Ticket Prices

So I know this subject comes up in various other threads, one way or another - whether it be related to attendance figures or like last week I know there was discussion on the Channel 4 thread regarding the prices Saints fans were being charged at Hull. 

Now there's this article which looks and compares ticket prices across each RL league, so I though it was worth a thread. 

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/revealed-how-affordable-is-rugby-league/

Personally I think RL, all things considered, is a very affordable sport. That's both in terms of what I consider value for money and when compared with other sports/leisure activities and events. It has undoubtedly increased quite heavily over the past 5-10 years, compared to say the previous 10-15 but i'd say that's more to do with under pricing back then rather than overcharging now. 

N.b I did look to see a thread like this already existed, but couldn't find one. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Dallas Mead said:

Rugby League has always been a cheap sport because of its demographic, that simple.

I think you're right to an extent - certainly historically. Others i'm sure will argue that you can get some Premier League tickets and certainly Championship tickets for cheaper, which by any measure is for a more in demand sport. 

£25 being the cheapest option at a few grounds is too much for the cheapest option, IMO and over £20 for the Championship seems a bit much for the cheapest tickets. 

I’d make a slightly related argument that reciprocal prices for away fans or a cap on what clubs can charge is necessary. 

23 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

So I know this subject comes up in various other threads, one way or another - whether it be related to attendance figures or like last week I know there was discussion on the Channel 4 thread regarding the prices Saints fans were being charged at Hull. 

Now there's this article which looks and compares ticket prices across each RL league, so I though it was worth a thread. 

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/revealed-how-affordable-is-rugby-league/

Personally I think RL, all things considered, is a very affordable sport. That's both in terms of what I consider value for money and when compared with other sports/leisure activities and events. It has undoubtedly increased quite heavily over the past 5-10 years, compared to say the previous 10-15 but i'd say that's more to do with under pricing back then rather than overcharging now. 

N.b I did look to see a thread like this already existed, but couldn't find one. 

Good article thanks for sharing, one change I’d like to see is all clubs either making an agreement or being forced to at least offer away fans the cheapest available tickets they sell. For instance the article states Hull FC sell tickets at £20 but the tickets they send to away clubs to sell are priced significantly higher than this. 

It’s also interesting the 2 French clubs are the cheapest, I wonder how NRL clubs would compare in price? 

11 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Good article thanks for sharing, one change I’d like to see is all clubs either making an agreement or being forced to at least offer away fans the cheapest available tickets they sell. For instance the article states Hull FC sell tickets at £20 but the tickets they send to away clubs to sell are priced significantly higher than this. 

It’s also interesting the 2 French clubs are the cheapest, I wonder how NRL clubs would compare in price? 

Yeah I think it was you who pointed out to me this discrepancy and whilst I still think there's an argument to say they were priced the same as equivalent seating in the home end, overall i'm coming round to the idea it should be in line with cheapest option available to home fans = away pricing.  This is in line with Jughead's suggestion too. 

17 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I’d make a slightly related argument that reciprocal prices for away fans or a cap on what clubs can charge is necessary. 

4 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Yeah I think it was you who pointed out to me this discrepancy and whilst I still think there's an argument to say they were priced the same as equivalent seating in the home end, overall i'm coming round to the idea it should be in line with cheapest option available to home fans = away pricing.  This is in line with Jughead's suggestion too. 

To keep the Hull example, if you pursued that then you would end up offering away fans a better deal than home fans.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Looking at the World Cup ticket prices are significantly higher than club games or the previous Internationals and World Cups staged in this country. I will still go to the big games but will limit the number of group games I go to and attend less of these than I did in 2013, unless the old discount codes pop up of course. Hopefully the tournament can still get decent attendance figures and the tournament makes a big profit for the sport.

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

To keep the Hull example, if you pursued that then you would end up offering away fans a better deal than home fans.

That’s no bad thing imo, it’s more of an effort for away fans to attend, they add to the match day atmosphere for home fans and most home fans are on better value season tickets anyway. Alternatively put the away fans in a cheaper stand/area.

This is completely subjective but i've always felt £16-£20 to be reasonable for a Championship game and £20-£24 for Super League. I know some see it as a measure of the sports value if you can sell out stadiums at a ridiculous price but I think it's more important that working class families should be able to watch their local team whether that's Manchester United or Featherstone Rovers.

12 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Agreed and that was my initial opinion. On reflection away fans get their 'area' dictated to them, so I do understand why there's calls to have pricing in line with cheapest home option - notwithstanding the other costs associated with away days. I'm sure most clubs rely on a decent away following to an extent, so anything that can help both seems sensible to me. 

I think our individual club games can sometimes be a bit on the pricey side, all things considered, though paradoxically our event games are very affordable.

We also have a big season ticket culture in British RL now, certainly in Super League.

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

£25 being the cheapest option at a few grounds is too much for the cheapest option, IMO and over £20 for the Championship seems a bit much for the cheapest tickets. 

Featherstone and other clubs are doing an offer to season ticket holders of £10 entry and visa versa.

Bradford, Dewsbury, Workington,Whitehaven and Barrow.

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

I disagree, those prices represent fair value for 2 hours entertainment. Any cheaper and it devalues our product

I think pricing is complex and for some games it quite expensive when you consider some of the competition for other events. 

For example, Champions League Football group stages at Man City see adult prices start at £15, whilst Champions League games have a much higher starting price. 

I think it's a tough one to see some SL games starting at prices 30 to 40% higher than that, but I suppose clubs have to charge an amount that pays the bills. 

I do think there is an argument for lower at the bottom, higher at the top. 

2 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I think you're right to an extent - certainly historically. Others i'm sure will argue that you can get some Premier League tickets and certainly Championship tickets for cheaper, which by any measure is for a more in demand sport. 

Premier league tickets are expensive (for example I’m paying £55 to sit in the main stand at anfield tonight) but the demographic has more disposable income and much more importantly there are people literally queuing around the block to pay said prices.  Supply and demand is a massive factor.  When was the last time wire, saints, or anyone actually sold out a home game?  Let alone have a waiting list!

10 minutes ago, Dallas Mead said:

When was the last time wire, saints, or anyone actually sold out a home game? 

Cas, less than 2 weeks ago, as it happens. But you are of course correct in the general case.

Dewsbury charged £10 on Monday night and had a crowd over 1000 higher than their previous home game. Hard to tell how much the reduced price contributed to the increased attendance and whether it actually brought in more money.

Seems to me there are plenty of people prepared to spend £20+ on beer, fizzy drinks, poor quality pies/ burgers, snacks etc. once inside the ground. And plenty prepared to spend similar sums on actually getting to the game, and others prepared to pay considerably more to buy replica jerseys, hats etc.

I don't think clubs have experimented very much on segmenting the audience. Would people pay a premium to sit in a stand where people bring food and drink to your seat like in American sports, for example?

Season tickets are generally good value and the take up is probably as high as it has been for a number of years.

Where the game misses out is the punters who decide to go at short notice and are probably put off by the prices.

When Sunday was the main game day in the 80's and 90's many would make a late decision to go to a game and it was easier to get access to the ground by paying your "fiver" over the turnstiles.

The decline in the pub culture nearer our grounds has also had a big effect.

6 minutes ago, JonM said:

Cas, less than 2 weeks ago, as it happens. But you are of course correct in the general case.

Dewsbury charged £10 on Monday night and had a crowd over 1000 higher than their previous home game. Hard to tell how much the reduced price contributed to the increased attendance and whether it actually brought in more money.

Seems to me there are plenty of people prepared to spend £20+ on beer, fizzy drinks, poor quality pies/ burgers, snacks etc. once inside the ground. And plenty prepared to spend similar sums on actually getting to the game, and others prepared to pay considerably more to buy replica jerseys, hats etc.

I don't think clubs have experimented very much on segmenting the audience. Would people pay a premium to sit in a stand where people bring food and drink to your seat like in American sports, for example?

Yep British sport is still in the dark ages. Everyone trying frantically buy a beer in a crappy concourse bar in 15 mins at HT still only serve crappy frozen chips and microwave pies.

37 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think pricing is complex and for some games it quite expensive when you consider some of the competition for other events. 

For example, Champions League Football group stages at Man City see adult prices start at £15, whilst Champions League games have a much higher starting price. 

I think it's a tough one to see some SL games starting at prices 30 to 40% higher than that, but I suppose clubs have to charge an amount that pays the bills. 

I do think there is an argument for lower at the bottom, higher at the top. 

I don't think Man City is a fair comparison. They are desperate to be seen as one of the big boys and get better crowds and can easily subsidise any loss. 

24 minutes ago, bamfordsbeans said:

Where the game misses out is the punters who decide to go at short notice and are probably put off by the prices.

Couldn't agree more! If anything matchday pricing should be cheaper not more expensive, especially when it's quite clear on said matchday you're going to say 30% below capacity. That isn't unfair to anyone in my opinion. 

27 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Couldn't agree more! If anything matchday pricing should be cheaper not more expensive, especially when it's quite clear on said matchday you're going to say 30% below capacity. That isn't unfair to anyone in my opinion. 

I dunno, I don't like advertising matchdays as cheaper

Archived