Why do RL coaches watch from the stand

Premier League football managers all seem to be on the touchline. RL coaches now all watch from a higher vantage point.

Any reason for the difference. I'm not into football, but as a game there's action across the pitch and a pass can go 30/40/50 metres up the pitch in a second or too, so you'd think they'd have as more reason to be high up as RL coaches if they want to see pattern of play 

Just interested in any views.

Not sure but I think it is a good thing. It means we don't see coaches shouting and remonstrating at the referees, or at least not from a position where they can get up in the ref's face.

The downside is those lingering, unnecessary camera shots of the coach looking grumpy, happy or even nonplussed when the TV production should be focused on the rugby.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

in RL coaches sitting in the stands is obviously to get a greater vantage point so they can clearly see what is going on. I think it was in the 90s when this trend started to develop. I think RL being quite structured, basically 2 lines continually facing each other, and regimented lends itself well to this and you can see a lot high up that you would miss close to the pitch.

Football if a lot more ad hoc with movement all over the pitch. I'm guessing being close to the pitch allows a manager to more quickly react to situations and make tactical changes and to communicate with players as needed.

In football the fourth official is by the touchline so managers can't yell at them if they are in the stands. It's also easier for people to spot their pointless yelling and gesticulations while they are on the touchline which makes it look like they are actually doing something.

14 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

In football the fourth official is by the touchline so managers can't yell at them if they are in the stands. It's also easier for people to spot their pointless yelling and gesticulations while they are on the touchline which makes it look like they are actually doing something.

Are you implying that, in Rugby League, the fourth official is in the stand ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

9 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

RU coaches sit in the stands too - I think its a perspective/vantage point thing.

Do we have a "technical area"? Not that many football coaches take notice anyway.

That’s so they can have a kip whilst the fat lads are rolling around the pitch.

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Football managers and coaches bark instructions at their players practically on a play-by-play basis. Go here, run there, do this, do that. Can’t see how it could work in RL.

Always bemuses me . They stand behind players giving instructions as they’re taking a throw in

If a rugby league coach (in the 'Gods') is in direct contact with an assistant (on the touchline), I'd say he's got the best of both worlds.

What spectator in their right mind would choose to have a worm's eye view of the match? Some do. Why?

Back in the Eighties, when I reported on rugby league, I remember being surprised when the then-coach at Oldham joined us in the Watersheddings press box, located on the back row of the main stand. I was sitting at the end of the row. "Is there room for me?" he asked (I was covering the away team therefore unknown to him). "I can't see anything from down there." As I recall, he was one of the early 'clipboard' coaches.

Watch (association) football from anywhere near a technical area, and you soon realise managers spend 90 minutes shouting complete nonsense at their players. When they're not doing that, they're verbally abusing - i.e. intimidating - the match officials. 

22 hours ago, DavidM said:

They do it to get all the sponsored water bottles on camera

You know, I had a rant about this on opening night, it's bizarre that players have to have tape on the branding of their head gear (and other gear in the past) but there's a loooooot of advertising time for whatever brand of water or sports drink certain coaches have.

29 minutes ago, RL Sonja said:

Wayne Bennett used to swear by watching high up behind the posts.

I can understand why he'd do that. The pattern of play - attack and defence - is easier to follow viewed head on. Although it's much less interesting - less surprising, maybe - than the view from the side. I rarely watch from behind the posts!

Archived