North Wales v Hunslet (Challenge Cup 4th round) to be played at Caldy RUFC on the Wirral

fearnowt

Announced earlier this evening.

Due to Eirias Park being unavailable next weekend, the game will be played at Caldy RUFC, on the Wirral peninsula, on Saturday with a 2pm kick off.

Disappointed we can't find a venue in North Wales, but sounds like it's not for the want of trying.

https://northwalescrusaders.com/2022/02/20/details-confirmed-for-crusaders-challenge-cup-tie-with-hunslet/

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

https://www.nwcrusaders.co.uk/

25 minutes ago, Jughead said:

No official club travel is odd. 

I understand that travel will be arranged.

I am assuming that the fixture has only just been confirmed, with it only being announced this evening, so the bus can only be booked tomorrow at the earliest. I've had an email from the supporters club advising to keep an eye on the club's social media for news about travel to the game.

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

2 hours ago, fearnowt said:

Announced earlier this evening.

Due to Eirias Park being unavailable next weekend, the game will be played at Caldy RUFC, on the Wirral peninsula, on Saturday with a 2pm kick off.

Disappointed we can't find a venue in North Wales, but sounds like it's not for the want of trying.

https://northwalescrusaders.com/2022/02/20/details-confirmed-for-crusaders-challenge-cup-tie-with-hunslet/

Is the 2pm kick off because Caldy have no floodlights?

I see the website still has 5.30pm as the kick off time for all home league games, which I think will put some people off. It's certainly going to stop me going this season sadly, apart from the opener against Cornwall which I'll make a special effort for as it will be their first ever competitive game. 

Looks a neat little ground on the Caldy RUFC website. Given that it looks like there's no covered area, hope that the weather's going to be a bit better than it is here in Oswestry today! As far as I can make out it's off the A540 between Heswall and West Kirby. Hope that the club puts up directions to the ground on the website.

23 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Is the 2pm kick off because Caldy have no floodlights?

I see the website still has 5.30pm as the kick off time for all home league games, which I think will put some people off. It's certainly going to stop me going this season sadly, apart from the opener against Cornwall which I'll make a special effort for as it will be their first ever competitive game. 

I think you might be right about the reason for the 2pm kick off, although there is a game being shown live in the clubhouse at 4:45 which may be of interest to followers of the other code.🤔

As for the 5:30pm kick off times, they are not cast in stone and will most likely be subject to change. At a recent fans forum, our CEO Andy Mouldsdale hinted that games early in the season and at the end of the season may be played on Sundays, with some games in the middle of the season played on Saturdays to see how it goes. Personally, the more I speak to people and hear their opinions, the more I think we should just stick to Sundays.

In any case, like yourself I'm not a fan of the 5:30 kick off time either.

22 hours ago, daz39 said:

Surely there's a free sports venue somewhere in the North of Wales? it's a fairly big place is it not?

There are now several football grounds in North Wales which would comfortably be up to league 1 standard, if only their artificial pitches complied with rugby standards.

I believe there is an agreement in England between the FA, RFU and RFL for all artificial pitches to be of a standard acceptable for all three codes, unfortunately this does not appear to be the case in Wales, so artificial soccer pitches are not laid with rugby in mind.

I am certain that every effort has been made to find a venue in North Wales, before finding somewhere that is at least not too far over the border. So far, we have had nothing but good news about Eirias Park, but there is always a catch or disadvantage to be found somewhere, and we have stumbled across it this week with the stadium being unavailable. I think I'm right in saying this will be our seventh ground used for competitive home games in the last ten years.

6 minutes ago, fearnowt said:

There are now several football grounds in North Wales which would comfortably be up to league 1 standard, if only their artificial pitches complied with rugby standards.

I believe there is an agreement in England between the FA, RFU and RFL for all artificial pitches to be of a standard acceptable for all three codes, unfortunately this does not appear to be the case in Wales, so artificial soccer pitches are not laid with rugby in mind.

I am certain that every effort has been made to find a venue in North Wales, before finding somewhere that is at least not too far over the border. So far, we have had nothing but good news about Eirias Park, but there is always a catch or disadvantage to be found somewhere, and we have stumbled across it this week with the stadium being unavailable. I think I'm right in saying this will be our seventh ground used for competitive home games in the last ten years.

Think I’m missing one

Been to Colwyn Bay, Chester, Conan’s Quay and the 2 in Wrexham and hopefully Caley. Where have I missed?

14 hours ago, groundhopper said:

Think I’m missing one

Been to Colwyn Bay, Chester, Conan’s Quay and the 2 in Wrexham and hopefully Caley. Where have I missed?

Wilderspool.

Challenge Cup 3rd round 2013. Cru v West Hull.

When the draw was made, West Hull were the home team, but the club's then agreed to switch (not sure why, but I think West Hull were unable to host the game).

The football club objected to the game being played at the Racecourse, so it was played at Wilderspool.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/02/2022 at 21:40, TheFlash said:

Sounds ridiculous. The sort of place a lower-level BARLA club would play out of. 

I played at caldy twice

Lots of millionaires in the club house 

But its a long way off being acceptable for professional or semi professional rugby league 

Archived