Thur Feb 24th SL: Wigan Warriors vs Huddersfield Giants K.O. 8pm

HawkMan

Wigan vs Huddersfield   

9 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win ?

• Wigan
    • Huddersfield

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/02/22 at 20:00

Should be an interesting game,good start for Giants , pity this isn't on Sky. Must be a reason this is on tonight,  maybe Wigan Athletic have something to do with it. 

3 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Should be an interesting game,good start for Giants , pity this isn't on Sky. Must be a reason this is on tonight,  maybe Wigan Athletic have something to do with it. 

It’s because Latics play Sunderland at home on Saturday. It is a big game in fairness and probably a fair call given the weather (although they clearly wouldn’t have known it would be this bad when it was announced). 

As for tonight’s game, it really could go either way. I’ve been really happy with most of what we’ve done so far but there has been some poor bits as well and Huddersfield look strong.

Due to the loss of Fages and Levi I’ll go Wigan by 6. 

I've been impressed with how we've started the season, so I think Wigan should win this, particularly considering the absence of Levi and Fages from the Huddersfield side. Having said that, there's always a team that is the 'surprise package' each year and I have a feeling this year it will be Huddersfield. I think it will be a tight game with Wigan perhaps pegged back at half time before edging ahead in the second half.

4 hours ago, my missus said:

i predict a storm called jai field will hit huddersfield tonight Wigan by 18.

As Phil Lynott almost sang "We all must beware of the Ginger Pearl".

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

"10 min - John Drake pinned this topic"

Ta. :kolobok_wink:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

24 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Would be if either team were playing Leeds. they seem to have struck a deal to have every game broadcast live...

Well, it hasn't done much for Leeds' results so far - maybe the decision-makers at Sky Sports are as tired of a certain troll poster as the rest of us are. :kolobok_biggrin:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Left ourselves too much to do after a poor start, can't fault our effort though. Well done to Wigan

Listening to Radio Manchester's commentary, and they had plenty of positive things to say about Huddersfield through the game. There's certainly more to come from the Giants, barring injuries.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Agreed to go and see the missus family down in Cornwall on the basis I’d watch it on tv🤨 Always check the listings! 

Sounded a tough game between 2 sides who’ve started well. I sense Huddersfield are going to have a big season. 

Having just about dried out from the post match deluge- I wish I was one of the hundreds doing the walk 10 minutes before time, I might have saved myself a soaking 😀 here's my take.

Wigan were worthy winners, they ran that bit harder, tackled that bit harder and had more nous about them at both ends.

We played alright, plenty of effort and endeavour but without 3 of our main strike players in Levi, Fages and Wardle, we struggled to create anything, our last tackle options were dreadful, usually one man trying to barge over or trying to run it in, when we did put a kick in to hands, our international winger unfortunately dropped it.

Wigan did the basics very well and found our weaknesses in defence, mainly Will Pryce defending 3rd in on the right edge, which Farrell was happy to take advantage of.

But Wigan's defence was outstanding, as soon as we had the ball they swamped us leaving us with no space to work with, it wasn't free flowing or particularly open, more attritional, but Wigan did what they had to.

On another day with a bit more quality in the final 3rd we may have caused more problems.

On we go though.

There was a period 10 minutes before half time and 10 minutes after half time where Huddersfield just seemed to have all the territory and Wigan just couldn't seem to find a way out, but defensively we were incredibly solid, scrambled well and in the end I think they only got one try from it. With Levi and Fages it would have been a different story and almost certainly a much closer game.

Huddersfield will be a difficult side for most teams to beat though. Their defence was very strong throughout but they just made a few mistakes at crucial times.

I actually thought Farrell had a quiet game by his standards. Bateman impressed me more on our right edge, as did Leuluai. I don't think I've ever been more wrong about a player than I was about Leuluai. I honestly thought after his pretty anonymous games last year that he was well past his best. Turns out he must have been instructed to play a different way (it seems like the game plan was just give it to Hastings) because he's looking like the old Leuluai and taking the line on, looking for an offload. And of course he's smashing the pies out of players in defence.

Field was well wrapped up, as was Mago after his first audacious offload. Huddersfield obviously did their homework on our biggest threats and did their best to nullify them and were largely successful, but with other players in our side willing to look for an offload at the right time (KPP, Bateman, Leuluai) we always had the opportunity to make a quick break out of nowhere.

My favourite part of the game was probably Farrell's first try. Cade Cust went off for a head knock very early on and hadn't returned and Wigan made an unusual switch that paid off. Hardaker went to fullback (obviously) and Bibby to right wing. Even though Pearce-Paul was our right centre for some reason he switched to left side second row, Farrell to left centre and Bateman to right centre. It seemed like more changes than necessary but we got the try through excellent play by Pearce-Paul and great support from Farrell at centre. It was either a pre-conceived contingency plan or a smart switch on the fly but it had the desired effect.

From a Wigan point of view it's a satisfying result if not an exciting performance, but we lost plenty of games like that last year and we look a much more balanced side now. I doubt Huddersfield fans will be too disappointed with the result or the performance missing 3 of their best players.

Archived