Newcastle Cup game.

spanishknight

1 hour ago, Hopping Mad said:

As an occasional attender of York home games (maybe four a season), I fancied the Newcastle tie when the draw was made. But then I heard York planned to field several squad players and Newcastle were missing nine regulars. That's not twenty quid's worth, in my book. Plus, as somebody else above said, the thought of spending 80 minutes squinting into a low winter sun, because the stadium was built the wrong way round, didn't seem like fun. Enjoyed my (free) walk, mind.

Interesting points , agree 20 quid was too much , a few club's charged 10 to 15 for this stage of the cup , probably that's why so many were absent ?.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Fenton Knight said:

Traditionally cup games are lower as they are all pay with little away support. That said, Dewsbury got c2500 yesterday at home to Widnes who brought a large and vocal following. Think we can expect in the region of 4,000 for that in a couple of weeks time.

?

1 hour ago, georgeb1 said:

Interesting points , agree 20 quid was too much , a few club's charged 10 to 15 for this stage of the cup , probably that's why so many were absent ?.

Presume the players don't take a pay cut for playing a cup game and don't forget you got a free cinema ticket included in the match ticket and also under 16's got in free.

10 hours ago, DEANO said:

They’ll all come out of the woodwork if we get someone like Leeds at home

That's the problem mate they will , how do we get a decent attendance to watch a decent team week in week out?

53 minutes ago, georgeb1 said:

That's the problem mate they will , how do we get a decent attendance to watch a decent team week in week out?

Win enough games to enable us to be playing the likes of Leeds & Cas every week should do the job. 

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

On 28/02/2022 at 14:34, Hopping Mad said:

As an occasional attender of York home games (maybe four a season), I fancied the Newcastle tie when the draw was made. But then I heard York planned to field several squad players and Newcastle were missing nine regulars. That's not twenty quid's worth, in my book. Plus, as somebody else above said, the thought of spending 80 minutes squinting into a low winter sun, because the stadium was built the wrong way round, didn't seem like fun. Enjoyed my (free) walk, mind.

Behave , the business end  of the stadium had to be built backing on to Vangarde , your way it would back onto an open field. It is more than just a RL/Footy stadium , housing NHS treatments facilities over most of the first floor and Knights / City offices , cafe , swimming pool , gym and kids activity centre ALL overlooking Vangarde as it should be. As Gav said bring your shades in the winter months.

7 minutes ago, Stirlin said:

Behave , the business end  of the stadium had to be built backing on to Vangarde , your way it would back onto an open field. It is more than just a RL/Footy stadium , housing NHS treatments facilities over most of the first floor and Knights / City offices , cafe , swimming pool , gym and kids activity centre ALL overlooking Vangarde as it should be. As Gav said bring your shades in the winter months.

I take your point. It's just traditional, in stadium design, for the main stand to be on the west side - so those paying the most have the sun at their backs for afternoon kick-offs (as at Clarence Street/Wigginton Road, of course). Huntington Stadium was also built the 'wrong way round'. Possibly for the same reason. The funder - Ryedale District Council, I assume - didn't want the main stand backing on to an open field. Swings and roundabouts.

17 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

I take your point. It's just traditional, in stadium design, for the main stand to be on the west side - so those paying the most have the sun at their backs for afternoon kick-offs (as at Clarence Street/Wigginton Road, of course). Huntington Stadium was also built the 'wrong way round'. Possibly for the same reason. The funder - Ryedale District Council, I assume - didn't want the main stand backing on to an open field. Swings and roundabouts.

Yeah but we get some good sunset photos.

I reckon the Knights should start doing branded sunglasses and give them out at games.

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Getting back to the rugby, when we got Newcastle at the Summer Bash then got them in the cup, what with all the hype of them being a full-time squad and supposed to have signed a load of top players, I were thinking the worst, how wrong was I, I reckon we could beat them 3 out of the 4 or even all 4 times.

11 hours ago, georgeb1 said:

The part timers will only watch a winning team, same with ycfc. Consistency on the pitch will help. Watching the second half against Leigh wouldn't encourage anyone to come back, watching away at Batley, or against Newcastle helps.

1 hour ago, spanishknight said:

Getting back to the rugby, when we got Newcastle at the Summer Bash then got them in the cup, what with all the hype of them being a full-time squad and supposed to have signed a load of top players, I were thinking the worst, how wrong was I, I reckon we could beat them 3 out of the 4 or even all 4 times.

Don't forget john they had reportedly 9 first choice players missing Sunday , but I hope you're correct .

3 hours ago, spanishknight said:

It is all hype S signed players from  SL clubs but most been out on loam only Alex foster played regularly in SL and they had nine new signings playing sunday

2 hours ago, georgeb1 said:

Don't forget john they had reportedly 9 first choice players missing Sunday , but I hope you're correct .

A little white  lie G  they only have a squad of 23  so nine missing ❓

4 hours ago, spanishknight said:

Aye and their top try scorer Kieran Gill over the last few seasons , Bradford signed him  , scored a hat trick Sunday , maybe Mr Kear made him an offer he could not refuse like Scotty , but the point is if you are going full time shirley you will do your best to keep hold of your best players.

We might even get them in the playoffs SK , assuming we both make the top six.

14 hours ago, georgeb1 said:

A choice of east or west stands would be the simple solution , surely ?.

yep agree totally. this thread is a mix of "why did so few people turn up?" and "if its sunny wear sunglasses". the 'leisure pound' is a thing we have to fight hard for. a take it or leave it attitude from those in high places will result in people leaving it. things such as cost of parking, cant pay cash at the turnstile, gettin wet when it rains, no shelter from the wind, cant see the match when the suns out, jobsworth stewarding... all affect attendance.

1 hour ago, Nearenough said:

yep agree totally. this thread is a mix of "why did so few people turn up?" and "if its sunny wear sunglasses". the 'leisure pound' is a thing we have to fight hard for. a take it or leave it attitude from those in high places will result in people leaving it. things such as cost of parking, cant pay cash at the turnstile, gettin wet when it rains, no shelter from the wind, cant see the match when the suns out, jobsworth stewarding... all affect attendance.

They should give out branded ponchos as well like what you get at Mingo Land for the log flumes.

On 01/03/2022 at 22:09, POR said:

It is all hype S signed players from  SL clubs but most been out on loam only Alex foster played regularly in SL and they had nine new signings playing sunday

A little white  lie G  they only have a squad of 23  so nine missing ❓

Looking at shirt numbers it looked like they were missing 3,4,10,11,12. So their centres and second row plus prop. Now I don’t know how good these guys are but the team they put out looked undersized and very young. Nothing wrong with youth, but you usually need a few old heads. I was expecting a lot more from them. Currently, as expected, it appears Fev and Leigh are streets ahead of the rest. 

3 hours ago, Fax Knight said:

Looking at shirt numbers it looked like they were missing 3,4,10,11,12. So their centres and second row plus prop. Now I don’t know how good these guys are but the team they put out looked undersized and very young. Nothing wrong with youth, but you usually need a few old heads. I was expecting a lot more from them. Currently, as expected, it appears Fev and Leigh are streets ahead of the rest. 

Didn't we have both our wingers missing plus our centre as well as the odd forward  rugby league is a squad game not just 17, every club in every game are going to have players missing you can't play all 23 of your squad.

Archived