Indigenous and Maori to tour Europe

6 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I have a ground breaking idea for Rugby League. 

Let's take all players eligible to play for Australia, not just the indigenous players, group them together into a team and call that team 'Australia'.  They could play other nations who select players eligible to play for their nations.

We could even give them a nickname to make it catchy and help the marketing people.  My vote is for 'Kangaroos'.

This is a great idea mate.

I love the idea of getting them to play other teams selected from other nations best players too.

I also love the nickname you've chosen, it's a very catchy nic indeed. 

The only potential ''fly in the ointment'' is that the f......rs don't want to come! 

14 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

An interesting discussion is taking place on the Aus forum. I thought I would bring it over to the main forum to get wider opinion.

Laurie Daley thinks it would be a good idea for the Indigenous team to tour.

I agree. I think touring Indigenous and Maori teams could add a whole new level of marketability for representative RL fixtures in Europe. Coupled with some culture exhibitions leading up to a fixture, I really think the idea should be explored further.

I welcome any positive news for our game

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/one-australian-team-not-two-but-daley-backs-indigenous-tours-20220211-p59vrp.html

14 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

An interesting discussion is taking place on the Aus forum. I thought I would bring it over to the main forum to get wider opinion.

Laurie Daley thinks it would be a good idea for the Indigenous team to tour.

I agree. I think touring Indigenous and Maori teams could add a whole new level of marketability for representative RL fixtures in Europe. Coupled with some culture exhibitions leading up to a fixture, I really think the idea should be explored further.

Definitely not, this is an attempt by the convicts to downplay our European league. Its to try and market us as a second rate comp with second rate international teams.

Its full international teams or nothing ( unless they are going to play the celtic whoevers or Cumbria, Lancashire and yorkshire)

9 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I have a ground breaking idea for Rugby League. 

Let's take all players eligible to play for Australia, not just the indigenous players, group them together into a team and call that team 'Australia'.  They could play other nations who select players eligible to play for their nations.

We could even give them a nickname to make it catchy and help the marketing people.  My vote is for 'Kangaroos'.

Your idea has been shot to pieces. Aussie have shown they are not interested in touring the UK, so settle for the Indigenous from both Aussie and NZ. A game between those  could be  a crowd pleaser but on the other hand could show how dull the game has become in the UK.

19 hours ago, fighting irish said:

You're not nervous about an embarrassing result, if they played England are you? Lol.

The tour should be organised to maximise exposure, maximise income (and ensure it's repeatability) but games against the France, the Celtic home nations and Jamaica perhaps, would be good vehicles for development.

The biggest money spinner though would likely be a game (or two) against England, so might prove to be a necessity.

I would love to have them tour, they are such a flamboyant and colourful addition to our game.

The National side should be doing this.

If an indigenous player is good enough they will be selected for the Kangaroos. Simple.

MIsleading headline with no tour in place.

As I recall an Indigenous team the Yowies did play London Broncos pre-season around 2016 IIRC and I also remember being at a BARLA Select XIII v Australian Aboriginals match at Riochdale in the early 2000's.

So this not anything new.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

IMO England should be scheduling in 4+ (6+ is the preferable minimum) matches every non-World Cup year, with a minimum of 2 being played in a UK friendly time zone.

This would see the National team playing against other national teams, whilst also allowing for them to take on a Combined Nations, Indigenous or Maori All Stars team.

Now whether the Indigenous or Maori teams should be touring, for me I don't have any issue with it, provided that its not in place on proper tests / Internationals. Both teams attract high quality talent and offer something a bit different which would gain some much needed media attention in a number of European countries. 

In the other Rugby, the Māori All Blacks are happy to tour the Pacific and Americas and draw some good crowds doing it.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

Archived