Sat 26th-Mon 28th Feb: The Betfred Challenge Cup Round Four Match Thread

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, clwydianrange said:

I fully agree with you Mark on all counts, especially Andy M, but the decision for us not to play should have been taken by the council who own the ground and not one of their tenants. It’s childish beyond belief.

This could also depend on the terms of the tenancy agreement and who it's with. In fact I'm wondering if it's actually with the WRU and was taken out when they tried their big push in N. Wales with Joe Lydon a few years back. If so it may well have a clause giving the WRU first say on ground use and they now see us as a threat to them.

2 hours ago, Cw25 said:

News alert

London Broncos will actually win a match or 2 this season. 

I actually don't think they will finish the season, but if they do I have them down for winning about 5

Workingham H

Sheffield H

Dewsbury H

Newcastle A

Barrow H

They won't win away in Cumbria, but I do believe that they will pick up one surprise away win. 

However 5 wins won't be enough to keep them up 😞

4 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Of the ties I think Doncaster V Haven looks a possible upset. Fax should comfortably dispose of Fev. Worky V Dewsbury should be very tight and just expecting Worky to sneak it.  I think the other games look petty one sided. Batley, Fev(was only kidding before), Sheffield, Bradford, Barrow, York, and Leigh should all have comforatble wins.

Oxy how much is admission to the Fax v Fev  game on Sunday, i can't find anything on either clubs website, cheers.

4 hours ago, JonM said:

They've competed in every Challenge Cup since 2000 apart from last year's cutdown version and have gone out to amateur opposition in the first round almost every time (West Bank Bears, Normanton, Myton Warriors in recent seasons). What's changed this year that makes you think they're likely to compete with a top championship club like Batley?

Oh I don't know, perhaps it's because, for the first time,  they've been training full time, no worries about getting up for work, and got the full backing of a government establishment, nutrition, medical etc. They've got belief, real belief, and, more importantly, to put one over the 15 aside colleagues, who don't have anything as prestigious as the challenge cup. 

1 hour ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Oh I don't know, perhaps it's because, for the first time,  they've been training full time, no worries about getting up for work, and got the full backing of a government establishment, nutrition, medical etc. They've got belief, real belief, and, more importantly, to put one over the 15 aside colleagues, who don't have anything as prestigious as the challenge cup. 

Perhaps this super conditioning won't compensate for not being as good as their opponents.

3 hours ago, crashmon said:

I actually don't think they will finish the season, but if they do I have them down for winning about 5

Workingham H

Sheffield H

Dewsbury H

Newcastle A

Barrow H

They won't win away in Cumbria, but I do believe that they will pick up one surprise away win. 

Can't see them beating Sheffield Newcastle or Barrow 

1 hour ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

I’ll give you 30 start if you want a bet 🤣

When London played at Fev I thought they did the ok. Granted the the weather was poor and the pitch heavy but they defended well and probably their biggest issue was creating chances with both their tries from Fev mistakes. I don’t think they will win many but are probably better than one or two are giving them credit for.

11 hours ago, Fevrover said:

Oxy how much is admission to the Fax v Fev  game on Sunday, i can't find anything on either clubs website, cheers.

Nig, £17 for early birds at Fev club shop or £20 on the day at the Shay.🙂

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

16 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Of the ties I think Doncaster V Haven looks a possible upset. Fax should comfortably dispose of Fev. Worky V Dewsbury should be very tight and just expecting Worky to sneak it.  I think the other games look petty one sided. Batley, Fev(was only kidding before), Sheffield, Bradford, Barrow, York, and Leigh should all have comforatble wins.

Think the York game will be close, Knights are playing 4 young lads plus Ogden is starting his first game for the Knights.

19 hours ago, gogledd said:

Please NOTE:

The North Wales Crusaders v Hunslet RLFC will be a 14:00 kick off on Saturday 26th February

We've had to change our game to Caldy RUFC on the Wirral 

Originally our home fixture was Sunday 27th but the Wales Rugby Union objected to our game being played at the Zip World Stadium, because the Wales RU Under20s have a Six Nations Game scheduled for 10th March. The WRU claim they need the pitch in tiptop condition.....

.....yet incredibly the RGC rugby union side is playing in the same stadium on 5th March. Its caused no end of problems for us locating a suitable alternative.

Mmm. The pitch needs to be in tip-top condition - so the two No 10s can spend 80 minutes hoofing the ball off it.

Please NOTE:

The North Wales Crusaders v Hunslet RLFC will be a 14:00 kick off on Saturday 26th February

Originally our home fixture was Sunday 27th but the Wales Rugby Union objected to our game being played at the Zip World Stadium, because the Wales RU Under20s have a Six Nations Game scheduled for 10th March. The WRU claim they need the pitch in tiptop condition.....

.....yet incredibly the RGC rugby union side is playing in the same stadium on 5th March. Its caused no end of problems for us locating a suitable alternative.

Mmm. The pitch needs to be in tip-top condition - so the two No 10s can spend 80 minutes hoofing the ball off it.

Please NOTE:

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

On 24/02/2022 at 11:52, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

The thing with the Royal Navy is they're not your usual amateur team. They include Royal Marines, these blokes are ultra fit, not only physically but mentally. They have the back up  most super League teams dream of. Physios, medics etc. They train the equivalent to full time. I think they'll give Batley a run for their money. And may come out on top.

No chance of the game being called off for a waterlogged pitch this week.

Just ask the Navy to bring one of their boats.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

17 hours ago, crashmon said:

Workingham H

Yes, I think they'll beat Workingham.

18 hours ago, crashmon said:

Workingham H

Sheffield H

Dewsbury H

Newcastle A

Barrow H

Won't finish season? Have a day off pal 

1 hour ago, Griff said:

No chance of the game being called off for a waterlogged pitch this week.

Just ask the Navy to bring one of their boats.

Boats being slang for submarines which one would you like ? Hunter Killer or Trident.....Trident boats are 150 metres long having to carry all those ICBM's so best go with the Astute class HK as they are only 97 metres in length .

2 hours ago, Stirlin said:

Boats being slang for submarines which one would you like ? Hunter Killer or Trident.....Trident boats are 150 metres long having to carry all those ICBM's so best go with the Astute class HK as they are only 97 metres in length .

It's nice that folk take everything I say so seriously.⛵

On 24/02/2022 at 14:27, gogledd said:

Please NOTE:

Why on earth, in this day and age, didn’t you tell the Welsh rugger union to go to hell????? It beggars belief !

Archived