Developing players at big clubs

Ash Hope

Can anyone think of any professional clubs who have trialled players from obscure nations?

There was a Russian at Wests Tigers

Salford once trialled a Palestinian and Hull FC also trialled two players from there too

St Helens trialled a Latvian and currently have an Albanian in their Academy

Then two Serbians at Warrington Wolves

Can anyone think of any more?

Rugby League World writer

Twitter: @a_hope14
Mobile: iPhone 3

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

warrington had a canadian/american kid playing for our academy about ten years back, think he was ex union though

Taylor Welch? 

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

Saints had Ian Cross and another Irish born player probably fifteen years ago, Regan Grace and Calvin Wellington both come from South Wales, Levy Nzoungo played for the Academy and I remember them trialling a Frenchman in the late nineties but I can’t remember a name. 

5 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Saints had Ian Cross and another Irish born player probably fifteen years ago, Regan Grace and Calvin Wellington both come from South Wales, Levy Nzoungo played for the Academy and I remember them trialling a Frenchman in the late nineties but I can’t remember a name. 

Damn I wish people knew names there's such an interesting article in this. Ian Cross is an absolute shout!

At Fax we have had a number of Tongans, Samoans, Welsh, and Scottish players. Obviously we are the club credited with starting the Aussie invasion and I believe at one point we had a starting line up made entirely of overseas players. I think we may have been one of the first teams to bring a group of French players over here with Eric Anselme, Jerome Guisset and Laurent Frayssinous coming over and playing for our reserve team. I think Anselme was the only one of the 3 to make a first team appearence. I also believe, but not 100% sure, that Abi Ekoku may be Nigerian.

Nearly forgot 2 Scoops playing for Keighley. Was he American?

21 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

At Fax we have had a number of Tongans, Samoans, Welsh, and Scottish players. Obviously we are the club credited with starting the Aussie invasion and I believe at one point we had a starting line up made entirely of overseas players. I think we may have been one of the first teams to bring a group of French players over here with Eric Anselme, Jerome Guisset and Laurent Frayssinous coming over and playing for our reserve team. I think Anselme was the only one of the 3 to make a first team appearence. I also believe, but not 100% sure, that Abi Ekoku may be Nigerian.

Nearly forgot 2 Scoops playing for Keighley. Was he American?

He was American yeah, there's been a few American football converts in times gone by. Keighley had three Canadians on trial more recently too

2 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Didn’t Whitehaven have a Serbian about five years ago?

London Skolars have a player, Abevia McDonald, who played back in Jamaica before coming here. I’m sure they had a Wayne Kerr or Wayne King (I’m being serious) too who, I think, was Irish. 

Soni Radovanovic was at Whitehaven yeah. Skolars have had loads, there's a Georgian, Algerian and Ghanaian in their squad at the minute. Coached by Mbu who is Congolese. Probably the most diverse side in Rugby League.

Archived