Va'aiga "Inga" Tuigamala

A legend of my club and the game as a whole, an unbelievable talent and by all accounts, an absolute gentleman off the field. He provided some great memories for lads like me growing up. I always recall my mum and dad giving me a present on the morning of the 94 cup final, it was a new Wigan shirt with ‘Tuigamala 2’ on and I was buzzing. 

RIP Inga The Winger. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cracking player, nice guy.  Sad news.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

I presume you're referring to this match?

Would you believe not!

My example clearly wasn't his debut. It was a Regal Trophy match in 1995 where Widnes were winning something like 16-4 with 10 minutes to go and he scored the equalising try before Wigan won in extra-time.

Tragic news, far to young.
RIP Inga.

Such a nice fella, used to go in the pub I frequented as a teenager and sit there nursing a pint of water.  Had dozens of Wigan shirts over the years, Ingas the only one I kept, legend.

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

Think he was a centre in a game I watched up here , but to say he was a handful was an understatement. Just the complete package 

He'd been given the "Inga the Winger" nickname before he switched codes. Wigan already had plenty of wing talent, and he turned into a great centre.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I remember a Rah Rah match being on after he retired from RL and his name being mentioned often. It eventually dawned on me- he was on the pitch and playing, and I hadn't noticed. You knew when he was playing League! Grisly Stuff! 

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

I think a lot of people from both sides of The Great Divide remember this hand-off. Not sure "taunts" is quite the word.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, Futtocks said:

He'd been given the "Inga the Winger" nickname before he switched codes. Wigan already had plenty of wing talent, and he turned into a great centre.

We did but it was a sign of how good this guy was that he kept Jason Robinson out of that 1994 Challenge Cup Final team, playing on the wing in that number 2 jersey. The response from Billy Whiz? Come back in 1995 and score 2 try’s to win us the game. 

It’s just staggering to think that happened. Two absolute Rugby legends battling out for a spot on the wing at a small town rugby league club. Jeez I was a lucky lad growing up as a 6,7,8,9,10,11 year old watching that mob. 

4 hours ago, corvusxiii said:

I remember a Rah Rah match being on after he retired from RL and his name being mentioned often. It eventually dawned on me- he was on the pitch and playing, and I hadn't noticed. You knew when he was playing League! Grisly Stuff! 

First time I saw him on Tv is when The All Blacks did a tour of 1993 ( same years as NZRL) but I'm sure he was the star player at Gateshead Stadium and that and Wigan wa my love for both codes.

15 hours ago, EggFace said:

First time I saw him on Tv is when The All Blacks did a tour of 1993 ( same years as NZRL) but I'm sure he was the star player at Gateshead Stadium and that and Wigan wa my love for both codes.

I recall Stevo referring to him as Inga the Malingerer on his Pie debut. Worked out well I think.

Was he better suited to league do you think? I'm thinking if a player is going to do something it's more likely to happen in a RL match than RU.

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

5 minutes ago, corvusxiii said:

I recall Stevo referring to him as Inga the Malingerer on his Pie debut. Worked out well I think.

Was he better suited to league do you think? I'm thinking if a player is going to do something it's more likely to happen in a RL match than RU.

Yes I wished he stayed with League but it was the stupid money John Hall dangled to him to come to the Falcons and who can blame him.

Rugby League got almost all the peak years of him.

But there is one RU moment of his that I treasure, and that's when he got the chance to run at and through the over-hyped motormouth Wallaby player David Campese.

Campese got completely splattered, while I'm not convinced Inga even noticed his attempt at a tackle. Think England v Jonah Lomu. That pathetic.

Glorious.

Hilarious.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

59 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

But there is one RU moment of his that I treasure, and that's when he got the chance to run at and through the over-hyped motormouth Wallaby player David Campese.

Campese got completely splattered, while I'm not convinced Inga even noticed his attempt at a tackle. Think England v Jonah Lomu. That pathetic.

Glorious.

Hilarious.

I remember watching highlights of Samoa v France. It was actually Frightening! Scary!

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

6 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Glorious.

Hilarious.

Mike Catt 'Doormat' moment?

Archived