twice as bad when we played Leeds .

1 hour ago, M j M said:

The old Leeds club song, which possibly still remains the official one, is 'Keep right on til the end of the Road'

Definitely sung by the players after the match. There's an episode of Maurice Bamford leading the singing on Scrumdown.

But the Leeds fans of the 1980s wouldn't have gone near MOT at that time. There were two chants:

Leeds, Leeds, Leeds, Leeds, Leeds

and for some variety:

Loiners, Loiners, Loiners, Loiners, Loiners

4 hours ago, Damien said:

I actually like it too and think its great when clubs have their own individual songs. It all helps for the atmosphere. Yes it may have come from Football but as a Rugby fan I firmly think of Leeds RL when I hear it now.

Absolutely and there is probably grounds for a thread that explores that. I mean what gets sung at Midland Hurricanes these days?

I think for those RL clubs in big cities with neighbouring big football clubs, then a merging of tunes will occur. In essence mainly as its the same or the similar type of person attending.

I know here in Shock City, there is a musical spectrum that bridges MUFC, FC United, Salford City and Salford Red Devils.

For example all four have their own version of "Dirty Old Town." 

The FC classic taken from "Anarchy in the UK" has cropped up at both Old Trafford and the AJ Bell. Ha! only here could that happen.

Even the SRD's "anthem" of "Red Moon Rising" appears at the three other red teams.

As a supporter of the Rhinos and now a laxed Lufc supporter the 'Marching On Together' singing is now recognised by most supporters of both clubs as representative of the city.

Ive joined in the singing myself both at Headingley and Elland Road and really enjoy the chorus of support and couldn't careless where it originated, which was at Elland Road....long may it continue at both clubs.

It’s always bemused me when I’ve heard it played at Headingley, often asked why are they singing a football song?

I wonder if they’ll adopt the ‘Leeds, Leeds are falling apart, again!’ (Sung to the love will tear us apart tune)

1 hour ago, arcticchris said:

Definitely was Leeds Utd first and started being sung at Rhinos games in the early 2000s as the two teams fortunes crossed over and Rhinos golden period coincided with the football team dropping down the leagues.

I was there in the 80s and 90s and it was definitely being sung at Headingley then. 

25 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

It’s always bemused me when I’ve heard it played at Headingley, often asked why are they singing a football song?

I wonder if they’ll adopt the ‘Leeds, Leeds are falling apart, again!’ (Sung to the love will tear us apart tune)

Its a Leeds anthem now

4 hours ago, idrewthehaggis said:

Absolutely and there is probably grounds for a thread that explores that. I mean what gets sung at Midland Hurricanes these days?

We also sing our version of Marching On Together.

Well, I do anyway because I also happen to be a fan of LUFC.

Mainly though we stamp our feet and sing "Hurr-ee-canes!" to the tune of Mouldy Old Dough (ask your gran) because of the Coventry connection.

Actually, can I get back to you after we've played our first home game? Cheers

3 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

I've booked myself in for a hearing test. 

All I heard at Headingley last week was booing. I timed the first one at slightly over 3 minutes, which is nowhere near the record of one minute 40 seconds, set in 2020.

It's built in. Just turn up and boo.

Whereas at Warrington of course its just the sound of polishing the Championship Trophy Cabinet with the tears of generations of Wire fans? 😉

56 minutes ago, Yorks Tim said:

We also sing our version of Marching On Together.

Well, I do anyway because I also happen to be a fan of LUFC.

Mainly though we stamp our feet and sing "Hurr-ee-canes!" to the tune of Mouldy Old Dough (ask your gran) because of the Coventry connection.

Actually, can I get back to you after we've played our first home game? Cheers

I am sure many of us hope you Midlanders have plenty to sing about in the next few months.

22 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Its no more upsetting than the thousands of Cas/Wakey etc fans who sing we all hate Leeds sc*m at rhinos fans then profess to be "all leeds aren't we" for LUFC on a Saturday afternoon.

Had an incident on twitter last week after the coach issue at warrington,  was being yelled at by a cas fan, with a Leeds United avatar, that lives in barnsley

I always remember in the 80’s Leeds fan’s singing Loiners Loiners, but i don’t remember them singing Yorkshire Yorkshire Yorkshire.
When two Yorkshire teams play against each other do they chant Yorkshire Yorkshire Yorkshire at each other throughout the game. 

On 21/02/2022 at 15:34, idrewthehaggis said:

I think for those RL clubs in big cities with neighbouring big football clubs, then a merging of tunes will occur. In essence mainly as its the same or the similar type of person attending.

I know here in Shock City, there is a musical spectrum that bridges MUFC, FC United, Salford City and Salford Red Devils.

For example all four have their own version of "Dirty Old Town." 

The FC classic taken from "Anarchy in the UK" has cropped up at both Old Trafford and the AJ Bell. Ha! only here could that happen.

Even the SRD's "anthem" of "Red Moon Rising" appears at the three other red teams.

What other places have rugby and football crossover songs? Going off on a slight tangent I can remember going to a Hampshire v Sussex one day final at Lords and Sussex fans starting singing Sussex by the Sea which is also Brighton and Hove Albion’s club song. In response half the Hampshire fans starting singing ‘play up Hampshire’ and the other half ‘oh when the hawks go marching in’. 

On 21/02/2022 at 20:36, Tommygilf said:

Whereas at Warrington of course its just the sound of polishing the Championship Trophy Cabinet with the tears of generations of Wire fans? 😉

You can do your patronising thing but it's engrained, Tommy. I've been to almost every Wire match at Headingley since about 1979. I was there in 1986 when Gregory and Roberts ripped you apart and I've been there for almost every Wire game since then. We've won some and lost some, but it's the only place I genuinely worry about going to.

There's an awful sense of entitlement and superiority that pervades the two big sporting clubs in Leeds. I support Leeds Utd and have been to loads of games at Elland Road but I find the fans there embarrassing as they are always so angry and unhappy. I think Headingley has the same culture.

You know the old "W-nky Warrington" chant that you were doing last week? Your club is still just fine with the official trumpeter playing along with it as the fans sing along. What message is that sending to the kids if they ask what is being played? I don't suppose you care but your club should.

6 hours ago, Leeds Wire said:

You can do your patronising thing but it's engrained, Tommy. I've been to almost every Wire match at Headingley since about 1979. I was there in 1986 when Gregory and Roberts ripped you apart and I've been there for almost every Wire game since then. We've won some and lost some, but it's the only place I genuinely worry about going to.

There's an awful sense of entitlement and superiority that pervades the two big sporting clubs in Leeds. I support Leeds Utd and have been to loads of games at Elland Road but I find the fans there embarrassing as they are always so angry and unhappy. I think Headingley has the same culture.

You know the old "W-nky Warrington" chant that you were doing last week? Your club is still just fine with the official trumpeter playing along with it as the fans sing along. What message is that sending to the kids if they ask what is being played? I don't suppose you care but your club should.

That's an escalation, you've said all Headingley does is boo and now its unsafe 😂

If you find that song morally offensive you need to stop being so precious dear. Though I suspect having gone to Elland Road as you say you have, then you will have heard worse - after every opposition goal kick alone for example. Literally millions of kids have learned swear words at sports games - its almost a right of passage.

I watched Leeds win an actual Super League final against Warrington, as well of plenty of League games, but who is counting dear? We don't need to count wins because being the successful club we are we have high expectations.

Fwiw, Warrington fans are generally fine, though clearly there is a growing element of divs who want to cause trouble following the club for whatever reason. I believe there is a name for their block in the Halliwell Jones.

With football  becoming the dominant sport I. The city with the advent of the Revie era and demise of Hunzlet and Bramley it was adopted as the unofficial anthem for the city . I used to work at The university of Leeds and I've heard the teams of their various sports sing it . The only Leeds United fans who object to Leeds Rhinos singing MOT  are out of town fans and Hunslet rl / Leeds United fans . I'm an old school Leeds rlfc fan and I still regard our traditional anthem as "Keep Right on to the end of the Road " 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

14 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

That's an escalation, you've said all Headingley does is boo and now its unsafe 😂

If you find that song morally offensive you need to stop being so precious dear. Though I suspect having gone to Elland Road as you say you have, then you will have heard worse - after every opposition goal kick alone for example. Literally millions of kids have learned swear words at sports games - its almost a right of passage.

I watched Leeds win an actual Super League final against Warrington, as well of plenty of League games, but who is counting dear? We don't need to count wins because being the successful club we are we have high expectations.

Fwiw, Warrington fans are generally fine, though clearly there is a growing element of divs who want to cause trouble following the club for whatever reason. I believe there is a name for their block in the Halliwell Jones.

Ok mate, no probs 👍

Stand by for an influx of fans singing MOT at Headingley from end of May after LUFC are relegated,  now a definite possibility,  and Rhinos become Loiners numero uno again.

8 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Stand by for an influx of fans singing MOT at Headingley from end of May after LUFC are relegated,  now a definite possibility,  and Rhinos become Loiners numero uno again.

Fingers crossed! Well, not bothered about them coming to Headingley but seeing Holbeck's unfortunate soccer offspring relegated would be funny.

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

Can't wait, the most annoying band and even more annoying fans singing the most annoying dirge of a song every week on skysportsrhinos, worse bit is that horrid 'eys eys eys' noise they do at the end.

Archived