Sat 26th-Mon 28th Feb: The Betfred Challenge Cup Round Four Match Thread

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Rowan said:

So there are 11 Super Leagues sides granted a free pass into the last 16 without having to beat a single team in the competition - and there are still  people who believe that Rugby League is not all about Super League.

Name another sport that involves all pro/semi pro sides which doesn't have the top division teams come into the competition later than the lower league teams? 

27 minutes ago, Rowan said:

Fair enough RSN - but at least they normally join a bit earlier (third round out of 7 in FA Cup) than offering them the chance of a final after three games. Before Super League every pro club started at the same time. - Round One.

In the FA Cup, over 700 clubs take part, from the very earliest stages to the final. The Premier League clubs only join when the other sides have been whittled down to less than a tenth of that. It isn't comparable.

Plus, given the much more physical nature of RL, it is probably safer that amateur village sides don't go up against full-time professional clubs. In Football, that just means a heavy beating; in Rugby League, that could mean serious injury.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

In the FA Cup, over 700 clubs take part, from the very earliest stages to the final. The Premier League clubs only join when the other sides have been whittled down to less than a tenth of that. It isn't comparable.

Plus, given the much more physical nature of RL, it is probably safer that amateur village sides don't go up against full-time professional clubs. In Football, that just means a heavy beating; in Rugby League, that could mean serious injury.

I don't think any one would suggest that .however the idea that saints could draw Wigan far earlier and so one goes out before the quarter finals is what made the Rugby League Challenge Cup what it was. Super League are not interested in that sort of jeopardy.

2 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

He was excellent on Channel 4, however.

This does go to show the need to know what you’re commentating on. Amor subconsciously knows Super League inside and out but step away from that and it’s messy.  

IMHO he has forgotten everything he knew about RL  and only " understands"  SL and so goes with a certain narrative that has nothing to do with York or Newcastle.

T

3 hours ago, crashmon said:

2200 => 1400 =>550.

Yes the 550 was the cup, but there are no £1 tickets for Dons ST holders for the York game, so if they are sub 1K for York, then the whole move will be called into question.

Not to mention the Wimbledon football manager already complaining about the effect of Rugby on the pitch, and we have only played 3 matches on it so far

Ticket prices were cut to just £ 15 for this game (Big thabnks to Bradford for allowing this)

https://twitter.com/LondonBroncosRL/status/1497614948104552452

Perhaps Hughes could hire Vincent Van Gogh as Commercial Manager - after all they need someone to able to paint a better picture...

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

2 hours ago, RSN said:

Name another sport that involves all pro/semi pro sides which doesn't have the top division teams come into the competition later than the lower league teams? 

That may be true, but we don't have to always follow other sports as we think ours is the best, And I still recall the old Challenge Cup draws of old where all the teams went into the hat together leading to some great first round games between the top clubs. It's the jeopardy of a completely fair cup competition.

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

Re tonight's televised game v Widnes weather in Leigh atrocious it is hammering down with rain as I write this and is nearly 100% heavy forecast all day easing to 90% chance 2 hours prior to kick off then 80% for the rest of the evening during the game.

Leigh fans have not taken to Monday night games and being CC with all to pay it may keep some of the season ST holders away and Widnes fans don't travel in big numbers in my experience, so I am expecting a bad attendance this evening.

If you take the chance of walking up to the ground with a brolly the stewards will confiscate it and pile them all up near the turnstile you entered, apparently they can be used as a weapon🥴.

15 hours ago, crashmon said:

2200 => 1400 =>550.

Yes the 550 was the cup, but there are no £1 tickets for Dons ST holders for the York game, so if they are sub 1K for York, then the whole move will be called into question.

Not to mention the Wimbledon football manager already complaining about the effect of Rugby on the pitch, and we have only played 3 matches on it so far

I've not seen any thoughts from Man of Kent on the success of this ground share, increased attendance figures and general match day experience for a while.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Re tonight's televised game v Widnes weather in Leigh atrocious it is hammering down with rain as I write this and is nearly 100% heavy forecast all day easing to 90% chance 2 hours prior to kick off then 80% for the rest of the evening during the game.

Leigh fans have not taken to Monday night games and being CC with all to pay it may keep some of the season ST holders away and Widnes fans don't travel in big numbers in my experience, so I am expecting a bad attendance this evening.

If you take the chance of walking up to the ground with a brolly the stewards will confiscate it and pile them all up near the turnstile you entered, apparently they can be used as a weapon🥴.

Getting them all in early Harry. Kudos

Wrong thread

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Makes me wonder why I'm bothering.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

Despite the referee unable to stop the bout due to my team being totally outclassed and unable to defend themselves, I thoroughly enjoyed everything about the game between the Royal Navy and Batley (stand-fast the score line). The game was played in the right spirit, the crowd were spirited and welcoming, and the sun shone. Plus, it was great to catch up with old shipmates who formed the original RNRL team 25 years ago.

Armed Forces RL has come a long way in that time and I was proud of The Brothers 'never surrender' attitude even though their hopes and dreams were blown out of the water well before half time. Yet, the second half display exemplified the military ethos and that solitary try was celebrated, justifiably, like a post-Trafalgar lash-up.

Well played Batley and here's to a successful cup run.

21 hours ago, crashmon said:

2200 => 1400 =>550.

Having seen his players, the day before the Broncos game, let slip a 2-0 lead to only draw at home to one of the very few teams below his in the table, AFC Wimbledon's manager will be looking for excuses. Any excuses.

Archived