Thur 24th Feb: SL: Leeds Rhinos v Catalans Dragons KO 8pm (Sky)

Who will win?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos
    • Catalans Dragons

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/02/22 at 20:30

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McMeeken put in a very good shift in the middle, if he manages to repeat last seasons strong form this year surely he's not a bad shout for that third forward slot on England's bench.

I've said it before but Jullien is far too good to not be playing SL every week, gets his first chance only when Catalan have 4 forwards + Mourgue on the bench injured. Would be ideal for TO as he's light years ahead of Dixon and Bretherton.

11 minutes ago, UTK said:

McMeeken put in a very good shift in the middle, if he manages to repeat last seasons strong form this year surely he's not a bad shout for that third forward slot on England's bench.

I've said it before but Jullien is far too good to not be playing SL every week, gets his first chance only when Catalan have 4 forwards + Mourgue on the bench injured. Would be ideal for TO as he's light years ahead of Dixon and Bretherton.

Couple of good points there 👍🏾

9 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

Drinkwater having a (another) nightmare.

I didn't watch the game, but then again I don't have to imagine how Drinkwater play's, I told you all about him after his couple of seasons at Leigh but in good old forum fashion a player has a couple of half decent games and he is suddenly elevated to a 'great', is there a worse half in SL? maybe after reading the comments Austin and Sezer are of the same ilk.

7 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

Question for Leeds fans. Tom Briscoe? Why the move to centre? Is it out of loyalty to someone who’s served you so well but isn’t going to get a spot on the wing. 

Tom Briscoe is not the player he was, hence his demotion in squad number to 20 (from 2 last year I believe). Handley and Fusitu’a are our first choice wings, young Tindall looks really good and may now be ahead of Briscoe for selection on the wing. Newman and Sutcliffe are our first choice centres, Newman is injured so Briscoe is filling in. 

Tom Briscoe is out of contract at the end of this season, I would be very surprised if he is kept on beyond 2022. I expect him to be at Wakefield, Hull kr or Featherstone in 2023.

23 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

maybe after reading the comments Austin and Sezer are of the same ilk.

I thought Austin would have a stormer of a first season TBH. He has at his his previous clubs, but maybe SL clubs have worked him out a bit and his running game isn’t as effective. 

Sezer is supposed to be the little general to complement Austin and make up for his lack of playmaking. At the moment though, Leeming looks a far better option.

Too early to write Leeds off, and I’ll bet they’ll be good for a cup run. 

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

I thought McMeeken did well in the front row, he ran his size much more than he does on the edge.  I have always been frustrated with him not busting as many tackles as I think he is capable of. 

Mikolaj Oledzki had a good stint as well.  About 70 minutes and racked up 41 tackles and 130 metres.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

10 hours ago, dboy said:

Leeds given pen 3m from Dragons line.

Austin walks it back to the 10m - that's fine. (Free kick).

He should (having moved back from the mark), to play on, just tap it BUT he kicks it into touch (second phase).

That should be a scrum to non kicking team.

What time roughly?

How Taken 2. A player may take a penalty kick by punting, drop kicking, or place kicking the ball from any point on or behind the mark and equidistant from the touch line.

Find Touch from Penalty Kick 4. (a) If the ball is kicked into touch without touching any other player the kicking team shall restart play with a free kick. 

8 hours ago, WN83 said:

Leeds need their top side out there. That first choice Leeds 17 on paper looks as good as anyone bar Saints for me.

For all their pre-match "we've got loads missing" when you actually look at the first choice numbers 1-13 Leeds had a full 1st choice spine 1, 6, 7, 9 & 13 out there, but they still looked totally disorganised. Bringing back in a centre, winger and 2 2nd rowers wont reorganise their team.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

For all their pre-match "we've got loads missing" when you actually look at the first choice numbers 1-13 Leeds had a full 1st choice spine 1, 6, 7, 9 & 13 out there, but they still looked totally disorganised. Bringing back in a centre, winger and 2 2nd rowers wont reorganise their team.

Walker isnt first choice full back and Tetevano is a prop.

Weve lost 3 games, all to teams that finished above us last year, 2 of them could have gone either way.

Lets see where we are mid season.

in 2020 Saints lost 3 of their first 6 games, a lot can change over a season.

Leeds' pack looked lightweight, in the front row in particular. Loose forward was a blunt instrument, long gone are the days with forwards with goods hands, although Sam Kasiano showed a deft touch for the try.

Ash Handley was Leeds' best player but from the off Cats were the dominant side. However quality was in short supply.

FWIW it was effin freezin but me and the lad enjoyed it.

Don't know where we'll try next.

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

No but there’s just no strike there without Newman and Fusitu’a and I’d imagine Myler is their first choice fullback. You know what Bentley can bring when he’s in the right frame of mind as well and a guy like Rhyse  Martin is an important player for them and brings a running threat. 

There will be a heat on the coach at some point (if there isn’t already). I’ve always had doubts Agar can get them back to the very top. He’s probably done a similar job to what Brian Noble did with us in 2007-2009, by getting some consistency in there but we needed a new man to take us to the next level and it feels a bit like that with Leeds. The squad when fully fit us good enough imo to be finishing top 4 quite comfortably. 

3 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Walker isnt first choice full back and Tetevano is a prop.

Walker who wears the Number 1 shirt and Tetevano who wears Number 13. Last time I looked number 1 was work by the FB and number 13 by the LF. Your coach obviously considers them to be first choice otherwise he wouldn't have given them those shirt numbers.

You can try and spin it as much as you like but last night you had your numbers 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 13, 14, 15 & 17 all available. And of those missing Bentley is only out because he's a dumbass.

A few missing players isn't the reason your joint bottom of the table

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

1 minute ago, Saint Toppy said:

Walker who wears the Number 1 shirt and Tetevano who wears Number 13. Last time I looked number 1 was work by the FB and number 13 by the LF. Your coach obviously considers them to be first choice otherwise he wouldn't have given them those shirt numbers.

You can try and spin it as much as you like but last night you had your numbers 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 13, 14, 15 & 17 all available. And of those missing Bentley is only out because he's a dumbass.

A few missing players isn't the reason your joint bottom of the table

Walker is second choice full back and Tetevano is mainly a prop whatever number they have on their backs.

do you think Sam Tomkins is 1st choice at Catalans (or 29th choice?)

I never said a few missing players is the reason were 0 from 3, there’s a few factors, however naming a settled squad week in week out would help. Im not ‘spinning’ anything.

6 hours ago, Desert Skipper said:

I thought Austin would have a stormer of a first season TBH. He has at his his previous clubs, but maybe SL clubs have worked him out a bit and his running game isn’t as effective. 

Sezer is supposed to be the little general to complement Austin and make up for his lack of playmaking. At the moment though, Leeming looks a far better option.

Too early to write Leeds off, and I’ll bet they’ll be good for a cup run. 

People started to work Austin out towards the end of the first of his seasons with us in 2019.  He’s been a busted flush since then really?  His pace has gone, no real passing game or “footy smarts” to call on, no tactical kicking game aside from a massive up and under, poor defence.  Apart from that he’s ace, if you don’t take dummies off him then he’s as close to ineffective as makes no difference.

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Did they clarify why McIlorum swinging arm clenched fist to the head wasn't a red card on the TV?

He actually hit him with the back of his hand if you look closely. Not saying there wasn't any intent but it was an unusual one.

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Did they clarify why McIlorum swinging arm clenched fist to the head wasn't a red card on the TV?

I thought in the present environment he could have received red or yellow and I think he pick up a ban. But it wasn't delivered the same way as Bentleys swinging arm, he has dished out plenty in his career far worse than the one he hit Austin with. But Austin was dazed and had to off and widdop got straight up. But injury received was not down to how hard they were hit but were the contact was. 

9 hours ago, LeeF said:

What time roughly?

How Taken 2. A player may take a penalty kick by punting, drop kicking, or place kicking the ball from any point on or behind the mark and equidistant from the touch line.

Find Touch from Penalty Kick 4. (a) If the ball is kicked into touch without touching any other player the kicking team shall restart play with a free kick. 

That seems pretty conclusive.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

19 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

It doesn't help that in Sutcliffe and Briscoe we have 2 centres who will almost always choose to run rather than pass (and when they do pass it is often poor).

With Myler and Newman (even last year Hurrell in the team) the attack had more venom in the centres. Now it feels like our wingers are more likely to score if our halves/FB throws a miss pass across the centres.

You may be right but I thought Sutcliffe had a reasonable game last night.  He at least broke the line a few times - I think he was the only Leeds player to do so.  He also normally will pass if its on, most of last night Hanley was covered plus Hanley is still carrying an injury with both a niggling groin and ligament, probably one is connected to the other.  So me thinks that impacting that combination.  Certainly Catalan attacked that edge and had quite a few breaks - a possible reason being Hanley isn't as agile as he was because of carrying that injury.

Yes Newman has more of a threat for Leeds but he does have a tendency to run across the line. That is yep sometimes need to come in but its his standard play and just runs across the line - if the defensive line is doing its job it goes nowhere, especially if no one offering themselves.

I also think Leeds overhype their youngsters. Yes they have potential but ain't anywhere ready and the young winger this week and last certainly was poor defensively.

They bombed a number of opportunities last night and me thinks if Myler was playing a couple may have been taken.  Although the worst was probably Connor not passing to the winger late on in a huge overlap - although sometimes  hard to determine if that was because the winger had not dropped back a little more to ease the passing...

The weather certainly impacted the game.  Both teams struggled to get to the oppositions 20. Not helped by a very lenient ref allowing long laying on. Meaning each teams defensive line was generally in place causing each to struggle plus made for a very poor game.

Archived