Rugby League in Popular culture

Ash Hope

There was a truly bonkers story in the Daily Mirror recently that Boy George is writing a song in respect of Stevie Ward’s retirement due to concussion and career mental health struggles. I cannot wait to hear it!

It had me thinking… what other songs/films/TV shows have referenced Rugby League in any way shape or form? 

Rugby League World writer

Twitter: @a_hope14
Mobile: iPhone 3

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Ash Hope said:

There was a truly bonkers story in the Daily Mirror recently that Boy George is writing a song in respect of Stevie Ward’s retirement due to concussion and career mental health struggles. I cannot wait to hear it!

It had me thinking… what other songs/films/TV shows have referenced Rugby League in any way shape or form? 

Looks like Stevie's got into the online magazine/mental health business. I didn't find the Mirror article, but here's a similar story from the Star: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/stevie-ward-boy-george-joins-16968766 

Good luck to him!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

Looks like Stevie's got into the online magazine/mental health business. I didn't find the Mirror article, but here's a similar story from the Star: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/stevie-ward-boy-george-joins-16968766 

Good luck to him!

71DAAC5F-9844-4304-BE1F-CA069B431872.jpeg

There was a Wakefield Trinity team poster in the back room of the Rovers on Coronation Street when Duggie Ferguson had the pub. 

There was a Hull KR drawing un the Only Fools and Horses episode “To Hull and Back”. 

Where The Heart Is had a Rugby League team in it. 

We`re big fans of the quiz show Pointless, we prefer Eggheads but it`s never shown on TV over here anymore. Couple of days ago my wife called me in, one of the final categories was 2017 Rugby League World Cup which the father and daughter team promptly chose. The three categories in which to come up with a pointless answer were :

1) cities or towns where 2017 Rugby World Cup games were held;

2) teams in the 2017 RLWC;

3) name some players who scored 3 tries in any one game.

They chose Tonga, Samoa and Papua New Guinea as their pointless answers. Unfortunately for them they weren`t, each had been recognized as a participant by a number of people, Cook Islands would have been though.

Any way, good to see Rugby League certainly not completely invisible.

27 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

We`re big fans of the quiz show Pointless, we prefer Eggheads but it`s never shown on TV over here anymore. Couple of days ago my wife called me in, one of the final categories was 2017 Rugby League World Cup which the father and daughter team promptly chose. The three categories in which to come up with a pointless answer were :

1) cities or towns where 2017 Rugby World Cup games were held;

2) teams in the 2017 RLWC;

3) name some players who scored 3 tries in any one game.

They chose Tonga, Samoa and Papua New Guinea as their pointless answers. Unfortunately for them they weren`t, each had been recognized as a participant by a number of people, Cook Islands would have been though.

Any way, good to see Rugby League certainly not completely invisible.

I think I've seen that one but don't get excited, it is the once yearly question you'll see on a British quiz show relating to RL and when there is one it is something incredibly basic like, "how many points do you get for a try in RL?" Genuinely had that question on a show a couple of months ago, I forget what the show was. Even on A Question of Sport there is hardly ever a question on RL. 

3 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I think I've seen that one but don't get excited, it is the once yearly question you'll see on a British quiz show relating to RL and when there is one it is something incredibly basic like, "how many points do you get for a try in RL?" Genuinely had that question on a show a couple of months ago, I forget what the show was. Even on A Question of Sport there is hardly ever a question on RL. 

However, it is gratifying to see how low RU people and teams score, despite decades of BBC hype. See also golf.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Ash Hope said:

I’m reliably informed by my dad who’s a music genius. Chumbawumba who sing “Iget knocked down but I get up again.” Have a B side called “Eddie Waring.” I trust his word.

Not quite. Chumbawamba put together a project called Sportchestra! which recorded 101 Songs about Sport, including one about The Talking Trilby himself: https://www.discogs.com/master/1526161-Sportchestra-101-Songs-About-Sport 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

22 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Not quite. Chumbawamba put together a project called Sportchestra! which recorded 101 Songs about Sport, including one about The Talking Trilby himself: https://www.discogs.com/master/1526161-Sportchestra-101-Songs-About-Sport 

He gracefully stood corrected. Just know you’ve now made me spend a full night listening to these 😂 On my girlfriend’s birthday as well! Some things take precedence.

7 hours ago, Futtocks said:

However, it is gratifying to see how low RU people and teams score, despite decades of BBC hype. See also golf.

I often say this, especially evident on pointless. I especially notice the amount of questions they have on athletics and tennis and there's maybe 3 or 4 answers that get good scores and then the rest no one says. 

Archived