RLWC - Brian To'o swear allegiance to Australia over Samoa

Abicus

1 hour ago, rlno1 said:

Do players get paid as much for representing Samoa as they would if selected for Australia. Isnt it $20K a game?

I doubt it very very much, this decision I`ll guarantee will have little to do with money.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, UTK said:

He's the best winger in the NRL by some distance for mine, absolutely top tier finisher and probably the best yardage winger we've seen following the transformation of the role into the tackle 1/2 set starting hitup.

Nope.

Best yardage yes, best Winger I disagree.

Alex Johnston (19 games) - 27 tries, 35 linebreaks, 48 tackle breaks, 122 metres per game

Brian To'o (18 games) - 14 tries, 20 linebreaks, 116 tackle breaks, 250 metres per game

Josh Addo-Carr (21 games) - 23 tries, 28 linebreaks, 74 tackle breaks, 127 metres per game

Reuben Garrick (24 games) - 21 tries, 36 linebreaks, 91 tackle breaks, 158 metres per game

5 minutes ago, Jonty58 said:

Nope.

Alex Johnston (19 games) - 27 tries, 35 linebreaks, 48 tackle breaks, 122 metres per game

Brian To'o (18 games) - 14 tries, 20 linebreaks, 116 tackle breaks, 250 metres per game

Josh Addo-Carr (21 games) - 23 tries, 28 linebreaks, 74 tackle breaks, 127 metres per game

Reuben Garrick (24 games) - 21 tries, 36 linebreaks, 91 tackle breaks, 158 metres per game

I guess it depends a fair bit on which attributes you place importance upon but nonetheless I think those stats provide a solid enough case for To'o anyway. 

His yardage and tackle-busting ability is so far ahead of those competitors that you'd question on first look whether they played the same position.

In considering the tries/linebreaks element To'o suffers from the try-scoring feats of his centre Burton (17) who took more of his opportunities than Gagai (10), Olam (12), and Parker (8) took from their wingers. Combine that with the fact that he played the least games and the gap in this respect closes between To'o and JAC/Garrick, Johnston is well-established as a brilliant finisher across his career there's no arguments to be had there but he did benefit from being on the end of the best attacking edge in the league.

Overall I don't think it's too controversial to argue that To'o has a much greater all round ability to have an impact on games than his compatriots. Additionally, during Origin To'o proved his talents can translate to the level of representative football, the stats comparison for his debut series reads fairly impressively.

Brian To'o - 2 tries, 3 linebreaks, 14 tackle breaks, 218 metres per game

Josh Addo-Carr - 2 tries, 3 linebreaks, 9 tackle breaks, 86 metres per game

This looks like the start of the dismantling of Samoa. Hopefully it doesn’t happen. Australia has more than enough players to choose from without more of this rubbish from the likes of Meninga and Cleary Snr.

"There has never been a Challenge Cup semifinal of 65,000 either individually or combined" - Damien

On 24/02/2022 at 22:57, The Rocket said:

G`day Double, as I said I think it was more a matter of poorly expressing himself than any deliberate denigration of the homeland of his parents, in fact from what I recall of the article he said he had consulted his parents and they had encouraged him to play for Oz.

Here`s my take on it, his parents are probably immigrants and probably plan on spending the rest of their lives in Australia, they probably envisage the same thing for their descendants. They spend their lives mixing with Australians, at work, the shops, probably even at Panthers League`s club, they have been given the opportunity of their son representing their adopted homeland, can there be any greater honour, every where they go they will be congratulated and lauded, it is an honour that will remain in their family forever, representing Australia.

I dare say his parents would love for him to represent Samoa at some stage, because they would be just as proud of this, but in the meantime the chance to represent their adopted homeland and the acceptance that would engender is too great an opportunity to pass by for an immigrant family. This of course doesn`t mean they love Samoa any less.

Or most Pacific Island family the parents would most likely tell Brian To’o to let God decide and give their blessings to whatever decisions their son makes. It’s not Brian To’o fault given that the eligibility laws in rugby league gives him that option to decide. 

32 minutes ago, Taniwha Warriors said:

Or most Pacific Island family the parents would most likely tell Brian To’o to let God decide and give their blessings to whatever decisions their son makes. It’s not Brian To’o fault given that the eligibility laws in rugby league gives him that option to decide. 

Also Samoan fans will welcome him back with open arms no matter what he does. PI fans support their players no matter who they play for. 

20 minutes ago, Keith989 said:

Also Samoan fans will welcome him back with open arms no matter what he does. PI fans support their players no matter who they play for. 

For sure, all Pacific Islanders support their players whether they play for their Island nations or Australia and NZ. Money would also play a huge factor in To’o decision as most Island families. 

On 24/02/2022 at 13:03, EastLondonMike said:

As good a winger as To'o is, i don't see him as a match winner in the same way Josh Addo Carr could be. A bigger concern would be if Luai and others followed suit and walked away from Samoa.

This kind of situation currently will always happen when Australia come calling.

It would be particularly bad if Luai was tempted over which weakens Samoa but isn’t likely to be ahead of either Munster or Keary at 6.

On 25/02/2022 at 08:24, Jonty58 said:

Nope.

To’o & Addo-Carr are easily the best 2 wingers in the NRL,both bring their own differing attributes to the table & so it really depends on what attributes individual’s value most when offering opinions on who is the best.

Having them both playing for Australian outside of say Mitchell & Tom Trboiovic makes the Kangeroos 3/4s look a lethal combination that other nations will struggle to contain.

On 26/02/2022 at 09:41, RL Sonja said:

This looks like the start of the dismantling of Samoa. Hopefully it doesn’t happen. Australia has more than enough players to choose from without more of this rubbish from the likes of Meninga and Cleary Snr.

I don't see any rubbish anywhere, like many so called 'Islander's' BT is a born and bred Australian and just maybe had he been born elsewhere and not in a place where this sport is so prominent and an influential way of life for young kids he may never have had an introduction to it in the first place, even his parent's birthplace may not have given him the opportunity, also some of those who you say could dismantle the Island teams are even 2nd generation Australian/NZ born, they should be just as proud to play for their place of birth as for choosing a heritage team.

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

To’o & Addo-Carr are easily the best 2 wingers in the NRL,both bring their own differing attributes to the table & so it really depends on what attributes individual’s value most when offering opinions on who is the best.

Having them both playing for Australian outside of say Mitchell & Tom Trboiovic makes the Kangeroos 3/4s look a lethal combination that other nations will struggle to contain.

If Aus play those two Carr and To'o or choose another two winger's, I don't think it will matter a jot, I was only thinking the other day this year is the 40th anniversary of the Invincibles team, this is my opinion but I can see this present set of player's that Australia can choose from being every bit as good as that team they will be in a different class to every other nation in the WC.

On 26/02/2022 at 20:41, RL Sonja said:

What a ridiculous comment. Firstly, Samoa has been a hopeless rabble for years and the players have been very vocal about not wanting to play for them while the current coach is in charge. Secondly, To'o is Australian and has every right to choose to play for Australia. I hope you are just as upset about Ben Currie and Morgan Knowles choosing to play for England over Ireland and Wales - countries they actually have played for before.

36 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

If Aus play those two Carr and To'o or choose another two winger's, I don't think it will matter a jot, I was only thinking the other day this year is the 40th anniversary of the Invincibles team, this is my opinion but I can see this present set of player's that Australia can choose from being every bit as good as that team they will be in a different class to every other nation in the WC.

I disagree H I think those 2 are that far ahead of the next Australian wingers in line that they’ll make a huge difference.

Its a bit premature comparing this years possible Kangeroos to the Invincibles especially given their lack of Test experience,but as good as they could be I just can’t see them matching up to a team that contained the likes of Grothe,Meninga,Rogers,Kenny,Sterling,Price,Pearce and a certain Wally Lewis who couldn’t make the run on side.

3 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

I disagree H I think those 2 are that far ahead of the next Australian wingers in line that they’ll make a huge difference.

Its a bit premature comparing this years possible Kangeroos to the Invincibles especially given their lack of Test experience,but as good as they could be I just can’t see them matching up to a team that contained the likes of Grothe,Meninga,Rogers,Kenny,Sterling,Price,Pearce and a certain Wally Lewis who couldn’t make the run on side.

Hardly any of the first choice 17 will have played a test outside Aus/NZ. The last test they played was in NZ and they lost. They only have to slip up once and they are out. A three test series and they win 10/10.

England, Tonga, Samoa and NZ are all capable of a performance on the day.

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

Dav, it is the passage of time that makes player's great through reputation, if we had the TARDIS and go forward 40 years I think that this present crop would be spoke about just as highly as those from yesteryear.

My opinion of course.

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Hardly any of the first choice 17 will have played a test outside Aus/NZ. The last test they played was in NZ and they lost. They only have to slip up once and they are out. A three test series and they win 10/10.

England, Tonga, Samoa and NZ are all capable of a performance on the day.

Would you be brave enough to place money with a bookie and bet against Aus winning the WC, I wouldn't.

On 26/02/2022 at 09:41, RL Sonja said:

It's weird.

On one hand the Aussies can't be bothered with IRL..... on the other they don't want to risk other countries being competitive (assuming there has been some sort of underhanded from them in this)

Surely their board and fans can see the benefit of teams like Somoa and Fiji etc joining the big 4.

Brian To'o was born and has lived his entire life in Australia.  It is entirely legitimate for Australia to select him for their national side.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

55 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Would you be brave enough to place money with a bookie and bet against Aus winning the WC, I wouldn't.

That's not what I said though. World Cups are not State of Origin or Test Series, they come down to 80 minutes - hence why England nearly got Australia in 2017 despite being the weaker team on paper and why NZ got Australia in 2008 (the Aussies had Lockyer, Inglis, Slater, Thurston, Falou, Gallen, Smith in that incredible side).

12 minutes ago, Scubby said:

That's not what I said though. World Cups are not State of Origin or Test Series, they come down to 80 minutes - hence why England nearly got Australia in 2017 despite being the weaker team on paper and why NZ got Australia in 2008 (the Aussies had Lockyer, Inglis, Slater, Thurston, Falou, Gallen, Smith in that incredible side).

Yes I understand that, and you have just given some examples why they can fail in pursuit of the WC, BUT would you back against Aus winning it, as I say I wouldn't, will you?

36 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Brian To'o was born and has lived his entire life in Australia.  It is entirely legitimate for Australia to select him for their national side.

It’s not just about him. Australia has been doing it for years now. 

"There has never been a Challenge Cup semifinal of 65,000 either individually or combined" - Damien

Just now, RL Sonja said:

It’s not just about him. Australia has been doing it for years now. 

What, picking people born in Australia to play for Australia?  That sounds fair enough to me.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I don't see any rubbish anywhere, like many so called 'Islander's' BT is a born and bred Australian and just maybe had he been born elsewhere and not in a place where this sport is so prominent and an influential way of life for young kids he may never have had an introduction to it in the first place, even his parent's birthplace may not have given him the opportunity, also some of those who you say could dismantle the Island teams are even 2nd generation Australian/NZ born, they should be just as proud to play for their place of birth as for choosing a heritage team.

They should play for whoever they like.

And Australia should lay off pulling another lever to screw over other nations. 

Just now, Dunbar said:

What, picking people born in Australia to play for Australia?  That sounds fair enough to me.

No picking players merely to undermine other nations. 

1 minute ago, RL Sonja said:

No picking players merely to undermine other nations. 

If Brian To'o is the best winger in Australia come the end of the year and Australia select him for the Kangaroos then that is fine.  He is Australian after all.

Archived