COULD SKY PULL THE PLUG

newbe

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did think last week some people were very premature in their criticism after one week of Channel 4.

The whole team work hard and some of the criticism did seem very personal.

I don't want to get into arguments about it, but I wouldn't want to see commentators such as JJB, Terry or Barry get a false impression from a handful of posters. 

4 minutes ago, Niels said:

I did think last week some people were very premature in their criticism after one week of Channel 4.

The whole team work hard and some of the criticism did seem very personal.

I don't want to get into arguments about it, but I wouldn't want to see commentators such as JJB, Terry or Barry get a false impression from a handful of posters. 

I must admit I find it a chore to listen to the constant patter between too many voices on Sky’s commentary.

Rarely do find much of it insightful and they often labour discussions to the point where they fall behind the action on the pitch.

To be quite frank, a fast moving sport doesn’t require so many voices in the commentary - I’d rather Sky focused on developing one or two co-commentators and run two man/woman commentary teams.

That could well incorporate Baz, Tez, Phil Clarke or Jon Wilkin, just not simultaneously.  We’re all here for the action on the pitch and I don’t believe this oral clutter is necessary.

Was nice to listen to a commentator and occasionally a co-commentator on Ch4 as opposed to what sounds like 6 mates in a pub all shouting over one another with cliches, and their drunk friend who's had way too much and can't get his words out.

I doubt Sky would pull the plug, nor would SuperLeague allow the conditions arise where that could be an issue. Their money is too important to the game and I suspect that no other broadcaster is likely (or able..or willing) to come up with the money to replace Sky. 

Its great to have C4 on board with our game and if that spurs Sky and the BBC to do better, that's great. What happens, though, when the honeymoon is over and the forum's tiny but shouty anti-Sky posse falls out of love with C4?

Sure, Sky could do better, (the promotion of their upcoming games could be far better, in my view) , ditto the BBC.  Pulling the plug, though. Wishful thinking  by some, I feel.

There does seem to be an odd belief around (shared by one or two journalists) that Sky make their business decisions based on what folk say on Twitter and TotalRL. Lots of imploring not to make it about Channel 4 v Sky, remember how much Sky have done for us etc.

I think this is a symptom of how servile we feel in RL sometimes. Whereas other big sports weigh up how to sell their products to the highest bidder, we are just desperate for someone, anyone, to give us a few quid.

Whether Sky pull the plug or not will be completely dependent on how many eyes there are on their coverage each week and therefore how much advertising revenue and how many subscriptions rugby league pulls in. I hope that continues to be plenty, but I also hope the Channel 4 deal alerts a few other broadcasters to the potential of our game so that Sky need to fight to keep us - not the other way around.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

34 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

There does seem to be an odd belief around (shared by one or two journalists) that Sky make their business decisions based on what folk say on Twitter and TotalRL. Lots of imploring not to make it about Channel 4 v Sky, remember how much Sky have done for us etc.

If broadcasters ran away from sports because people said mean things about them on the internet then ...

... well, I mean, you just need to have a think for a nanosecond about it to realise what a ridiculous idea it is.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

First rule of business, know your market/customers and competition, any source of information is good.

I know that, but obscure forums with anonymous keyboard warriors ranting won’t be of great interest to them, they have better ways of conducting market research. 

I'm not sure why some are trying to push the angle that Sky is only getting criticised after a week of C4 and its because C4 is a novelty. This plainly isn't true and is very disgenueous.

Sky have been criticised for years on here and throughout social media for the quality of their RL presentation. For some C4s coverage has merely shown up Sky's failings even further. The addition of Wilkin and JJB shows to me that Sky realise they need to improve and are aware of that. Whether these two will do that or make things worse is for a different debate. I honestly can't see people saying any different than they said months or years ago.

I think people need to be less precious of these things. Some on here will have paid many thousands to Sky over the years and as Sky customers have every right to offer constructive criticism or complain. Just as they would about any other service they pay for. RL's relationship with Sky is very much two way, yes RL gets a lot of money from Sky but Sky also get an awful lot from showing RL. Lets face it Sky are not a charity and area money making business and if they didn't get anything out of showing RL then they wouldn't show it, simple as that.

47 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I know that, but obscure forums with anonymous keyboard warriors ranting won’t be of great interest to them, they have better ways of conducting market research. 

I agree with you. 

Balanced and constructive criticism is perfectly acceptable.

But ranting and constantly sneering at those who do enjoy it isn't helpful for the game and undermines any point being made. 

True. Sky has been criticized on here for years.  The thing to remember is that Rupert Murdoch is no longer involved.

The BBC has also be criticised on here for years. Its been seen as a rugby union mouthpiece.

Premier Sports has not been free of criticism on here either.

Now C4 comes along to save the world. Channel 4, although in effect state owned, depends on advertising money. If the sums don't add up and broadcasting SL does not pay its share, then C4 might well pull the plug.

34 minutes ago, newbe said:

Ch4 viewing figures are much higher on  than Skys, for a fraction of money Sky put in. Financially they might have a rethink.

I hope they don't catch on to Match of the Day; they will just drop Super Sunday and do a Saturday night football highlights package instead. Bish bash bosh.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I think the value of the Sky contract has bottomed out now - even on a conservative guess of how many subs and other revenues it drives it offers Sky good value when compared to its other rights deals. 

Providing we can use the C4 deal and the World Cup to stabilise - and hopefully increase - interest in the sport, then I think we can be confident Sky will stick around for a while yet. 

The very phrase "pull the plug" is both insecure and ridiculous.

Our relationship with Sky is a business one. We sell our TV rights for a lot on money because they are valuable. Sky pay a lot of money for them because the eyeballs watching have a lot on value to them. If that stops being the case then we will have a problem. But it isn't so they won't. And criticism on social media will have nothing to do with it either way.

51 minutes ago, JohnM said:

True. Sky has been criticized on here for years.  The thing to remember is that Rupert Murdoch is no longer involved.

The BBC has also be criticised on here for years. Its been seen as a rugby union mouthpiece.

Premier Sports has not been free of criticism on here either.

Now C4 comes along to save the world. 

Looking at these in turn.

I am not a Sky knocker, never have been and hate the Super Dooper League nonsense some come out with. Sky money is vital for the game and no matter how some may not like it it props the entire professional pyramid up. That doesn't mean its coverage and presentation can't be improved and that it can't push the sport more across its platforms. I'm happy with the amount of games it shows but I certainly feel that it can it's overall input can be improved and their has been a laziness about their coverage for a number of years. Some of the promotional push we have seen from C4 wouldn't go amiss.

Criticism with the BBC is probably intertwined with a sense of the broadcaster having an obligation due to the license fee. More so when huge sums go to RU. As is I think the BBC often get a poor selection of games in front of poor crowds and few internationals. They don't really have much to work with and do the best they can and their presentation has improved immeasurably over the years.

Premier Sports was terrible quality the first time around. Cheap and cheerful, which in a way was good because it meant they simply showed the NRL stuff in full. Second time around its a completely different beast, with much superior picture quality and their coverage and presentation have been good so far.

Im not going to repeat myself from the C4 thread but the best thing about C4 has been great promotion of the sport across its platforms. That has caused the positivity towards it. It's commentary has been good and it has had a good choice of pundits so far in a clear and uncluttered lineup. It's a simple format that works.

For me the thing I have always wanted from the C4 coverage is for competition to raise the standard of Sky's coverage. I've never thought it feasible that the game can just do away with Sky.

13 hours ago, newbe said:

With all the positivity around except for Sky, and the reduce deal in place. Do SKY need the negative publicity. If they did pull  the plug what harm what it do for the game?

If they pulled the plug probably over half the SL teams would go bust and the game would go back to been mainly part time. Other than that I see it having little affect.

Archived